Motorcycle Accident VS Automobiles?

Ok so Im hoping for some insight and some help argueing my point. At we we a co worker said he wanted to purchase a bike and this started a huge debate about the saftey. Of course two female co workers instantly jumped in and said there is no way they would ever allow there husbands to get a motorcycle because they are way to dangerous. They wouldnt allow it because they didnt want a dead spouse. My response was that motorcycles are no more danerous than a car if you take the proper steps ( proper gear and riding). they were arguing that you are more likely to get in a accident riding a motorcyle than in a car. i say that is crap, more people are in car accidents every year than motorcycles and if anything motorcycles can be safer than cars in some instances. I told them that it is easier to maneuver your bike out of a potentially harmful situation than it is in a car because of the handleing and what not. so basically what I am asking and looking for is some back up. Help me with some facts or just give me some input that will help be argue my point about why it is ridiculous to ban a person from getting a motorcycle because you think they are more dangerous than cars. Or again prove me wrong convince me motorcycles are just a death machine. Either way I will keep riding.

Thanks

In the wrong hands bikes are more dangerous IMO. That said I would have been dead 20yrs ago had I been driving a car instead of a bike when I came around a blind corner and found a semi trailer on the wrong side of the road. I had about 1m or 1 yard between the truck and a rock wall. I fitted through. NO WAY I WOULD STILL BE ALIVE IF I HAD BEEN DRIVING A CAR. Also have had many instances when the superior braking and handling got me off the hook. But as I said in the right hands. I started riding at about 8yrs old and am now 53. Here motorcyclists are called "Tempory Australians" so far so good (I hope). I think the last comment makes the difference, you know how vulnerable you are or should so you take care. Not like most car driveres who treat the vehicle like a consumer product. ie why didn't it stop (because you have no skill)!

Motorcycles are more dangerous.

In the Western world (UK, North America, Australia, etc), motorcyclists are statistically 8-10 times more likely to have a crash than those in a car when compared on equal terms. What's worse, motorcyclists are 35 times more likely to have a fatal crash than those in a car. This is based off statistics from 5 years ago so I should imagine the rates are higher now as seems to be the trend.

Ride if you want to ride and don't worry about what others say. :)

Don't forget that the average modern car possess far greater real-world emergency braking and steering capability than most bikes on the road, especially in the hands of your average rider/driver.

Last edited:
Of course motorcycles are more dangerous. Cars don't turn sideways when they hit some sand on an onramp. I sit through safety briefs every year and some statistics they present are that 50% of all motorcycle deaths are alcohol related. Before helmet laws were as enforced as they are now, people would die from minor accidents where if they were wearing a helmet they might still be alive. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET EVEN IF YOUR STATE DOESN'T REQUIRE IT.

I believe to consider yourself a safe motorcycle rider, you need to do all the following, all the time:
- ALWAYS wear protective gear (i.e. helmet, gloves, jacket with protection and abrasion proof pants, boots) even when going to the store down the block.
- Go the speed limit. Your chances of dying in a motorcycle accident double with every 10mph you travel over 60mph.
- Learn to read traffic. (Notice the ding dong in the prius looking in their rear mirror, maybe they consider a turn signal a inconvenience and decide your spot in your lane is more for them and not you)
- The main thing, drive Defensively! I always have an escape in mind, whether it be a large shoulder on the road or over exaggerated braking distance. Play the scenario in your mind of "what is the worst thing one of these drivers can do?" Assess your situation and avoid blind spots. Wear bright colors.

Always remember that you choose to take that risk when you ride a motorcycle. So don't get to upset with people who cut you off. It's your job to make sure you are seen. Riding motorcycles is very fun but it is not meant for everyone. So if someone doesn't see eye to eye with you on motorcycles. Understand that they have every right to disapprove.

Driving a motorcycle is more dangerous than driving cars, but if you can be smart about it that'll make the likelihood of being in a life threatening accident very slim.

Hope that helps :D

Ok so Im hoping for some insight and some help argueing my point. At we we a co worker said he wanted to purchase a bike and this started a huge debate about the saftey. Of course two female co workers instantly jumped in and said there is no way they would ever allow there husbands to get a motorcycle because they are way to dangerous. They wouldnt allow it because they didnt want a dead spouse. My response was that motorcycles are no more danerous than a car if you take the proper steps ( proper gear and riding). they were arguing that you are more likely to get in a accident riding a motorcyle than in a car. i say that is crap, more people are in car accidents every year than motorcycles and if anything motorcycles can be safer than cars in some instances. I told them that it is easier to maneuver your bike out of a potentially harmful situation than it is in a car because of the handleing and what not. so basically what I am asking and looking for is some back up. Help me with some facts or just give me some input that will help be argue my point about why it is ridiculous to ban a person from getting a motorcycle because you think they are more dangerous than cars. Or again prove me wrong convince me motorcycles are just a death machine. Either way I will keep riding.

Thanks

:nono::cuss::doh2::fencers::confused::banghead:
:laugh2::mad::rmwl::ugh::eek::wow::icon_beer::shaking head::wilynily::poke::fencers::box::cuss:

:sport12:

Last edited:
Motorcycles are more dangerous...motorcyclists are statistically 8-10 times more likely to have a crash than those in a car when compared on equal terms...

I call BS. You need to look very carefully at the method used to determine "equal". The best report I have ever read was done by a police department where they took same age, same sex, same skill, all combined with miles driven and found motorcycles to be involved in fewer accidents.

If you look at who rides (age, sex and personality type) motorcycles the most and how they ride, it is no wonder motorcycles have a high accident rate, but that does not make it the machine's fault.

Dave

We all know that motorcycles are more dangerous,so why do so many of us modify our bikes in ways that make them hard to be seen. Dark colors for bikes and clothing,helmets etc. Small tail lights, useless mirrors and tiny closely spaced turn signals increase chances of being rear ended. Oh it looks so good,but is it actually a death wish. I always thought that safety is paramount.

Last edited:
These were US statistics based off number of recorded accidents per 100,000 so it doesn't take age, race or sex into account; just pure numbers. I believe the actual number was something like 13/100,000 for cars and 72/100,000.

Since 100% of all accidents are user-created, of course it's not the fault of the machine. That doesn't change the fact that motorcycling is more dangerous.

Last edited:
Most people I talk to are harping on the severity of the injuries and odds of fatal trauma! The ratio of vehicles vs accidents is mostly irrelevant! The court of public opinion (non-riders) is what matters? Be safe and try not piss off the wrong driver! If you must piss them off, do it well!

Just as there is no argument that driving in a full size SUV is overall safer than a Smart car from a collision viewpoint, let's be honest and admit that the more space and steel/aluminum you have around you the better off you are going to be when you tangle with another vehicle. That's just physics. Just the physical exposure and vulnerability on a bike (or even walking) puts you more at risk from a baseline standpoint. There are just too many non responsive, distracted cage/truck drivers out there which often are very tough to mitigate if you are on a bike. And although a bike is more maneurverable than a car that often won't get you out of trouble if a distracted driver encroaches on your space. Bottom line, if you are out on the open road you aren't much more exposed on a bike, but in urban situations of course you are more vulnerable. If you ignore that basic fact and assume you are just as safe on two wheels as four wheels you are setting yourself up for disaster.

Last edited:
Statistics are like puppets

The problem with Statistics is that like puppets, you can make them say anything you want. It just depends who's hand is up their butt.

Motorcycles leave the operator much more exposed to other peoples' (and their operators' mistakes) That alone makes them more dangerous.

On a bike you don't have crumple zones, seat belts, airbags, roll over protection, and all the little electronic nanny's watching over you (although that part is changing- just look at the latest R1's electronics) The Goldwing has an optional airbag now, but really the potential for danger is part of why we ride. If your only concern was for cheap transportation from place to place in safety you would probably buy a bus pass, or maybe a Toyota Corolla.

There are few guarantees in life (other than death), and we all make choices based on what interests or excites us. I choose to ride motorcycles because I love it and it makes me happy. I know the risks and do what I can to mitigate them. If I die while riding it will at least be doing something that I enjoy, and I am all right with that, since I can think of too many ways that would be worse. It is why I don't ever try to convince someone else to start riding, it should only be for those that make the choice for themselves.

Lee's reasoning is exactly why I chose to ride motorcycles.

While I may post up the statistics and acknowledge that motorcycles are more dangerous, they're just numbers. This thread asked the question of 'are motorcycles more dangerous?' of course the answer is yes; simple physics dictates this!

The reality is that I actually don't care at all and choose to ride because I love it and I encourage everyone I meet that shows interest in bikes to try it.

Last edited:
Motorcycles are not any more dangerous than a car. Both ride/drive just fine and safely. However, the consequences of any accident are MUCH more dangerous as an outcome for the motorcycle than any car at the same rate(s) of speed and the same driver "qualities and traits" exercised while operating the machine(s).

Driven within the confines of the law by a responsible driver, the motorcycle is almost as safe as the car. Motorcycles have to avoid obstacles that a car can easily hit and survive where a motorcycle would be in peril. As always, you have to watch for the other drivers around you and in a car, the driver tends to do a lot less of this with their "shell" around them. A rider is (hopefully) 100 times more aware of their surroundings and always hunting for danger in every direction.

I tend to drive like EVERYONE is out to kill me. Every vehicle is a threat!!

Last edited:
Come on guys, motorcycles are far more dangerous than cars.

We only have 2 wheels, our bikes want to fall over when stationary, our brakes don't work was well due to the small contact patch of rubber from our tyres.

We don't have seatbelts, airbags, a protective shell around us etc

A minor bingle when driving a car damages the car slightly but becomes life threatening if on a motorcycle.

We are much more likely to get injured in any accident we are involved in.

As much as we all love it, don't kid yourselves that it's not more dangerous than driving a car.

The problem with Statistics is that like puppets, you can make them say anything you want. It just depends who's hand is up their butt.

Motorcycles leave the operator much more exposed to other peoples' (and their operators' mistakes) That alone makes them more dangerous.

On a bike you don't have crumple zones, seat belts, airbags, roll over protection, and all the little electronic nanny's watching over you (although that part is changing- just look at the latest R1's electronics) The Goldwing has an optional airbag now, but really the potential for danger is part of why we ride. If your only concern was for cheap transportation from place to place in safety you would probably buy a bus pass, or maybe a Toyota Corolla.

There are few guarantees in life (other than death), and we all make choices based on what interests or excites us. I choose to ride motorcycles because I love it and it makes me happy. I know the risks and do what I can to mitigate them. If I die while riding it will at least be doing something that I enjoy, and I am all right with that, since I can think of too many ways that would be worse. It is why I don't ever try to convince someone else to start riding, it should only be for those that make the choice for themselves.

Amen. :ditto:

We only have 2 wheels, our bikes want to fall over when stationary, our brakes don't work was well due to the small contact patch of rubber from our tyres.

A minor bingle when driving a car damages the car slightly but becomes life threatening if on a motorcycle.

As much as we all love it, don't kid yourselves that it's not more dangerous than driving a car.

BINGO! :australia:

Excellent responses everybody ! I suggest the following two books which I found to be helpful:
1. Ride Hard Ride Smart by Pat Hahn. (Ultimate street strategies for advanced motorcyclists).
2. Street Strategies by David L. Hough (A survival guide for motorcyclists).

Both books give many real world situations and what can go wrong and how to avoid or at least reduce the likelihood of a mishap. It helps to have mentally rehersed as many perils as possible before suddenly facing one for the first time on the road. The first book references the Harry Hurt report, and gives statistics that answer the questions that have been asked.

Let's be careful out there. (I'm talking to myself as well as anybody else).

Let me ask some simple questions. Is there anyone here that cannot ride from point a to point b without falling over? Can you apply your brakes and stop safely? Can you recognize dangerous riding conditions?

It is not an inherent inability of a motorcycle to perform safely but our choices that place us in danger.

I am a professional tree climber and have been for over 43 years. It is classified as one of the top 10 most dangerous professions. Every year we develop safer tools and techniques. Every time there is a death or major trauma there is a scramble to see what tool or technique failed and what ones could have been used to prevent it.

No one wants to take responsibility or admit to a bad choice when it is so much easier to blame someone or something else. There will always be true accidents but believe me when I say most accidents are caused by bad choices.

We live or die by the choices we make.

Dave

Motorcycles are safe just as long as you don't fall off get rear ended or get run over.
I ride like this, Imagine that you are invisible to all on the roads and you will be OK!

Back