Michelin Pilot Power 3

Wondering if anyone has tried these new Michelins yet and done some serious mileage on them? Last 2 sets have I have run the Power 2 CT and loved them, despite relatively short lifespan. Intersted in your opinion of the Pilot 3's. This weekend looks like we can finally ride around here. (Toronto)

Really like the look of them. Just ordered some bridgestones, looked at the powers just couldn't see paying more for a full sport tire with my riding style and no track use. I'm a pretty cautious rider, getting a ticket will cause problems at work, being a driver. Fifteen over is wreckless driving and if convicted I loose my job. Unless you do track days I would stay with a sport touring tire and get more miles out of them.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk

Really like the look of them. Just ordered some bridgestones, looked at the powers just couldn't see paying more for a full sport tire with my riding style and no track use. I'm a pretty cautious rider, getting a ticket will cause problems at work, being a driver. Fifteen over is wreckless driving and if convicted I loose my job. Unless you do track days I would stay with a sport touring tire and get more miles out of them.

I have to say that I don't disagree with you. Most modern sport-touring tires get great mileage with very good grip. I went with the Dunlop Roadsmart 2 late last Fall, but haven't ridden the bike yet this year. They were rated really well.

I also just recently put some on my FZ. In the 10 miles I've put on them I am very happy. We'll see how they hold up to track day and normal riding.

20130326_213917_zps67216f62.jpg

I've already decided they are going to be my next tire. If you don't push it and are just commuting the Pilot Road series are ok, but I like to go hard on the weekend and feel my PR2's giving on me. I hate that feeling.

If you don't push it and are just commuting the Pilot Road series are ok, but I like to go hard on the weekend and feel my PR2's giving on me. I hate that feeling.

So what do you say to the people who have used the Pilot Roads on track & ride way faster than you on the street? We've got a few people on this forum who use PR2 and PR3 and are plenty fast on them

Last edited:
So what do you say to the people who have used the Pilot Roads on track & ride way faster than you on the street?

They are awesome riders and I'm trying to get away with doing too much because of better tech. I've just never felt that comfortable on them, like they will let go on me.

Also I've read enough comments to know that people have been on the Pilot Roads on the track and have had offs because there isn't the desired level of feedback or they just let go on them.

The only other thing I can think of is the physics of my weight and height and how it plays into the lean angle and distribution of down force on the contact patch. I do notice that I do have to tuck in quite a bit and stay really close to the tank and don't lean out too much for there to feel like there is better contact.

I've never felt the PR2's give me a feeling that was unsettling... if anything they are slower to react than the Pilots, but grip has been good. I have run at Deals Gap very hard with them and they were good, no complaints. The side rubber is just as sticky, you can hammer it on a liter bike with these tires and they will get the job done.

What I would like to know, is how the turn-in speed of the 3's are compared to the 2's. As in, is the profile more aggressive? If the newest version was justa bit quicker in that regard, I would say that you are getting a great blend of grip and durability. Anyone here make the leap? I am trying to decide if they will be my next set of tires.

They are awesome riders and I'm trying to get away with doing too much because of better tech. I've just never felt that comfortable on them, like they will let go on me.

It always comes down to confidence in the end. You don't like the feel of the PR2 on your bike & that's a totally fair assessment. They're not the right tire for you and there's nothing wrong with that, just don't spread false information. It's not fair to write them off as being no good if you 'like to ride hard like me', because you know that's not true.

You're a man of science, you should be all about facts & data and objectivity! :)

Also I've read enough comments to know that people have been on the Pilot Roads on the track and have had offs because there isn't the desired level of feedback or they just let go on them.

But a better rider than them wouldn't crash in the same situation. You can't fault the tire, only the rider. Unless the tire explodes or falls apart or something.

Part of being a skilled rider is knowing the limits of yourself, the conditions & the bike at any given moment. Ego often gets in the way of admitting that; it's easier just to blame the tire. Of course, around a track a slick will be faster than a hypersport tire will be faster than sport touring tire will be faster than a touring tire.

There's videos all over the YouTubes of experienced riders doing racing schools on prepped racing bikes being passed (easily) by an instructor on a street bike, on street tires with an adult on the back. He's doing this while giving pointers to his passenger. It says a lot

The old mantra is 90% rider, 10% bike. Seems reasonable to me

Last edited:
If I was doing track days regularly I would go with the power 3's. Especially if it makes you more comfortable. Don't see the need for them on an fz on the road, but if you want to spend the money and get less miles out of them knock yourself out. The power 3's are supposed to be better on mileage than the older power series so keep us updated.

If I was doing track days regularly I would go with the power 3's. Especially if it makes you more comfortable. Don't see the need for them on an fz on the road, but if you want to spend the money and get less miles out of them knock yourself out. The power 3's are supposed to be better on mileage than the older power series so keep us updated.

When I was speaking with the manager at the Cycle Gear by me she said that the new design was supposed to give close to 10k miles out of Power 3's (almost double the 2CT life expectancy). Not quite the 10-14k of the Pilot Road's but almost as long.

When I was speaking with the manager at the Cycle Gear by me she said that the new design was supposed to give close to 10k miles out of Power 3's (almost double the 2CT life expectancy). Not quite the 10-14k of the Pilot Road's but almost as long.

That would be awesome. If yall can get 10k out of a set I may be in just for the extra grip, plus like I said, I like the look of them. Just not enough for me if I have to buy 2 sets of pp3's per 1 set of a good sport touring tire.

I would be interested in some experience with the PP3. I used the PP and PR2 and PR3 (that's only the Micheline ones). The PR are good touring tires but their precision is not as good as I would like. Especially the large groves at the very rim of the tire. In addition the edges wears of very fast and I would not have enough thread there if I would not commute as well.
Finally on hot days and spirited riding they start to get a bit torn up and loose a lot of life if I do not leave them enough breaks for cooling down.
The PP are great tires but there behavior after about 2/3 of their lifetime got rapidly worse, much faster than in other tires I tried.

That said, I now have BT16 Pro and they are much much better compared to all PR and even the PP. Precision is outstanding and stability as well. Up to now I have only 700 miles on them but they are very predictable. I guess the stability comes from no grooves at the tire edge and that is true for the PP3 as well. Now usually Micheline gives a bit more thread life and that's for me very important. Depending how the PP3 will be reviewed I might try them out.
Next touring set is already bought: Angle GT, lets see how these are.

It's not fair to write them off as being no good if you 'like to ride hard like me', because you know that's not true.

this has been bugging me all day, but I never said 'like to ride hard like me'. I said I like to ride hard on the weekends.

The OP made mention about commuting and not really doing any track time. I would recommend a PR2 for that type of riding any day. If you are going to go an push your limits up in the canyons I would not recommend the PR2. You could get a good run on with a set of PR2's but I'm betting you give the same rider on the same bike a hypersport tire and they will go even harder.

I'm sure a better rider can get amazing performance out of a sport touring tire on a spirited ride. However, I believe there is nothing wrong with paying for better tech to help get more out of whatever it is you're doing. Arguing to focus solely on developing skills while using lower performance equipment just doesn't make any sense to me. It's like giving Jeff Gordon a stock 88 Civic and telling him to go and get ready for his next race. I know that I'm no pro but I believe having equipment that will make going faster easier a more enjoyable ride for me.

I've had the power 3's for about 1500 miles and I have to say that I absolutely love them. They stick like glue and handle so well. The only tire I can compare them to is the stock pilot road, and compared to those, these inspire tons more confidence. I ride pretty aggressively edge to edge, and these tires still have yet to slip on me. Based off wear at this point I'm expecting to see about 7000 miles out of them. I also have a pretty heavy right hand. Also, I run these at 34f/36r. I could definitely get more miles out of them by bumping up the tire pressure but I've played around with pressures alot and this seems to be the sweet spot for my weight and riding style. (155 pounds, aggressive twisties)

Last edited:
I run road2s on my fz1 as i mostly do longer rides on it but when i do push it i never have a problem with them they grip well even with the throttle wide open in the first 2 gears in the corners and im getting good mileage out of them. On my zx10r i run pilot power 2cts i just cant trust a sport touring tire to handle 160hp, mileage sucks on them 4000 kms out of a rear so i have been interested in the 3s but there more than 100 dollers more a set here locally as the dealers bought the power 2s in bulk

Back