lower risers

You guys really have me confused. First, I've never heard of a FZ1 with a head shake, hence, why the steering damper. Next, if you want lower bars, higher rear sets farther back ----- why didn't you buy a real crotch rocket to begin with?

I'm thinking about putting 6" risers on mine --- more comfortable. :)

You guys really have me confused. First, I've never heard of a FZ1 with a head shake, hence, why the steering damper. Next, if you want lower bars, higher rear sets farther back ----- why didn't you buy a real crotch rocket to begin with?

I can only speak for myself, but here are my justifications in choosing an FZ1:
- Cheaper than an R1
- Easier to swap out lower OR higher handlebars (depending on mood) than an R1
- WAY CHEAPER insurance​
and maybe the most important one:
- My wife likes it better than the R1​
:p

I can only speak for myself, but here are my justifications in choosing an FZ1:
- Cheaper than an R1
- Easier to swap out lower OR higher handlebars (depending on mood) than an R1
- WAY CHEAPER insurance​
and maybe the most important one:
- My wife likes it better than the R1​
:p

My insurance cost me the same as an R1 but at my age the point is moot.
My Stainless steel brake lines are too short to make bar swaps easy.
The bike scares my wife. She likes the Magna a lot more.

My insurance cost me the same as an R1 but at my age the point is moot.
My Stainless steel brake lines are too short to make bar swaps easy.
The bike scares my wife. She likes the Magna a lot more.

Joe, you talking about insurance is really moot. Most of the crowd that buys sportbikes is in the 18-35 year range where insurance really varies a lot.

DERJ, wasn't it a PITA to remove that top triple for PC?

Yes...

Drilling out the ignition bolts wasn't too bad but the rubber/metal sleeves where the risers mount were impossible to press out. I ended up just leaving them in for powder coating, then cutting them out and pressed in new ones.

Turned out well, but yes, it was a real PITA.:disturbed

The FZ1 is a "do-it-all" bike by design. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me one would want to modify it more towards how they actually use it-like you wanting 6" risers.
I want lower bars (and have them), but not crotch rocket low, just more like that of a Honda VFR or BMW 1300S.

I really don't like the way the stock set up leaves the wrist in a flat position. It's not natural for the arms. IMO the bars should slant down at the bar end allowing the wrist to sit in a more natural position.

Hey did you have any problems with those GZ250 risers??? stockbar??

Nope, no problems - I love the risers...

With the stock bar (in the stock position) everything clears. The bar ends are a little closer to the tank at full lock, but still has room without touching the tank. (This varies depending on what angle you set your handlebars.) No problems with the windscreen at all and both stock cables and brake line are fine. In fact, these risers gave me more room so I did not need to change cables or brake lines when I switched to a Rizoma handlebar.

Only thing you will need to do is pick up a new pair of mounting bolts/nuts - our stock risers have the mounting bolt embedded in the riser, but the GZ250 risers use a standard bolt that passes through from the top. The original Suzuki bolts are a little short for our upper triple tree so I picked up a pair of hardened 3/8" x 2.5" hex head bolts with matching nuts at Lowes ($2).

I originally got the risers cheap (EBay) so if they didn't work, I didn't loose much. But I've gotten so used to them, I doubt I ever put the stock ones back one...

I'm just about to change the risors on my FZ1. I'm going to try the risors off the FZ8. I think these should work ok... ???
Will I still be able to put a steering dampner on???
Does anyone know to both questions???

Suzuki GZ250 risers are 2" lower than the stock risers and can be found cheap - there's a set on EBay right now for $21.

Here are mine (also bought from EBay):

P1020042.jpg

P1020047.jpg

After powdering:
P1020947.jpg

P1030173.jpg

which rizzoma bar is this one??

I'm just about to change the risors on my FZ1. I'm going to try the risors off the FZ8. I think these should work ok... ???
Will I still be able to put a steering dampner on???
Does anyone know to both questions???

Yup FZ8 Risers fit perfectly, I have some fitted, I also used FZ8 Bars - call me stupid, but I really prefer the 'old school' look of the bars, I rode the FZ8 at Silverstone last month and for some reason the bike just 'felt' more natural than the high risers on the FZ1, I have checked the hand position and it is identical to before, so I clearly have psychological issues, my techincal colleagues ( Yamaha Technicians ) just look at me like I am a little crazy, but eery time I look at my bike now, it seems 'righter' !

The steering damper fitment should not be affected, but I guess it depends on which one, here in the UK Yamaha supply Ohlins if you need it, I have never felt the need for one, even on track with the wheel a few inches above the track, the bike still steers smoothly, I just need to grip the bike with legs rather than a death grip on the bars when pinning the throttle in the lower gears, my arms are my steering damper.

Last edited:
Back