Long road trip MC tips wanted:

Prongomatic

Hello
I am gearing to to do my first across the US road trip. I plan on riding from Portland Or, to Cleveland OH in a few weeks. Now I am used to riding up to 400+ miles for my usual coast runs but I have never undertook a long trip like this. I will be camping along the way. I was hoping you long tourers could give me some tips to make my journey more enjoyable.
My bike is fully tuned, new tires, new battery, full luggage, 12v charger, GPS, full riding gear, gloves, riding boots, cammelback, alarm, and full tool kit with tire plug kit, compressor, fuses etc and my trusty .45 Glock.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks..

I always bring zip lock baggies and plastic trash bags. Zip lock baggies are great for electronics and wallet to keep them from getting wet. I use plastic trash bags for dirty or wet clothes.

Don't over-pack. If Carl give you any advice ignore it! ;) Sorry Carl! Seriously. Just bring 2 or 3 shirt that can be layered based on temp. Stop by a laundry mat once or twice to get things fresh.

Get some Zip ties and gorilla tape. I always seem to find something to use both on.

Have some comfy shoes easily accessible for the tourist walks. Motorcycle boots suck to walk in.

Consider getting a cramp buster for your throttle. I could not have done my long trip without it.

Take some antibacterial wipies. They are great for taking a sponge bath in your tent. ...wiping off nasty gas station toilet lids before you sit down and keep your crack smelling fresh.

RE:

Thanks for the tips!
It sounds like you know the drill. I just picked up a cramp buster but it's taking me a while to master it. There's not a lot of open road where I live.

i'd dip down to I84/I80 instead of I90. and well, wd-40 to lube the chain every night, and warm enough sleeping stuff and you're good. all ya really will need is fresh underwear, socks and a tooth brush and you're good

A friend taught me not to over pack as a credit card will get you what you forgot.

Go to a beauty supply store and pick up a real small finger pump spray bottle (4 oz ish) and cut up an old t shirt to small squares to carry for cleaning the bugs off your visor.

Chain lube for each or every other day, small can should work.

Sun screen and chap lip balm are your friends on a long day in the sun.

Don't worry about the cramp buster, you'll master it on the long runs.

Great tips in this thread. I over packed for one large trip once and learned my lesson; what a hassle. It also sucks lugging around all that extra lard in the twisty bits.

Nobody has mentioned a first aid kit, so I will. You might be able to save a life at some point or perhaps someone will save yours with it

No cotton! If you don't have a couple of Under Armor shirts, get one or 2. They wash up in a sink real easy and are dry by morning.
And also, no cotton underwear....my husband swears by Under Armor shorts...something to do with the "boys" sweating, I don't understand, must be a guy thing ;)

I've heard of this famous monkey butt and I'm lucky that it doesn't happen to me I guess! Seems to always be the greasy, sweaty, manly men that complain about it. I knew a guy that always rode with a bottle of Gold Bond. Ewwwwwww

Great tips indeed!
I almost forgot the first aid kit and tourniquets;)
Four words for monkey butt.. baby wipes and bag balm hahaha
In Afghanistan I experienced this first hand. Luckily I had some chapstick that I used for "emergency purposes only" that the company doesn't promote.
If you go to this extreme measure, just make sure you throw it away and not put it in your pocket;)

I got some serious monkey butt about 400 miles into my last 900mile ride the usuall recovery time at the pump wasnt cutting it, started getting bad and I couldnt find any powder to buy. I found something called Desitin, its a cream that is made for babies diaper rash and holy cow I bring it everywhere now. Not one issue for the remainder of the trip. Powder doesnt hold a candle to this stuff. I am definately sold on the stuff and everything else sounds like its been covered so there you go, get some desitin, you wont regret it.

Tony

Baby powder-leaves you as fresh as a newborn baby. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Interstate highway? Slabs suck, back roads are the best way to see America.

Don't forget your camera.

Baby powder-leaves you as fresh as a newborn baby. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Interstate highway? Slabs suck, back roads are the best way to see America.

Don't forget your camera.

Agreed about the interstates but they are useful if you need to get someplace quicker.

Baby powder is OK but bag balm is the tops, I never used any of the stuff but some people I know do and it works for them. Me, I need to carry some roid wipes for relief if necessary.

I would carry a spare pair of gloves to alternate with. I just tried out my CorTech bag system, side and tail bags, and they performed great. I had a weeks worth of laundry in them and didn't even have to open the expansion zippers. It rained all the way from Chicago to Bloomington and I put on the rain covers, everything inside remained dry.

The Tourmaster Transition 3 Jacket and Venture pants kept me nice and dry too, but I did have to close all the vents to stay warm on the Interstate (one of the few times I recommend those roads for when it rains).

+1 on the Desitin/Sudacrem nappy rash stuff, it's excellent at all sorts from a sore RS, to sunburn, to sealing minor cuts etc...

Spare gloves are a must, a chapstick, plastic bags, multitool, and fit a scottoiler!!

There's loads of stuff you can take, but cash, and a credit card are top of the list.

Then just enjoy the ride buddy. :Rockon:

1. Highway pegs are a must to stretch the legs and knees.
2. Frequent stops. Don't have to be long, but they help keep you fresh physically and mentally.
3. Hydrate, Hydrate, Hydrate
4. Dress accordingly...likely have more cold and rain on your trip. Heated grips & gear is nice.
5. Planned route you can share with loved ones.....good for them to know your ware-abouts.

if you can stash a credit card card extra insurance card and registration in your bike just in case sounds like you got good info good luck

Good Luck, have a safe trip. Be careful in OHIO, cops are the worst, and make sure you have a permit to carry concealed weapon. It wouldn't hurt to check the laws with carrying firearms across different states, just to be safe. The .45 is one of my favs. Sounds like a true adventure your about to embark on. I've always wanted to do a long road trip. If your ever in North GA, let me know, I'm always open for riding!

Back