Lithium ion Battery

I think Ballistic and another are Lithium Ion. Shorai is Lithium Iron. Shorai has approved all Deltran battery tenders as chargers so if you already have a Battery Tender, go with the Shorai. Plus, they have both top and side posts so you can configure it the way you want. They also pack it in special foam that you can cut and fill the space in the battery box and it is really great stuff. Revzilla has them with free shipping. My boss ordered one after asking me about it and it was on his desk the next day. :D

Check out Earth X LiFePo batteries. The balancin/maintenance unit is built into the battery itself. You can also use any trickle charger that was made in last 10 years or so. It just needs to have the auto shut off feature.

I've been running Shorai for about 2 years now. I never hook it up to charger. Bike occasionally sits for 3 weeks (Winter.. ice.. etc).. no issues to report.

I was dead keen on one for the R1 last week until the only place I could get one quickly quoted me $365 as opposed to $70 for lead acid. I couldn't justify the price even though they are much better technology and freakin light weight. If the price was better I would have jumped at one

I was dead keen on one for the R1 last week until the only place I could get one quickly quoted me $365 as opposed to $70 for lead acid. I couldn't justify the price even though they are much better technology and freakin light weight. If the price was better I would have jumped at one

You can get an SSB Powersports Lithium battery for $150 delivered, Australia wide from here:

SSB 12V 240CCA LFP14H-BS Ultralite Lithium Battery (YTX7A-BS, YT10B-4, YTZ10-S, YTZ10-S-BS, YTR9-BS, YTX9-BS, GTX9-BS, YTX12-BS, GTX12-BS, YT12BA-4, YTX12A-BS, YTZ12-S, YTZ14-S, YTZ14-S-BS, GTZ14-S, YTX14-BS, YTX14H-BS, YT14BA-4, HVT-8, CB16B-A, CB16

Last edited:
Yep have seen a few places but I needed a battery right then as we heading out for a ride the next morning - always the time a battery decide's to not play ball lol. The R1 had been sitting for awhile and we had to get it running as my mates HP4 fell off it's stand and was being collected for insurance repairs.

FYI Be glad of the lack of fairings we have as the HP4 literally just fell off it's stand after the road edge crumbled and gave way. The repair bill is currently at $5730 and that is them repairing the tank not replacing it :rofl:

Yep have seen a few places but I needed a battery right then as we heading out for a ride the next morning - always the time a battery decide's to not play ball lol. The R1 had been sitting for awhile and we had to get it running as my mates HP4 fell off it's stand and was being collected for insurance repairs.

FYI Be glad of the lack of fairings we have as the HP4 literally just fell off it's stand after the road edge crumbled and gave way. The repair bill is currently at $5730 and that is them repairing the tank not replacing it :rofl:

Don`t worry,::poke: $70 bucks for a battery in Aussie, you will be buying another one soon

Dammit, so today I need a battery and they raise the price to $176.66 :disapproval:

Great - just came back to this page to follow the link you posted as I need a battery for the FZ only to see your post lol
Battery was playing up but I thought I saved it with a charge. Worked perfectly all day yesterday while riding 500km's then packs it in 10 minutes from home...
Did you find anywhere else for batteries Ballmead ?

Great - just came back to this page to follow the link you posted as I need a battery for the FZ only to see your post lol
Battery was playing up but I thought I saved it with a charge. Worked perfectly all day yesterday while riding 500km's then packs it in 10 minutes from home...
Did you find anywhere else for batteries Ballmead ?

I'll be getting mine from SSB PowerSport Lithium Battery - Bikebiz

Free delivery too.

I always keep my FZ1 on a Battery Tender and the orig. battery is still strong after 3+ years. When it dies I'll put a new Yuasa battery in it and carry on. If you take care of a lead acid battery they will last a long time, but most people don't take care of them and suffer premature failure. The weight savings of a Lithium Ion battery has little real world significance for a street bike.

I always keep my FZ1 on a Battery Tender and the orig. battery is still strong after 3+ years. When it dies I'll put a new Yuasa battery in it and carry on. If you take care of a lead acid battery they will last a long time, but most people don't take care of them and suffer premature failure. The weight savings of a Lithium Ion battery has little real world significance for a street bike.

The Shorai I purchased is smaller than a stock battery and cost me only a few dollars more than a replacement Yuasa battery. The weight savings is huge and the extra space is nice to have as well. No battery tender needed unless you have something that drains the battery. I have had it since June 2012. I have a fuse block velcroed to the battery to make use of the extra space.

Back