Lithium ion Battery

The Shorai I purchased is smaller than a stock battery and cost me only a few dollars more than a replacement Yuasa battery. The weight savings is huge and the extra space is nice to have as well. No battery tender needed unless you have something that drains the battery. I have had it since June 2012. I have a fuse block velcroed to the battery to make use of the extra space.

You do save some space with the Li Ion battery, the volume is about 1/2 so this could come in handy I suppose if you need the extra space. The weight savings is about 6.6 lbs according to the specs, a gallon of gas weighs about 6.2 lbs so, in effect, you are permanently riding with the equivalent of one gallon less in the fuel tank. This will not be perceptible on the street as I've never felt any handling difference with full tank vs. the tank when it goes on reserve (about 22 lbs of fuel less in the tank). Yes they are much lighter, but it really is nothing in the scheme of things.

If they last longer and are more durable then there might be a real world advantage, but I think they are still new enough that we don't know for sure yet how they hold up long term. Bottom line I don't think there is that much advantage.

Last edited:
I always keep my FZ1 on a Battery Tender and the orig. battery is still strong after 3+ years. When it dies I'll put a new Yuasa battery in it and carry on. If you take care of a lead acid battery they will last a long time, but most people don't take care of them and suffer premature failure. The weight savings of a Lithium Ion battery has little real world significance for a street bike.

I never did a thing with my stock Yuasa, just rode the bike whenever I could, and now after 4 years it's finally dying.

I was tempted to buy another but I want to give one of these new fangled Lithium Ion batteries a go.

You do save some space with the Li Ion battery, the volume is about 1/2 so this could come in handy I suppose if you need the extra space. The weight savings is about 6.6 lbs according to the specs, a gallon of gas weighs about 6.2 lbs so, in effect, you are permanently riding with the equivalent of one gallon less in the fuel tank. This will not be perceptible on the street as I've never felt any handling difference with full tank vs. the tank when it goes on reserve (about 22 lbs of fuel less in the tank). Yes they are much lighter, but it really is nothing in the scheme of things.

If they last longer and are more durable then there might be a real world advantage, but I think they are still new enough that we don't know for sure yet how they hold up long term. Bottom line I don't think there is that much advantage.

After using a Shorai Battery I could never see me going back to a lead acid type:icon_beer: [ unless I move to a very cold climate] forget battery tenders etc, I also believe they will/should out last the lead acid type

The Shorai I purchased is smaller than a stock battery and cost me only a few dollars more than a replacement Yuasa battery. The weight savings is huge and the extra space is nice to have as well. No battery tender needed unless you have something that drains the battery. I have had it since June 2012. I have a fuse block velcroed to the battery to make use of the extra space.

Which Shorai did you get? I've seen references that both an 8 and a 12 are "right" for the FZ1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I fit my SSB Powersports Ultralight Lithium battery yesterday and first impressions are excellent.

It really cranks the starter motor over, big time.

Lets see how long it lasts.

I have the impression that the FZ1's charging system is anemic, but that Lithium batteries require a slightly higher voltage to properly charge (than lead/agm/gel). Has anyone running a Lithium battery made any changes to their bike charging system? I've read a few forum posts elsewhere that an aftermarket regulator/rectifier is necessary to adequately charge the Lithium batteries.

I have the impression that the FZ1's charging system is anemic, but that Lithium batteries require a slightly higher voltage to properly charge (than lead/agm/gel). Has anyone running a Lithium battery made any changes to their bike charging system? I've read a few forum posts elsewhere that an aftermarket regulator/rectifier is necessary to adequately charge the Lithium batteries.

Good point, I've also read this. They need a slightly higher voltage to reach 100% charge. Or you could be damaging the lithium battery long term. I'd like to know more info on this if it come up.

Which Shorai did you get? I've seen references that both an 8 and a 12 are "right" for the FZ1.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I went with the smaller size. I starts the bike without issue. As for the weight savings, I'll take all I can afford. I had to offset the HEAVY Corbin seats.

They sure are heavy. I had a Corbin on both the 919 and the VFR. I swear they're 3x the weight of the stock seat. Well worth it, mind you

They sure are heavy. I had a Corbin on both the 919 and the VFR. I swear they're 3x the weight of the stock seat. Well worth it, mind you

I switched to the Yamaha comfort seat for me. I like it better. I just use the stock rear seat unless my wife is riding with me and then I install the "Corbrick" pillion seat.

I've been looking at a new lithium iron battery.
This is the right spec for the FZ1

Specification
Manufacturer: SHORAI
Battery type number: LFX19A4-BS12
Battery type: Lithium Iron Phosphate (LifePO4)
Dimensions: 148mm x 86mm x 88mm
Voltage: 12V
Capacity rating: 19Ah
Cold-start performance: 285A CCA
Maximum charging rate: 18Amp (Lead-acid equivalent)
Weight: 1.05kg
Terminal layout: Left: + Right: - (With the terminals on the edge nearest to you)
Warranty: 3 Year limited warranty
In the UK it will cost £162.
This is the 19Ah one.

Back