Lid and shield, what to get

The RF-200 is definitely old. I had a couple of them back in the early-mid 90's. That was all I could afford back then...lol. She'll love her new upgraded helmet for sure ;)

:wow: I finally got to ride with my new Shoei RF-1100 helmet today. First note, I need a pin-lock visor. I couldn't keep my standard visor clear without using the 'vent' position on the visor lock mechanism. Even with the 'vent' position, I had to raise the visor to the first detente at low speeds. That made my face just a bit cold. I had the breath guard and chin curtain in place too.

I was unable to properly test the venting, but I can tell it is very good. I only opened all vents for a short time, just to see what it was like, and I can say it was cold. The top of my head did get a little warm with all the vents closed, but with only the back 2 outlet vents open and the brow vents at half open, it was still a bit cold in the 40-45 degree weather we had today. I tried many vent combination's, without much difference, which is about what I expected. I noticed a whistle with the 2 anterior rear vents open, the 2 posterior rear vents closed that was not present if the posterior rear vents were open, regardless of the position of the anterior rear vents. :confused: (I'm not sure that made much sense).

The chin vent was much too cold to have open, and didn't defog as well as I had hoped. I was much better off with the visor vented than the chin vent open, as pertains to the fogging.

This is the lightest helmet I've ever owned and very well balanced. The spoiler seemed to function as advertised. My head was very calm in all conditions with out buffeting. The only issue came directly behind a semi-truck, which caused much buffeting everywhere. Keep in mind, my only recent helmet experience is coming from the Nolan N100, which is an older modular, thus much heavier and has no spoiler.

I can't imagine how the shield change system could be any easier. I can't wait to have a shield to change to! The spring system that pulls the shield into the seal works great and is, for the most part, self adjusting! :tup:

Fit and finish are extraordinary. Interior is soft, comfortable and easy to remove and replace. I'm going to give the cheek pads a good 12 hours of riding use, maybe more, but at this point, I feel I will need to buy some thinner ones for my fat cheeks. I look like a chipmunk in a serious headlock, and it's just a bit uncomfortable. I'm afraid this helmet will give me very severe helmet head. A hat will be required to hide this effect, or a brush/comb with some water to smooth it out. That could be a bit of an issue for the commute to work. :ugh:

Last edited:
After riding a few cool days with my new helmet, I realized I need a pinlock visor. Now that the wife and I can share visors, I have ordered a pinlock visor with a clear insert and an amber insert to try out. I'll eventually get a second pinlock visor and either a 2nd clear insert and/or a light smoke insert. I'll just have to see if there's a need for the dark smoke and I think I've decided to skip the yellow insert. I'm hoping the light smoke is dark enough to help with the sun, but light enough to still ride at night. I'm afraid it won't be enough for the sun, but too much for night... :(

I still want to get a silver mirrored visor for my wife's helmet and I'll see how it looks on mine before deciding between the gold, blue or silver mirrored. I'm tempted to try an aftermarket mirrored CW-1 (the code for what fits the Shoei RF-1100, X-12 and Qwest helmets) visor, since they can be had for less than half the official Shoei mirrored. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket mirrored visors for Shoei helmets?

Thanks for the input. :sport12: :) oops: the smiley guy on the bike doesn't have a helmet on!)

After riding a few cool days with my new helmet, I realized I need a pinlock visor. Now that the wife and I can share visors, I have ordered a pinlock visor with a clear insert and an amber insert to try out. I'll eventually get a second pinlock visor and either a 2nd clear insert and/or a light smoke insert. I'll just have to see if there's a need for the dark smoke and I think I've decided to skip the yellow insert. I'm hoping the light smoke is dark enough to help with the sun, but light enough to still ride at night. I'm afraid it won't be enough for the sun, but too much for night... :(

I've tried amber shields before and they work very well (at least for me). Everything looks "sharper" during the day and if you get caught at night with it your visibility isn't really reduced much. Let us know how you like it once you've had a chance to try it out.

I've had a chance to ride more with the pin-lock visor with the amber insert and the clear. I had no fogging with the amber insert, but I've noticed a small bit of fogging with the clear. I'm thinking it's not sealing perfectly against the shield. It's always the bottom right. I'll look into it more. It does make the shield heavier, but the detents are strong enough to handle it fine. The insert stretches to the top and bottom with out any gap, but there is a slight gap on each side where the pin-lock connects. It hasn't been noticeable as of yet.

My wife has also loved her helmet. I have the kids helmets on order, and they should be here within a week. I settled on the HJC's mentioned above, the CS-Y pink hellion youth large/XL for my daughter and the CL-16 yellow hellion for my son in medium. I'm also getting an extra pin-lock visor. I plan to purchase additional color pin-lock inserts, but I'm not sure what just yet. I'm thinking an extra clear (as night riding is the most likely time to need the pin-lock, especially in summer) and maybe a dark or light smoke.

I'll buy a silver mirrored shield for my wife's helmet, but I still can't decide between gold and blue for mine.

PS I'm still looking for a Corbin backrest for the Corbin rear seat so my kids have a bit of added safety while riding. If anyone knows of any for a reasonable price, let me know! I really don't want to play full price from Corbin, but I realize I may have to :(

I am not a fan of the mirrored shields. They are too easy to scratch and then look like poop. I have a dark smoke and a clear regular visor for my RF-1000 and a Pinlock with clear and dark smoke inserts. The Pinlock is by far the most outstanding piece of gear I have ever purchased. Rode all winter long with it and never, EVER had a fogging issue.

On a side note I bought the wife the smoke fade shield and she likes it pretty well. She also has the dark smoke and clear standard visors for her RF-1000 and uses them the most.

I am not a fan of the mirrored shields. They are too easy to scratch and then look like poop. I have a dark smoke and a clear regular visor for my RF-1000 and a Pinlock with clear and dark smoke inserts. The Pinlock is by far the most outstanding piece of gear I have ever purchased. Rode all winter long with it and never, EVER had a fogging issue.

On a side note I bought the wife the smoke fade shield and she likes it pretty well. She also has the dark smoke and clear standard visors for her RF-1000 and uses them the most.

I'm sure my issues with the pin-lock can be solved by reinstalling the insert and making sure it has a good seal.

My wife was considering the smoke fade (gradient) shield. I think I'll get that for her. It's great that we can share visors too, because then I can try it too.

I really like the mirrored shield. I've been lucky and never had a scratch issue. These CW-1 for the RF-1100, X-12 and Qwest aren't very dark, from what I can tell. I think they would be acceptable if I happened to get caught after dark, but I wouldn't intend to ride in the dark with them. I'll let you know how they are when I save up enough to order them ($80 each). They are way overpriced. I've considered an aftermarket one, but I think I'll just stick with Shoei's shield. Thanks for the input.

I wear nothing but Shoei currently RF-1100,Had a mirrored shield on my RF 1000 and hated it cast a reflection on theinside so I was able to see myself which is never good.I do however love the smoke.I usually don't ride at night but carry my clear if I think I will be caught out after dark

I am going with the "E-Tint" electric powered shield kit. I am actually ordering it tomorrow and will do a write-up about it when it arrives. It should solve all my problems dealing with having to carry two shields everywhere I go. If you'd like to check it out beforehand, here is the website..........

Welcome to e-Tint Products

Back