Lid and shield, what to get

BDazzler's Lid thread (helmet talk)

I just ordered my Shoei RF-1100 in Diabolic Revelation TC-5 (2XL)
RF-1100-Diabolic-Re-TC-5.jpg
RF-1100-Diabolic-Re-TC-5rear.jpg

and my wife is going to pick up the Shoei RF-1100 in Diabolic Divinity TC-6 (M)
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6.jpg
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6-rear.jpg

25838_1.jpg

Now I'm wondering what shield/shields to get. At least I know the wife and I can interchange shields with both of us having RF-1100's.

shoei_cw1_spectra_faceshields.jpg

I want a mirrored shield and they come in silver, blue and gold. My wife has a black '09 Ninja 250 and with the helmet she chose, the silver is an easy choice. I have a cobalt blue '07 FZ1 with the gold forks and levers.
  • I still think the silver will go best with the helmet, but I hate to duplicate shields.
  • I can almost make a case for the blue (with a blue bike)
  • And even more for the gold (with the gold forks and gold FDB's levers).
Someone talk me into the right shield.

pinlock_arai.jpg

I also want each of us to get a pinlock visor, but again, deciding which color pinlock inserts is hard. These come in clear, light smoke, dark smoke, amber and hi-def yellow.
  • Clear is an easy argument as it's good anytime, but may require sunglasses in daylight. With most fogging happening in the dark, it still makes sense.
  • I think of light smoke as kinda being ok for day or night, but not great for either.
  • I can argue that I ride most in bright sun, so the dark smoke makes sense, but then, do I really need the anti-fog of the pinlock in bright sun? (sure not in summer)
  • Most info I've read claims amber is great for night driving, again a time likely to need antifog.
  • Hi-def yellow is said to be good for rainy and cloudy days, the most likely time to need antifog, but the least likely time I would be riding.

accessories-shoei-street-helmet-rf-1100-half-tinted-shield-half-tone-smoke.jpg

Oh yeah, my wife also thinks she might like the half-tint shield...

Thus you can see my problem. I can't afford 2 of each shield, and that would just be excessive. So, I welcome any experience as well as opinions on the subject. I know at least a few members out there have the Shoei RF-1100. Thanks for your input.

Last edited:
I've got a Shoei helmet with the dark tint pinlock kit. The pinlock idea is great on a clear visor, but I don't like it with the tinted inserts. The sun gets between the gap of the tint and the non tinted area and I get a camera flash effect. I can't seem to get on with it at all and I'll be getting a full tinted visor for this summer.

You can get the full tinted visors with the pinlock for those sunny winter days.

I've got a Shoei helmet with the dark tint pinlock kit. The pinlock idea is great on a clear visor, but I don't like it with the tinted inserts. The sun gets between the gap of the tint and the non tinted area and I get a camera flash effect. I can't seem to get on with it at all and I'll be getting a full tinted visor for this summer.

You can get the full tinted visors with the pinlock for those sunny winter days.

Thanks. That's good to know. I will look for that when I try a pinlock.

It's my understanding that in this new visor system (CW-1 for X-12, RF-1100 and Qwest) the pinlock inserts cover the entire helmet opening, but I've never tried one.

I'm sorry : oops: the above pic of the pinlock visors are of the Cx1 for the RF-1000, X-11 and Multitech helmets.
Here's what the CW-1 pinlock looks like with the dark smoke insert
140.jpg

The visor on mine is the CX1-V which is probably quite different. If you find the pinlock does go all the way across on the new ones, I think it would be perfect and well worth having.

I'm using a yellow visor right now and it's worth a shot to see if you like it or not. The main benefits I found were additional contrast in poor visibility conditions and it takes away some of the glare from oncoming headlights when traveling at night. No matter what claims a yellow visor may make, it's still a tint and things will be a bit darker as a result though.

I think it's quite nice in the kind of weather I live in (right now it's pouring rain & foggy just like it does EVERY DAY :() but if you're in a mostly-pleasant kind of place, I wouldn't even bother.

Personally, I would just get the clear visor and throw sunglasses underneath. But if you mainly ride in nice weather, why even bother with a Pinlock at all? The odd time you do get your visor fogging, just crack it slightly as I'm sure your Shoei has adequate venting anyway.

Last edited:
I can't speak to the Pin lock visors as I have never used 1. The venting on the RF-1100 is good enough that even in below zero temps as long as you are moving it doesn't fog.

I really wanted the mirrored gold visor but they had none in stock when I got my helmet, so I settled for the dark tint. I have light sensitive eyes and the dark visor is great. I don't have any trouble riding at night with it either, but always take my clear with me when on long trips.

I had a silver mirrored visor on my RF-900 after having the dark tint on it for years. The mirrored was not as good in bright sunlight, but still OK. It was great at night though, much better in that regard than the dark. The mirrored require slightly more care in use to keep them from surface damage than the smoked.

I still intend to get the gold visor, but will wait until the dark smoke is beat up. The dark smoke is better value at 2/3 the price of the mirrored. The graduated tint that your wife likes will not offer much in the way of sun protection so she should consider it only if she wears shades under it.

I have 2 Shoei helmets that I use the light smoke visors. Yes there are some days in bright sun where a dark smoke would be better but I can use the light smoke for those long day rides when it's dark before I get home without much loss of vision in the dark.
I also like the light smoke for riding in the fall when shadows from trees are much more prevelant and the kigh conditions change fast.
You could always use the light smoke with sunglasses if the need be.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I like the mirrored best just for the looks. I know I'll order the silver mirrored for my wife, so I think I'll get it first and see how it looks on the helmet and then how dark it is. (too dark for night? too light for bright sun?) After that, I'll try to find a local shop that carries the visors and see if they will let me look at them on my helmet. Not too many Shoei dealers around me. :(

I see great arguments for the dark smoke and the light smoke as well as the yellow/amber. Still no clue on which of those would be best. I have an iridium
140.jpg
(rainbow mirror) for my metallic black Nolan N100 helmet,
NOLAN-N100E-GLBLK.jpg
and it seems to be great for 85% of the riding I do. (Just dark enough for most bright days, but I could make it home at night if I really had to.)

The other thing I need to find out is what tints are legal for night time driving. I doubt my current shield is legal at night despite what I might think. I hate to have to carry an extra shield, but I don't like to wear glasses under my helmet and I really don't want a ticket for a dark tint at night. I assume that would be a state law, but I'm really not sure. :confused:

It doesn't look like I'll need to decide anytime soon as the snow, ice and low temps are still nasty, but according to the groundhog...
phil-no-shadow-2011.jpg

:shine: We can only hope! :thewave:

Congrats BD!
Those helmets are sweet!!
Go with the Blue - I have heard somewhere that it is the fastest color ;)

lolup Good point.

I'd love to see some pictures of everyone's helmets with the different visors. I'll throw one up of my Nolan as soon as I can. Anyone have an Arai? I looked at them too, but I didn't like their shield system at all. They all seemed stiff and much less friendly to change.

I'm considering the HJC CS-Y youth helmet for my 9 year old daughter and the CL-16 for my 11 year old son so they can go on rides with me. I want them to be safe, of course, but they way they outgrow things, I can't afford to spend too much on a helmet they can't wear next year. The youth comes in around $80, but is only DOT, not Snell. The CL-16 checks in around $120-$140 and has DOT and Snell 2010 ratings.

mc8.jpg

CS-Y

mc3.jpg

CL-16

The CL-16, has a lot of features for a somewhat budget helmet, and it come with a pin lock visor with a clear insert. That's a nice value. It is also Snell 2010 approved. The CL-16 has a fully removable liner and comes with a soft helmet bag. It's just a shame they couldn't throw in a chin curtain and breath guard.

Last edited:
Shields up!

RF-1100.jpg

Dark Tint
RF-900Elite.jpg

Silver Mirrored
Halo.jpg

I like the gold mirrored best.:retard:

HornetDSsideangle.jpg

Dark Tint

IMG_0125.jpg

Dark Tint in the Sun

leespictures195.jpg

Silver Mirrored in the Sun

That's All that I've got.

I'm reminded of Halo with your gold mirrored setup.

I have the dark blue mirrored setup......I do not venture out after dark much so nightime visibility is not a high priority for me.

Look what UPS left on my porch today... :tup:

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0002 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

This is the Shoei RF-1100 Diabolic Revelation TC-5. It has a subtle ghosted pattern from the chin bar up over the top. It is very difficult to take a picture of it, but I tried.

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0008 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0007 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0006 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

As you can tell, I couldn't keep the reflections out of the pictures. I think you can see me in there somewhere.

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0004 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0009 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0011 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0016 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0017 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

Then I tried to take a few in the sunlight, but it was fading fast...

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0021 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0022 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0024 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

shoei rf-1100 diabolic revelation_0027 by DocDazzler, on Flickr

Now I have to get my wife's helmet ordered (couldn't afford both from the same pay period). To reiterate, she is getting the Shoei RF-1100 Diabolic Divinity TC-6.
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6.jpg
RF-1100-Dia-Divinity-TC-6-rear.jpg

Now my wife and I will be discussing what extra shields to get, but we're not in a big hurry, 1, because the CW-1 shields (especially the mirrored) are very expensive, and 2, we won't be riding for a few months.

Last edited:
Halo

I take it you are not a Halo player.The helmet is a near life size master chief replica. It is actually a cover for the Halo 2 game and limited edition book.

I can tell you like the new helmet. It looks great. Good use of a fence post.

I take it you are not a Halo player.The helmet is a near life size master chief replica. It is actually a cover for the Halo 2 game and limited edition book.

I can tell you like the new helmet. It looks great. Good use of a fence post.

Yes, I'm excited to get a chance to ride with it. I was a little worried about putting my brand new expensive helmet on a post, but it worked. I was happy to find that my fat melon fit in the 2x fairly well. I was afraid I would have to go 3x, and the color choices are very limited.

I'll have to mess with it and see how to adjust the visor. It seals well everywhere except around the finger tab you use to raise the visor. The instruction book was worthless for help there. I guess I'll have to loosen the screws on that side under the visor and see if I can slide it back a bit. Anyone messed with that on the RF-1100?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Xr-1100

I started with a XR-1000, it was good but was white with no graphics so I upgraded to the new XR-1100 1 year ago. Its a MONOLITH TC-2 Blue/ black L size. Its quieter, more vision, better venting and the blue/black matches my blue Fazer. I also changed the check pads bigger for a tighter fit. Your new XR-1100 and graphics look awesome, its all about looking stylish and matching the fantastic style of our FZ1s.

:wow: After a little research, I discovered the helmet my wife will be replacing is a Shoei RF-200.

casca-shoei-rf200.jpg

It's missing a screw on the side that holds on the shield. It's very heavy when compared to the RF-1100. I think the RF-200 came out in the 80's, but I'm not sure. I didn't realize that helmet was that old. It's really in good shape other than missing 1 of 4 screws (large, short, plastic screw with course thread). Changing the shield is a nightmare. She has a clear and gold mirrored shield for it. I'll try to take a picture of her helmet (the above is just an image I found with google that matches what her helmet looks like).

I believe this helmet is one my older brother had bought for my mom to wear on rides. I don't know when or where he bought it. It just got passed down. I think my wife will notice the difference between the RF-200 and the RF-1100! :cloud9:

Bout' time then

If the helmet she wears is that old, then she will love the RF-1100! It will feel like a feather by comparison, and the air will flow much better. Very important feature in hotter climates.

Back