Kinked fuel line

B

Buildercher

Checkout the kink in the factory fuel line. Yamaha used a cheap nylon fuel line on the Gen2. Cost me $6.40 to replace with a 6mm (inside diameter) rubber fuel line rated @ 400 psi & 2 hose clamps. If you have a Gen2 pop up your tank and check it asap.

Checkout the kink in the factory fuel line. Yamaha used a cheap nylon fuel line on the Gen2. Cost me $6.40 to replace with a 6mm (inside diameter) rubber fuel line rated @ 400 psi & 2 hose clamps. If you have a Gen2 pop up your tank and check it asap.

Nice fix. Yea I'm always very careful when lowering the tank back down. One of these days I'll get around to it.

The lines are made of nylon so when they heat up under the tank they get tighter on the fitting to prevent leaks.The new lines are made of nylon to resist the ethanol that is found in todays fuel.

Update, installed new rubber hose & fittings. Test rode the bike last night and everything feels good, it is hard to say if the kinked line effected the bikes performance, but i will have a better idea after a longer ride. The fuel line on this bike is a bad design. Looking at the way it is positioned under the tank it almost needs a 90 degree bend off the fitting on the tank to help straighten out where it kinks. I thought about using a braided hose but the problem is there isn't enough flexibility as there is in a rubber hose and the bend is very sharp.

FYI...you can see my post on getting a kinked line from the factory when I bought her new. The line is supposed to move to prevent kinking..so if you don't make sure it's not binding up it'll kink after repeated tank raises. Many modern Fi bikes have lines like that...I personally think the line is just a tad too short.

FYI...you can see my post on getting a kinked line from the factory when I bought her new. The line is supposed to move to prevent kinking..so if you don't make sure it's not binding up it'll kink after repeated tank raises. Many modern Fi bikes have lines like that...I personally think the line is just a tad too short.

I added 1" to my replacement rubber line. It seems to be the kitty, i am a little dissapointed that Yamaha didn't engineer something better out of the box?. And then to want $40 for a replacement OEM fuel line - there having a laugh!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but just wondering if anyone knows what the plastics ends on the lines are for? and if i need them to do this mod because i see that other people are. I think it might be the reason why my bike is not starting :disapproval: its not connected all the way up to the rail and i cant seem to remove it or push it up more. Whats the easiest way to remove these damn things :cuss: Please help!

Last edited:
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead but just wondering if anyone knows what the plastics ends on the lines are for? and if i need them to do this mod because i see that other people are. I think it might be the reason why my bike is not starting :disapproval: its not connected all the way up to the rail and i cant seem to remove it or push it up more. Whats the easiest way to remove these damn things :cuss: Please help!

I'm not sure, but I think the plastic ends have a flap in them that if not properly connected wont allow fuel flow. In order to remove them you need to pull out the plastic tab. I think this design has been used on high pressure fuel lines for a while even in automotive applications.

amyma7ys.jpg

Has anyone managed to get their 6mm ID hose past this point...? And yes, that is blood on my finger!

Back