Kawasaki Ninja 1000 vs. Suzuki GSX1250FA vs. Yamaha FZ1 Comparison...

the FZ does not have the extra balancer shaft inside the engine. I know the Kawi does.
That is more inertia in a burst and more moving parts inside, including several bearings.

I agree that they probably wouldn't need a complete redesign but a cross plane would be pretty cool. The same basic FZ1 format but with the cross plane wedged between a slightly modified frame and a few more ponies and ft/lbs of torque added to the mix would be a lot of fun on a naked sport. Plus you would get that awesome cross plane exhaust note. Just my two cents.

Chad

Last edited:
FZ1N for me

I don't care what they say, I like all the power up the top end, its exciting and reminds me of the good old 2-stroke days, also the FZ is a much prettier bike aggressive styling with Yamaha quality ya can't go wrong:disturbed

I have a buddy who went from her FZ1 (totaled in a hit and run rear ender) to the Ninja 1000. She says there are some of the low/mid range pluses that she's noticed, but didn't like it as well for longer distances.

I love the looks of the FZ1, and know that I will NEVER ride it to its fullest potential. I do, however, get to ride to my fullest potential on it. Love my Gen 1!

It would have been interesting to compare these 3 to the new machine "2012 CB1000".
I know this isnt the stock version. But damn, I love this pic.

Who doesnt think this is bad A$$ :p

Slicks, the colour and the style is just....LOVE IT.

I don't care what they say, I like all the power up the top end, its exciting and reminds me of the good old 2-stroke days, also the FZ is a much prettier bike aggressive styling with Yamaha quality ya can't go wrong:disturbed

Amen :thewave:

I did a demo ride on the Ninja 1000, and the midrange torque is a little better than the FZ1, but the top end on the FZ1 pulls harder than the Ninja. The differences are not great, and my thoughts are, that the greater torque would just make the bike more wheelie-prone, making it harder to control in the lower gears. I really like that screaming top end rush of power from the FZ1. So get the FZ1 up to RPM, and then the close-ratio transmission keeps the RPMs up into the power band.

The Z1000 is similar to the Ninja, but I just don't care for the styling, especially the earlier versions. I love the appearance of the FZ1.

I have also ridden an R1 with the cross-plane crankshaft. Yes, the torque band is wider, and very strong, but I can immediately tell that it feels and sounds a little bit like a V-twin engine. I simply do not like that feeling or sound.

The FZ1 is a great motorcycle, especially in view of the fact that a good used one can be purchased for about half of what the Ninja would cost!

I agree.......in fact I think having the power up towards the top makes it easier to ride in traffic etc, but lets you really have fun out on te open road. It's like having two bikes!

I agree.......in fact I think having the power up towards the top makes it easier to ride in traffic etc, but lets you really have fun out on te open road. It's like having two bikes!

I've yet to ride a modern Yamaha liter bike that is a low/mid-range torque monster. Personally I love the top-end rush of the FZ1 :)

To revive an old thread, I thought I would add my comments. I had a Suzuki BKing and decided to add a FZ1 as I wasn't crazy about the styling on the King. It is a great bike but the view from the front of the bike drove me crazy. I bought a 2009 used FZ1 with full fairings and after a coupe of rides decided I couldn't keep it as the heat was burning my thighs. (don't put full fairings on this bike). I traded it in on a 2012 ZX14R. I still wanted another bike for the mountains and started looking at bikes. After reading the glowing reports of the Ninja1000 I thought this would be the perfect bike. I went to a Kawasaki demo day and rode the Ninja 1000 two different times. It is a great bike with one BIG problem. It has a terrible vibration when riding it aggressively between 3,500-7,500 rpm which is right where you would be riding it. Looking back at some tests of this bike some testers stated that the vibration was unacceptable. That is an understatement, it gets you in the foot pegs and the seat and transfers right to the "boys". I would buy this bike in a heart beat if not for the vibration. I looked at some other bikes and came back to the FZ1. It may not have the latest and greatest according to the bike mags but I can tell you that the whole package is better than the competition, so don't wish for a change so much as when Kawasaki "updated" the Z1000/Ninja1000 they dropped the ball and if you don't think so go to their forums and read how many people are unhappy with the vibration issue. I'm back with the FZ1 and loving it! By by BKing it was nice knowing you.

Interesting thoughts!

Vibration schmibration ;) Those complaints make me want to ride one now, see what the fuss is about

So what was it about the Burger King that you disliked? I'm not quite sure but would love to know in more detail

I got irritated by the same vibrations on the Ninja 1000. Rest of the bike is really good and there is not a sure shot fix for those vibes. Its a Kawi thing. Have encountered them on every Kawi I have ridden.

Thanks for the post. Was loosely considering the new Ninja. First hand experience like yours is valuable info.
Interesting what you said about Kaws' vibration in general....

I got irritated by the same vibrations on the Ninja 1000. Rest of the bike is really good and there is not a sure shot fix for those vibes. Its a Kawi thing. Have encountered them on every Kawi I have ridden.

It's a shame that Kawasaki couldn't get rid of the vibration issue when they redesigned that Z1000 engine. Everything else about the bike is very good. I only did 20-30 minute rides so the vibrations were never an issue, but I can see a long trip being bad...

I just drove the new Ninja1000 and it was not too bad. Felt like it had a bit more bottom end than my FZ1 but overall my FZ would stomp it in acceration contests (midrange and top end rush is better on the FZ1). I also prefer the handling of the FZ1 over the Ninja as it seems to feel a bit top heavy compared to the Yammy. My overall impression was the Ninja1000 is a nice bike but I felt my FZ1 is a better bike from everything from Power to Fit and finish.

The dealership had a new ZX14R Ninja that they had me take for a spin as well and all I can say is HOLY SHNIKEYS! The power of this bike makes my FZ1 feel like a Vespa scooter. The ZX14R is so fast that I started using Jesus as a breaking marker. I found my personality changing and I became adicted to twisting the throttle WFO just to scare myself again and again. Finally the Wisconsin State Trooper brought me back to reality and one written warning later I figured it was time to bring the bike back to the dealership and save my life and insurance rates at the same time. The new 14 is amazing!

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has a 09 Concourse but wants something lighter/different and is looking at the Kaw 1000 . I told him he needs to spend 2 hrs in the saddle do my FZ (Ohlin, Russell day long custom seat, 1.5" higher bars + adjustable windscreen lip/etc) before making a decision. We're heading to Glacier in a few months (approx 3000 mile 8 day trip) and he'll get to spend some time on it.

What about the Sprint GT

When I was first looking at the FZ1, the Z1000 and the Triumph Sprint were on my radar, as well as the Bandit, but the Bandit is just too low on power and high on weight. I'm surprised that the Sprint is never uttered in the same paragraph as the FZ1 and Ninja 1000 or the new CB1000.

It has similar power, similar weight, standard riding position. It's definitely not in the same class as the FJR or ST1300, but more in the Ninja 1000 or Bandit class. IMHO, The weight and power are the two things that class it up with the FZ1.

Any FZ1 owners have experience with the Triumph Sprint?

Back