Kawasaki Ninja 1000 vs. Suzuki GSX1250FA vs. Yamaha FZ1 Comparison...

Compared to the amount of money required to get a cheap used FZ1, I still don't have the urge for the Ninja or rather any other bike. It will be a while until I get bored with the FZ1 and want something different. Maybe when Ninja1000s start showing up used for cheap...

Although I agree that the FZ1 hasn't changed much since 2006 and the fueling on my 2008 could be a bit less snatchy, I measure how well the motorcycle works by how much fun I have on it. I went on a 150 mile trip yesterday to see the Vietnam moving wall and had a genuine blast on the two-lane roads between my home and where the superslab starterd (about 50 miles) and what makes me enjoy the FZ1 more each time I ride is it's ability to cut through other traffic that just doesn't has the stuff to pass in those areas where you need to whack the throttle and cut around the other traffic. It doesn't bother me much that there are quicker or faster bikes out on the market, compared to my 61 year old body, the FZ1 is still a youngster and doing just fine.

Just my opinion - but the half faired looks of the Gen II can't be beat by anything out there.
But I don't care for full fairings.
And power --wow --- how much could you want or need??
It's all there with the FZ1.

Compared to the amount of money required to get a cheap used FZ1, I still don't have the urge for the Ninja or rather any other bike. It will be a while until I get bored with the FZ1 and want something different. Maybe when Ninja1000s start showing up used for cheap...

Right. Buying a new FZ, in face of the competition, makes very little sense. Being on the market for more than 5 years means that a used FZ can be had for ridiculously little and then there's $ left over to shop in the ample and well sorted aftermarket.
Lindy, I agree with you on the looks of the FZ. It is somehow classier than the competition. As to the power. . . .On the genII its not so much about power as how and where it is delivered. The snatchiness of the throttle and the soft midrange stood out to me on my first ride. No worries now though, with the full mod package, its the perfect super UJM and still cost me loads less $ than one the new competitors.

I don't understand what yamaha is waiting for..Fz1 genII have just did what was made to do. Now she is on the downhill part of the parable and this fact damaging yamaha's dealers and owners..the first sales fz1 with difficult and the seconds has prejudice on second hand market from the discounted price of the new bikes(the last chance to find customers..). Z1000sx is the star at the moment but the fact that a 5years old bike resist on comparative test is the evidence that genII is a GREAT BIKE! Sincerely I don't think that gsx1250f is at the level of fz1..more touristic add.with a lower level of details..Fz1 can do everything:a track day on suzuki1250 is really far from my desires for ex. But this never change the current reality:Yamaha must show the new Fz1(that I'm sure,is just ready...)

Even a few minor modifications for performance, suspension and updating the look would still make the FZ1 with this engine better off the show room floor. I don't think they have to totally redesign it or throw in the cross plane.

If you guys think the FZ is old take closer look at the Suzuki. That thing is one old, low tech, over weight pig. And per the article the Kawi isn't as sporty as the FZ.

As Hail said a few mods and youre good to go.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

If you guys think the FZ is old take closer look at the Suzuki. That thing is one old, low tech, over weight pig. And per the article the Kawi isn't as sporty as the FZ.

I find the Suzuki fits in its own market segment. It's certainly not the same class as the Ninja or FZ but it's not quite couchy enough for the segment above it (ST, FJR, Concours).

I think it's a nice bike but I agree it's really not in the same class as the much sportier Yamaha and Kawasaki. It's a neat little niche though. An in-between between two in-between classes of bike already? Weird.

Don't worry guys, Yamaha's 2012 line up will be announced in a month or so. I think it is going to be make or break with the FZ1. Either a standard beater FZ1 with 07-08 R1 engine or discontinued.

Well considering that it hasn't sold all that well here and that now there's an 800cc version of it I wouldn't be surprised if the FZ1 is gone from the lineup...

I didn't read all the article because I'm still without pc and with phone is very boring wait the page's download but I tried the z1000sx before leaving Italy..winter with semidry track was not the optimal and I cant say if the bigger engine size give really a better low rpm torque(superbikeitalia my favorite magazine assures YES!)respect the old Z or the fz1. The yamaha engine is a bomb also on a ''castrate''fz1 version so kawa is not more sportely on this but the position and the suspensions are absolutly more sport respect fz1 stock..and this make automaticly kawa more sportely than ours bike..consider that the footsteps comes directly from zx10r..the fz1's set(one of the uglyest that I ever saw on a 1000cc bike!)is on a position so low that the first time that I used my bike,completely stock,when I started to improve the rhythm,at the first curve was close to crash because the step shot the ground violently.. Z radials calipers complete the picture.. So on 2006 genII was a real innovation respect genI.Now genII has the same eage as genI on that year so I'm waiting more than only some upgrades..new Z is another bike and cb1000r to,respect the old hornet 900.Fz1 doesn't need a so important modify respect the current but with fz8 that is simply an fz1 with smaller engine,the bigger sister need a new identity.. And at the end,if yamaha never use the cross plane can be one of the greatest delusion of my biker's life! Fz1 need more low rpm torque! A R12008 engine full power,like someone ask on the thread what new gen fz1need,is a nonsense!Where whe go with 165hp at 12500rpm and a 160km/h first gear?And economically talking..why stay with 2,more expensive,engine building line when put the same engine on R and Fz is a cheaper choice?I'm waiting but
I really hope that you wrong...

Well considering that it hasn't sold all that well here and that now there's an 800cc version of it I wouldn't be surprised if the FZ1 is gone from the lineup...

Then what will yamaha have to compete in the literbike segment... I don't care whether they launch it in the USA or not but atleast bring out a new one. I am not ready to sell my bike yet anyway.

I didn't read all the article because I'm still without pc and with phone is very boring wait the page's download but I tried the z1000sx before leaving Italy..winter with semidry track was not the optimal and I cant say if the bigger engine size give really a better low rpm torque(superbikeitalia my favorite magazine assures YES!)respect the old Z or the fz1. The yamaha engine is a bomb also on a ''castrate''fz1 version so kawa is not more sportely on this but the position and the suspensions are absolutly more sport respect fz1 stock..and this make automaticly kawa more sportely than ours bike..consider that the footsteps comes directly from zx10r..the fz1's set(one of the uglyest that I ever saw on a 1000cc bike!)is on a position so low that the first time that I used my bike,completely stock,when I started to improve the rhythm,at the first curve was close to crash because the step shot the ground violently.. Z radials calipers complete the picture.. So on 2006 genII was a real innovation respect genI.Now genII has the same eage as genI on that year so I'm waiting more than only some upgrades..new Z is another bike and cb1000r to,respect the old hornet 900.Fz1 doesn't need a so important modify respect the current but with fz8 that is simply an fz1 with smaller engine,the bigger sister need a new identity.. And at the end,if yamaha never use the cross plane can be one of the greatest delusion of my biker's life! Fz1 need more low rpm torque! A R12008 engine full power,like someone ask on the thread what new gen fz1need,is a nonsense!Where whe go with 165hp at 12500rpm and a 160km/h first gear?And economically talking..why stay with 2,more expensive,engine building line when put the same engine on R and Fz is a cheaper choice?I'm waiting but
I really hope that you wrong...

All that is fine but the reason mfgs reuse older supersport (R6, R1) assembly lines as they have already made a lot of investment in the research, engine, frame molds and if they don't extract as much use out of them then they will have to just throw them every 2-3 years they refresh a supersport model. Imagine the kind of resuse Yamaha has got out of the 04 R1s engine - that is almost 8 freaking years now. Similarly Bandit has been around forever now - almost 15 years.

Our beloved FZ1 is beginning to look a little "long in the tooth" when compared to the competition :(
Naw. Ride whatever puts a smile on your face.

I ride a pair of decade old Ninja 9Rs and all three bikes should outperform mine handily. You won't find me complaining though. It still comes down to the rider. And that keeps me smiling.

All that is fine but the reason mfgs reuse older supersport (R6, R1) assembly lines as they have already made a lot of investment in the research, engine, frame molds and if they don't extract as much use out of them then they will have to just throw them every 2-3 years they refresh a supersport model. Imagine the kind of resuse Yamaha has got out of the 04 R1s engine - that is almost 8 freaking years now. Similarly Bandit has been around forever now - almost 15 years.

IMO the 5-valve motor is superb, i reciently rode a 04 R1 lava red (beautiful) with 55,000km, it only has pipes, filter & PC3. The bike down low pulls harder than the 07-08 and is runs on a par thoughout the rev-range. The FZ1 would have been the naked king if Yamaha had left the motor alone and just changed the gearing.

I"ll Keep Her

I have invested the time and effort to make my bike what it is. It's a sleeper/sports tourer with a hot rod heart. It's not the wheelie tool of choice but I'm ok with that. It's geared for serious solo flights and with a little suspension adjustment can tow a passenger and bags for day long cruising. I stalk sport bikes on my favorite rides to see if the rider is all show or go and most times just show. I did have one GSXR 1000 run me down on a top end run...I did say run me down, after a few miles. 15K miles on the clock and it looks like new, still does everything I ask without and complaints. I can't find anything today to draw me away so...I think I'll keep her.

Just recently purchased my FZ1 and I did look hard at the Ninja 1000.
A few things swayed me toward the FZ1.
Looks and style, think the FZ1 is very classy.Insurance was twice as much for the Ninja 1000. The Ninja name or any bike starting with ZX is a big red flag with most insurance company's. The top end power !! I like a big hit up top !!! The fact that exhaust and tuning can get you to 140-150 hp pretty easy was a big deciding factor.
The Ninjas big advantage in the mid-range is the only place I feel we are at a loss. Tuning can help with that and big power is always just a down shift away. I've always enjoyed a bike with a nice top end hit. My last bike was a Hayabusa and I don't miss the torque much at all.

ive had all three

hi, im in the fortunate position of having owned a 1250 bandit , a z1000, and now my fz1n and i'd take the fz over any of the others any day of the week and twice on sundays. Had the 1250 painted and polished etc,did stuff to the z1000, but you only have to wax a black fz1n and it draws a crowd. fz deefo anytime.
P1020996.jpg

P1010015.jpg

P1030973.jpg

Back