K & N issue

Another thought here: I have a Yosh slip on now with the k&n. I'd like to know for those that have a similar set up if a jet kit was mandatory? Anybody have lean fuel issues? I know that to get the optimal performance a jet kit is the way to go but I'll get to that down the road. I just don't want to damage it in the meantime......

You can find out if you are running rich or lean by looking at your spark plugs.

The plugs will be dark/black if you are running rich.
The plugs will be light, almost white if you are running lean. In this case, re-jet your carbs. Also, check that you are using the right temperature plugs - if you get them too hot, they will also look light/white.

Below is a link to one of many sites with information on engine analysis using spark plugs: Spark Plug Analysis

If you just put your pipe on, pull the plugs now, take a picture, put them back and ride for 500 miles or so. Then, pull the plugs again, take another picture and compare the before and after photos.

Why take the second set of pictures? Sometimes photographs will have a different hue from the actual object. Taking pictures with plenty of light and using the same setting/lighting for before and after pictures will give you a more accurate comparison and you can more easily spot if the plugs are getting lighter.

Hope this helps

Thanks, I spoke to a good friend who also happens to be an excellent wrench about the need for re-jetting and he explained the basics of doing a PLUG-CHOP. It involves putting in a clean set of plugs and taking the bike out and running it at a specific RPM and thencutting the ignition. Similar to the two-strokes, I'd then pull the plugs and inspect their color. For the LAZY me, he also suggested I run the bike at a steady 60mph and see if the rpm is surging. If so (it wasn't) then more then likely re-jetting is needed. I will be taking out the plugs this weekend and ill see if further investigation is warranted. The bike does appear to have more pep since the k&n install. I'm definitely heading to a jet kit later this summer..
Cheerse
You can find out if you are running rich or lean by looking at your spark plugs.

The plugs will be dark/black if you are running rich.
The plugs will be light, almost white if you are running lean. In this case, re-jet your carbs. Also, check that you are using the right temperature plugs - if you get them too hot, they will also look light/white.

Below is a link to one of many sites with information on engine analysis using spark plugs: Spark Plug Analysis

If you just put your pipe on, pull the plugs now, take a picture, put them back and ride for 500 miles or so. Then, pull the plugs again, take another picture and compare the before and after photos.

Why take the second set of pictures? Sometimes photographs will have a different hue from the actual object. Taking pictures with plenty of light and using the same setting/lighting for before and after pictures will give you a more accurate comparison and you can more easily spot if the plugs are getting lighter.

Hope this helps

Back