K & N issue

speedjunkie

hello there,
I have a Gen1 and installed a K & N air filter tonight. I noticed while closing the airbox cover that it wasn't sitting flush/tight. The filter itself seems to be not sitting in the box as it should. The original filter slips into the box with no problem however the K & N filter looks like the plastic outside lip (don't know what else to call it) needs to be trimmed a bit. I used the gasket supplied by k&n but that is not the problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem? I don't want to dremel away material unless totally necessary.
cheers

Some of the Gen2 guys are having the same issue with their K&N filters.

Looks like they are starting to drop the ball quality wise.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Add me to the list, I tried to fit mine today to end up with the exact same problem.

I called my supplier and Hope they can help sort the issue out. I sent him a link to this thread and photos, so if anyone else out there has the same issue please post it here.

K&N have been a bit dodgy with fitment for a good few years, had them for my cars and other bikes In the past, most badly fitting! I've had to trim them down to fit before now.

Do you want to part with your filter Blanchy? I'm due to get one now my juicebox is on the way.

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!

K&N have been a bit dodgy with fitment for a good few years, had them for my cars and other bikes In the past, most badly fitting! I've had to trim them down to fit before now.

Do you want to part with your filter Blanchy? I'm due to get one now my juicebox is on the way.

You want something that does not fit?

Mine's heading back to the supplier shortly, they sent me a return slip and will replace it with a BMC filter. K&N will hopefully fix the issue or they will lose a few customers. I'm glad Blanchy & others posted the issue here before I went to get the bike dyno-tuned. I now have time to return this one & make sure the BMC filter fits before the bike goes in.

Not your fault Blanchy, don't put yourself down bud. You buy a brand trusting it will hit the mark and they let you down. Theyre gonna be the losers eventually!

Not your fault Blanchy, don't put yourself down bud. You buy a brand trusting it will hit the mark and they let you down. Theyre gonna be the losers eventually!

I've used k&n on my previous bikes without any issues so I'm dissapointed to see this.
Considering the fitment issue has anybody messed it up trimming it down to fit? Any tips on the process. I don't see it being a "refund" issue if it takes only a few minutes to fix. I'll just not buy their products in the future!!

Have I missed the K&N thread?

I fitted a replacement filter last weekend when I did the AIS blocking mod and thought the air filter housing was a little difficult to refit.
I tightened the screws diagonally to apply even pressure but it still wasn't as snug as the original filter.

Is this just a new problem with the gen2? I fitted K&N filters on my last two fireblade's without any problems.

Well, I clamped down the old filter against the k&n and could see clearly the difference between the two :(. Just the same, I went back to triple check that I hadn't been given the wrong filter and its all good there. So I taped up the k&n so no debris gets in and went at it slowly with my dremel. 10 minutes later it fits in nice and snug like its supposed to from the start. K&N should be embarrassed!

Another thought here: I have a Yosh slip on now with the k&n. I'd like to know for those that have a similar set up if a jet kit was mandatory? Anybody have lean fuel issues? I know that to get the optimal performance a jet kit is the way to go but I'll get to that down the road. I just don't want to damage it in the meantime......

I was talking to my brother about this last night, He had a similar issue with a K&N air filter for his Peugeot recently. He had the correct K&N filter purchased and when he went to install it it didn't fit properly. It looks like it is not only the bike guys having issues with K&N filters.

My K&N fit just fine in my 2007 FZ1. It looks like it sits up a little high but when you tighten it down it is all good. My stock one sat the same way until it was tightened down also.

Back