K & N Filter Fitting

Dam Blanchy sounds like your not havin much luck with your mods bud WTF. I hope you get your sheet figured out man your bike does look nice though!

Hi Erci, I came to the same conclusion on the K&N filter. I was going to either cut some out of the groove to lower the filter on the seat, or cut some off the top of the filter to lower the metal bracket. Then I thought WTF, I paid good money for this. I called the company I bought it from, they replaced it with a BMC filter free of charge. Why should you have to mess with it. Get your money back & buy one that fits.

My brother bought a K&N filter for his Peugeot 205 GTi which didn't fit properly either. They need to lift their game.

As for the warped air box cover, stick it in the sun to heat it up & it should mould back to its original shape.

Yea, with all the other choices out there there is no need to be mucking around with the filter. K & N really need to get their quality control issue rectified. I have used their filters in the past w/o any issues, but on the FZ1 I went with a BMC and it fits great :tup:

Yea, with all the other choices out there there is no need to be mucking around with the filter. K & N really need to get their quality control issue rectified. I have used their filters in the past w/o any issues, but on the FZ1 I went with a BMC and it fits great :tup:

+1! Just ordered BMC and returning K&N.

Do you think that if the top air filter cover isn't closed all the way it could cause a vibration at those seems where it's not touching? I noticed mine is warped from using a K&n filter and even now with the filter out, the case stays warped. Anyway to fix it aside from ordering a new one?
Try a heat gun on it if the sun is not enough. Don't melt it, just get it hot enough that it is uncomfortable to touch not painful. I have returned a bent plastic bumper on a car that way before.

How ironic.. I *just* dropped a K&N in, yesterday and sure enough I have exactly the same issue on my 07!

I took the filter back out and carefully inspected it to figure out the cause. Take a look at the pics below. I'm pretty sure that no amount of trimming the metal plate will help.

As you can see, the plate fits perfectly inside the top of the box.. nothing to trim here.

9d.jpg

Here is where I think the problem lies: The height of K&N + plate (carefully seated) sits higher than stock.

K&N:

2ndr.jpg

Stock:

vx9b.jpg

See how the stock filter edge sits deeper in the box? I see no way of making this work.

Disappointing and annoying, since it takes 350 bolts and screws to get to the filter and now I'll have to go through it again *insert violin smiley here*

You are correct that the height of the metal plate is the problem, it's 1.4mm higher than the stock filter I think. My one was bearing down on the sides of the top box so by trimming that part down I made just the front and rear of the metal plate bear. When I screwed it down I had a just barely discernible gap on the sides of the box. I think I transferred the warping to the metal plate plate.

Not sure if I have said it here but this sort of issue should be bought to the attention of K & N. I have but think I have just been shrugged off with a new filter. Everyone that has or had a non fitting filter should contact K & N.

Not sure if I have said it here but this sort of issue should be bought to the attention of K & N. I have but think I have just been shrugged off with a new filter. Everyone that has or had a non fitting filter should contact K & N.

Excellent point. I will reach out to them.

Email sent:

I want to bring this to your attention. The filter recommended for Yamaha FZ1 and FZ8 (YA-1006) does not fit properly. The edge of the filter sits higher in the air box, causing the air box to not close fully and leave a gap on sides. It also causes the air box to warp.

There is a post about it on FZ1 forum: http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-garage-tech-help/18145-k-n-filter-fitting.html

People are trying to modify the filter to make it work, but they shouldn't have to. General recommendation is to use BMC filter because it fits perfectly.

I sincerely hope you will look into this issue. I know you've been contacted by at least one person regarding this issue before and you sent him a replacement filter, which did not fit any better.

Thank you.

Just started reading this thread. Very interesting. A Vlogger I suscribe to actually works for K&N. I'm gonna slip her a message with a link to this thread to see if maybe she could do something about it. I'll let you know what she says.

I got a very quick reply from K&N representative stating that they will look into the issue and he also asked me if I wanted to return the filter (no sense.. Amazon is taking it back and paying for return shipping)

So customer service is A+.. they just need to get the filter sorted out now!

Pitty the same wasn't the case here in Australia. I went through BikeBiz who replaced the filter free of charge, but they said that K&N had no knowledge of the filter problem (after Blanchy and others had contacted them). Hope they acknowledge the problem & get it sorted or they will lose business out of it.

Would it be safe to put some black duct tape on the slightly warped piece of the airbox to keep dirty air from getting in? I was able to totally seal it very good with the duct tape but I am worried to start the bike up and run it.

Part of an email reply I got

"On the air box we have here, there is a slight gap with both the OE and K&N air filter. We have seen where the air box is warped a little causing the fitment of the two halves to show a slight gap even with the OE filter. We have also seen that there are slight differences between 2 air boxes for the same model or application where a filter fits fine on one, but not the other. The lid on the air box has a groove with an O-ring installed, and the base of the air box has a tongue that goes into the grove of the lid. Taking a couple quick measurements there is good interference with these two features on the filter and will seal even with a slight gap on the halves of the air box."

So according to K & N it will still seal.

"On the air box we have here, there is a slight gap with both the OE and K&N air filter. We have seen where the air box is warped a little causing the fitment of the two halves to show a slight gap even with the OE filter. We have also seen that there are slight differences between 2 air boxes for the same model or application where a filter fits fine on one, but not the other. The lid on the air box has a groove with an O-ring installed, and the base of the air box has a tongue that goes into the grove of the lid. Taking a couple quick measurements there is good interference with these two features on the filter and will seal even with a slight gap on the halves of the air box."

I had a feeling they wouldn't decide to re-design the filter. My air box clearly seals perfectly with stock and leaves a sizable gap with K&N. Even if it does seal properly, no sense in warping the air box.
I bet if enough people reached out to K&N, they would do something about it, but 3 or 4 (or even 10).. not worth the redesign I guess.

In other words, it fits good enough, maybe. As I read the K&N reply all I could think of was their legal dept. carefully editing it (CYA) before it was sent.

If there are the OEM production variances K&N claims, shouldn't there be fitment problems with any filter, including the OEM air filter? Is their OEM airbox warped because they had a K&N filter in it long enough to deform it?

Last edited:
I had a feeling they wouldn't decide to re-design the filter. My air box clearly seals perfectly with stock and leaves a sizable gap with K&N. Even if it does seal properly, no sense in warping the air box.
I bet if enough people reached out to K&N, they would do something about it, but 3 or 4 (or even 10).. not worth the redesign I guess.
Agree but the same filter fits the FZ8 also so number grow.

In other words, it fits good enough, maybe. As I read the K&N reply all I could think of was their legal dept. carefully editing it (CYA) before it was sent.

If there are the OEM production variances K&N claims, shouldn't there be fitment problems with any filter, including the OEM air filter? Is their OEM airbox warped because they had a K&N filter in it long enough to deform it?
Yep just a fob off and my 1st thought was you've already warped the box dimwit.

I contacted K&N about the gap on my FZ8 air box. They responded as if they never heard of this before and wanted pics. Told them forget it, I'll just get a BMC filter and call it a day. They have offered to send me a refund so I got the BMC and shipped back the K&N. BMC was a tight fit but is OK. Probably will be the same on my FZ1. Also... Don't buy that junk about the air box seal filling in the gap. It doesn't expand that much.

BTW... the BMC filter has a little less filter area than K&N...

I bought my 2010 second hand with a K&N fitted (I was given the K&N box and the OEM filter by the dealer)

Do I need to undo 350 screws to see if its fitted properly?

Back