Just got an FZ1 and I hate it.

How the F are you guys getting 30+ mpg?! And yet call that poor mpg.

I get a combined hwy and street mpg of 28mpg if im lucky. Other then that. I average 26mpg. I do ride quite hard tho lol traffic in my area gets pretty bad at the time i get off work. Id day its on par with LA traffic during peak hrs and if there is an accident...it isnt moving.

Mine is either f'ing pinned or nothing a lot of the time and I get at least 35.

What Sebastian said. I get right at 40.

This will also depend on the type of fuel you run, weather the tune you have is optimized for the fuel and your bike/mods etc etc.

I run high octane with the bike dynotuned for my mods and I was getting well over 250km out of a tank on highway and twisty roads on my trip last week. that converts to 39+ mile to the US gallon.

Something is causing your poor mileage. I never get under 35 and I don't ride like an old lady...
I'm 6'5 and while I haven't rode a speed triple the fz is one of the most comfortable bikes I've ridden, and being a bike tech I've been on a few of em.

I am 6'2" and find my bike sort-of comfortable, but I commute 7 miles to work and do only two-three 150 trips a year. I stop every 60 minutes for a butt-break. I am a conservative rider so I get 40mpg all the time.

You just purchased the wrong GEN.

GEN1 > GEN2 for Comfort and Mileage.

I get 40-44mpg on a regular basis and my cheeks do not get sore until I have been in the Saddle for at least an hour, and I have never had my Tailbone hurt.

20140829_143850_1_zps08l6rqij.jpg

With all the performance mods, I get about 30 on commutes but can reach 38 if I do the grandpa touring ride.

1. Stock seat sucks - buy an aftermarket seat or send yours to Dirt Road for a customized job. I have one from Top Saddlery (See it in my Sig Pic below) and I only ever need to stop for fuel now, not because I'm butt-hurt. :Rockon:

2. You really should have researched because everyone knows the FZ1 is not an economy bike. It is a performance machine.

With all the performance mods, I get about 30 on commutes but can reach 38 if I do the grandpa touring ride.

1. Stock seat sucks - buy an aftermarket seat or send yours to Dirt Road for a customized job. I have one from Top Saddlery (See it in my Sig Pic below) and I only ever need to stop for fuel now, not because I'm butt-hurt. :Rockon:

2. You really should have researched because everyone knows the FZ1 is not an economy bike. It is a performance machine.

Boy! I don't feel so bad now Eric. I was ready to bring the bike in to Ivan for him to take a look at the map cause after the ECU Flash and map install, I'm averaging 32mpg and that's riding like a grandma! By 104 miles I'm down on the last bar and F Trip starts flashing by about 112 miles. I simply love the bike but hate having to stop twice every ride for gas. Before the mods I was averaging between 38 and 40mpg riding conservatively and no less than 35/36 when being a little aggressive. You think it warrants a peek at the map??

Boy! I don't feel so bad now Eric. I was ready to bring the bike in to Ivan for him to take a look at the map cause after the ECU Flash and map install, I'm averaging 32mpg and that's riding like a grandma! By 104 miles I'm down on the last bar and F Trip starts flashing by about 112 miles. I simply love the bike but hate having to stop twice every ride for gas. Before the mods I was averaging between 38 and 40mpg riding conservatively and no less than 35/36 when being a little aggressive. You think it warrants a peek at the map??

I found that I get bad mpg when riding in cold weather without the O2 sensor plugged in. The reason is overcompensation by the ECU when the weather gets cold it starts making the mixture to rich. When you do not have the closed loop because of the unplugged O2 than the ECU can not compensate for the too rich mixture. I asked Ivan about this and he said he never noticed something like this, well I know a lot of riders here in the SF bay area which notice the same. Maybe on can tweak the ECU temperature correction that would be the right way. Personally I think the fueling should be corrected in the ECU and than run the thing closed loop (adjust the narrow band O2 sensor to another air/fuel ratio) or adjust the compensation curves (temperature, altitude, coolant temp ect.) that you do not need the control loop.

Even on sporty rides I never get less than 36mpg and that means 8k rpm very often. On the freeway with higher speed commute I still get 39 mpg. 32 is not right if you do not rev out every gear.

I've been through a few maps Billy, some customized after the Ivan flash. There's not much relief for MPG. The Gen II isn't known for economy in the OEM state and with Ivan's flash, it's decreased a fair amount in trade of unlocking and performance. When you took the bike to Ivan, out of curiosity, did he adjust your TPS while you were there?

I've been through a few maps Billy, some customized after the Ivan flash. There's not much relief for MPG. The Gen II isn't known for economy in the OEM state and with Ivan's flash, it's decreased a fair amount in trade of unlocking and performance. When you took the bike to Ivan, out of curiosity, did he adjust your TPS while you were there?

I am a bit puzzled there are several people which state that they have good mpg after the flash, i.e. loosnut who does ride hard. This contradicts your statement that the MPG would be worse after the flash. It must have something to do with the individual bikes. That does not mean that your observation is wrong, just that the MPG vary more on the bikes after the flash.

I am a bit puzzled there are several people which state that they have good mpg after the flash, i.e. loosnut who does ride hard. This contradicts your statement that the MPG would be worse after the flash. It must have something to do with the individual bikes. That does not mean that your observation is wrong, just that the MPG vary more on the bikes after the flash.

I understand your point.

I thought it was my bike at first but that was on the 2009 bike. Now the ECU is on the 2013 bike and I'm getting the same results. The only difference in mods is the flies. The 2009 had modded flies and since Ivan says these no longer matter, the 2013 has OEM flies. Still, the same MPG. I don't know if I ride in higher RPMs? Are others simply shifting all the way to 6th and leaving it there? We all ride differently and all shift at different points.

I've yet to try Ivan's latest map but did compare it to my current map tweaked by another member and Ivan's is richer throughout. Yes, it is AWESOME performance though! I will be putting the map switch on the PC5 this winter so I can load the leaner map and Ivan's latest map then swap on the fly. It's nice to get that performance when the twisties come along.

As I stated though, I *can* achieve 38 MPG *if* I have zero fun at all. But I'm not on this bike for economy... I'm all about the pure fun of cornering. :Rockon:

When I installed Ivan's flashed ECU and his map I lost a heck of a lot of mileage. After I got the bike tuned back in to my mods I am back to where I was before the flash with good mileage. I don't think his flash will affect the mileage, it's the map you put on the PCV that will affect it. Get your bike tuned and your mileage should improve.

When I installed Ivan's flashed ECU and his map I lost a heck of a lot of mileage. After I got the bike tuned back in to my mods I am back to where I was before the flash with good mileage. I don't think his flash will affect the mileage, it's the map you put on the PCV that will affect it. Get your bike tuned and your mileage should improve.

I'll have to bring the bike quite a distance to get that done. There are no recommended tuners anywhere near me. The few that are around here don't have a great reputation and the one that does caters only to Italian bikes. I'm more at the mercy of maps downloaded or tinkering with my own maps. ;)

Yep, TPS adjusted when it was there. I'm not saying that I don't like the performance gains and drivability I've gotten with the flash, I'm just saying that I wish I didn't have to stop so often for gas. I feel like I'm always in the station filling up. I guess I'm just so used to the YZF and GenI where I always averaged over 40mpg no matter how I rode, that's all. Anyway, I didn't mean to send this thread a completely other direction.

I'm 6'4" and 230. I find the seat ok for about an hour or 2 hours. I get on average 32 mpg (30-34 in town) and the best I ever got was 40 mpg when I was riding through the mountains of western CO using 85/86 octane. As previously suggested scoot your butt back and give yourself a slight lean forward, should distribute your weight on to your ischial tuberosity (butt bones). I've put 35,000 miles on the bike in almost 2 years. If you don't like it, there's nothing that says you have to keep it.

Back