Is the FZ1 really thirsty...?

Hi,

I usually get 41 mpg, averaged over 6k miles, I drive twisties and commute freeway. I am a bit puzzeled with this number because most people get so much less. I drive rather smooth, high curve speed, large leaning angle and not so much acceleration out of the curve. Maybe that is the difference. The bike is stock beside a light weighted titanium slip on, a removed center stand and a touring windscreen, however I weight something like 195 lb with riding gear (full leather gear ~ 22 lb)

In Germany I had an Fz6 and that was amazing in mpg until 8k rpm then it sucked the gas like a camel finding an oasis after a week. When I did high speed Autobahn rides (always 75 km to get to the twisties in the Alps) the fuel consumption was so high compared to the usual twisty ride that I though something was wrong but it wasn't, just like the bike is designed.

I guess the Fz1 is the same, I rarely can use it above 8k rpm, usually more like 4-6k but when you enter above 8k then it is turbine like, so smooth, so much power and very nice control, everything works as it should. That's the same with the Fz6 above 10k rpm and that's the point when it takes gas very fast. Of course this is a lot of fun but here in US you will be always with one foot in prison if you want to do this, unless on the freeway in 1st gear :D. So I am happy with the mpg of the Fz1, so it is not great but ok.

Gen 1 Attribute...........

Gen 1 with Factory Pro 3.0 Pod kit...Dales Highpipe slip-on...46/16:
205 just before the light came on...225 just before I decided I did not want to push.
I'm 220 full gear.
The 225 tank of gas included a 85 mile ride through some Florida twisties, with burst of speeds in excess of 140 in the straightaways chasing a 14...(Florida twisties consist of a corner, with a 2-3 mile straightaway)....second half of the loop was a straight highway back home at about 95 all the. way.
Rest of the millage was a couple days of brisk riding back and forth to work.

If I want 110 to the tank, I'll ride my VMax.

My 08 is stock (motor wise) and on my last two long trips (3000+ miles) I kept track of mileage/fuel and 'averaged' almost 43 mpg. This is with the bike loaded down (obviously) and at 'touring speeds'. The interesting thing was the difference in mileage, depending on where I got fuel. My low was 37, with my high being 47.....crappy fuel = 37 (Kalifornia...and that's where I live) to 47 in Montana.

Fuel mileage

The FZ1 is't any different than any other gas sucking vehicle. Depending on the need for speed that the rider has and anything that's been done to the fueling, it can be a real gas hog or relatively efficient. My 08 has a PCIII, stock can, and slightly modified air box, I usually ride modestly to briskly and I aveage 37-38 U.S. gallons.

I have a stock gen1 and I get about 40-42 when I keep the revs down (i usually use 6-7k shift points around town) and about 35 when canyon riding in the upper range. This seems to be pretty typical of others experiences as well.

It's no prius, but then again it doesn't exactly accelerate like one either :)

Ok so somewhere between 35 and 55 mpg then, thanks for clearing that up fellas.

Heading for a New England tour with my new Bee in June. I'll have my bikes mpg down when I get back. Cant wait til the snow goes.

I haven't had my 05 for very long, 4 fill ups tracked so far, and not many before that. I have gotten an average of 38mpg, and i'm still getting use to it. mostly commute, no fun runs yet.

I haven't had my 05 for very long, 4 fill ups tracked so far, and not many before that. I have gotten an average of 38mpg, and i'm still getting use to it. mostly commute, no fun runs yet.

If you're like me (weekend warrior), your fillups will look somethigng like this:

42mpg
40mpg
31mpg
40mpg....

One of these things is not like the other, one of these things just doesn't belong....:innocent:

FZ1N Fuel Usage

I`ve read loads of posts, magazine reviews, forum discussions on the subject of mpg of the FZ1, but there are so many different answers/points of view. They vary from 95miles to 160miles to a tank of fuel! now I know its dependent on the riding style etc but 55miles is a huge difference! what is the avereage distance people on here are getting to a tank of fuel?
Thanks in advance.
Just looking for my next bike and the FZ1 is in my top two so far and if the fuel consumption isnt too scary it could be the one for me!!

Shaun, I'm in Australia and we're metric here. As an average, I get 225km per 18 litre tank until the reserve light comes on. That equates to about 6.5L/100Km .That's running on 98 octane, standard gearing and a mix of riding rpm's. Most of it pretty hard. I have an FZ1N and believe me, you won't give a stuff about fuel consumption once you give one a good ride.

I get 200 miles per tank...I have never changed spark plugs or air filter and i'm at 31K...I don't shift above 3K and i'm usually in 5th or 6th from 30mph on up...

Back