Is the FZ1 really thirsty...?

shaun-m

I`ve read loads of posts, magazine reviews, forum discussions on the subject of mpg of the FZ1, but there are so many different answers/points of view. They vary from 95miles to 160miles to a tank of fuel! now I know its dependent on the riding style etc but 55miles is a huge difference! what is the avereage distance people on here are getting to a tank of fuel?
Thanks in advance.
Just looking for my next bike and the FZ1 is in my top two so far and if the fuel consumption isnt too scary it could be the one for me!!

I think I'm only getting between 100-120 miles per tank or at least until the low fuel alert starts making me nervous. I know I've gone 20-30 miles on reserve (post low fuel warning) but I try to get gas ASAP.

I think that's about 33-36mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I am able to go 125 miles before the warning light but this is when I am commuting and that are only 15 Miles trips. Not sure how long I can go when the warning light statrs as I am not someone who will test this. To affraid of running out of gas.

On the highway I've gotten 165 out of a tank, a very full tank. Around town F trip comes on at 117 to 121. At F trip you have about a gallon and a quarter left.

Highway I've seen around 150 to the tank, Back roads with my wrist in it around 100 to 110ttt. The FZ wont win any fuel milage comparisons thats for sure.

FWIW, the Gen 1 gets a few more miles to the tank, due to the larger tank. I get about 150mi to the tank on the highway... I've gotten as good as 180, but it was running on fumes when I stopped. In my experience, I tend to get around 30-34mpg

I tracked my fuel-ups on my stock Gen 1 (2003) over 7000 miles here: Arnold (Yamaha FZ1) | Fuelly

Average Imperial MPG: 50.9
Best Imperial MPG: 59.6

I would usually fill up around the 200 mile mark but I could have gone well over 240 miles before running dry I'm sure

Keep in mind that lots of us have 16 tooth front gears so that mess with the miles part of the miles/gal calc.

Horsepower is made by mixing plenty of air with a matching amount of fuel. If you are making HP it takes fuel. The other thing that gets into this is the throttle on any real liter bike is covered with cocaine dust.

My own a fully tuned 1200 Harley that gets 50% more miles to a single gal but I very seldom elect to ride it to save the fuel. A 45 min spirited ride on a FZ1 takes about $6.00 worth of fuel. Name a better way to blow 45 min for $6.

Beast

All the mpgs even in cars have been going down over the years with the EPA shit. Even the Ninja 1000 which is supposedly better than the FZ1 in stock form gives poor mpg ... the new R1s, Aprilias are worst - they don't even cross 30 mpg... I however love the Hondas as they somehow still manage to give great mpg . The new fireblade is great in that regard ... around 45-48 mpg on freeway. The older GSXR1000s were also amazing - easily touching 50 mpgs ...

I don't care about mpgs during a spirited ride but I do commute a LOT on mine and then I do care and track my mpgs. I get 36-37 over a 30-70 city-hwy mix ..

On the highway I've gotten 165 out of a tank, a very full tank. Around town F trip comes on at 117 to 121. At F trip you have about a gallon and a quarter left.

This is about where I'm at too. My throttle on highway road rides get's me over 130 before F trip comes on, then 165 or so by fill up. I've not run out on this bike before. I think I made it close to 170 on one occasion from Leakey to Bee Cave, by the time I stopped. Around town, closer to 120 before reserve. And that's by the book without filling over the filler tube.

My manual states my tank holds 4.76 US gal with F reserve of 0.9 gal (and F has been good for up to 35 more miles before I gave in & filled up---still with some left). All with high octane. :D

This bike is terrific!

If I ride really hard I get about 22 MPG. If I ride normally, I see around 30-32 MPH and I don't know what my hiway mileage is. I try not to do much of that.

My manual states my tank holds 4.76 US gal with F reserve of 0.9 gal (and F has been good for up to 35 more miles before I gave in & filled up---still with some left). All with high octane. :D

This bike is terrific!

Another octane discussion? :ugh:

Let's just do it now... :chat:

Camp 1: It's made to run 87... keep it cheap, the higher octane gets worse milage...

Camp 2: Higher octane is better, so use it.

I used to think Camp 2, but I'm fine with Camp 1. If the engine was engineered and timed to use 87, perhaps it is better. I know it gets more detailed than that, but in essence it's just a few cents per gallon and the difference in performance won't be noticed by the all important butt dyno, so in reality, it should be a moot point.

Good enough? :disturbed

In the completely stock configuration I was getting between 120 to 140 miles to a tank with my 07. Since putting my slip on exhaust on I am getting a bit better now and actually saw 180 miles out of a tank, sounds crazy I know, I checked and rechecked three times but it was 180 miles. This was mostly highway miles in 55 MPH zones and a few 65 MPH zones. I was pretty surprised and don't expect to get this kind of mpg on a regular basis but it is good to know it is capable of it. I am expecting I will average in the 130 to 140 miles per tank area with maybe a few 150 tanks when not driving like I stoled it:sinister:

Supposed to be 68 here in SE Wisconsin today and rain to wash the salt off the roads. If this keeps up I will be riding soon:tup:

I actually did do the experiment of running it to empty.

The tank exactly holds 4.8 usable gallons + change but that remnant is never visible as it never gets to the pump.

Here is the fuelly fill up

Date Miles Gal. MPG Price City %
2/9/12 171.9 4.80 35.8 3.500 40%

All the mpgs even in cars have been going down over the years with the EPA shit. Even the Ninja 1000 which is supposedly better than the FZ1 in stock form gives poor mpg ... the new R1s, Aprilias are worst - they don't even cross 30 mpg... I however love the Hondas as they somehow still manage to give great mpg . The new fireblade is great in that regard ... around 45-48 mpg on freeway. The older GSXR1000s were also amazing - easily touching 50 mpgs ...

I don't care about mpgs during a spirited ride but I do commute a LOT on mine and then I do care and track my mpgs. I get 36-37 over a 30-70 city-hwy mix ..

I recently took out the R1 and while I didn't ride aggressive I wasn't looking for mileage either. Anyway when I went to refuel I was shocked to see I pulled down 44MPG. I have never seen the mileage on the FZ1 even come close to that!

I recently took out the R1 and while I didn't ride aggressive I wasn't looking for mileage either. Anyway when I went to refuel I was shocked to see I pulled down 44MPG. I have never seen the mileage on the FZ1 even come close to that!

Aerodynamics and a more efficiently designed machine!

FZ1's huge 45 mm throttle bodies are its bane really. 38mm like the Ninja1000 would have given the FZ1 the midrange it was missing and also better mpgs. There is a reason why the FZ1 runs too rich even in stock form. Those damn 45 mm throttle bodies.

Last edited:
I think I'm only getting between 100-120 miles per tank or at least until the low fuel alert starts making me nervous. I know I've gone 20-30 miles on reserve (post low fuel warning) but I try to get gas ASAP.

I think that's about 33-36mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per tank, or when the bar flashes? My fuel bar flashes around 100, but I've riden to 140 miles before I filled up. I really want to see when it will run dry, but heard that's not good for FI

Per tank, or when the bar flashes? My fuel bar flashes around 100, but I've riden to 140 miles before I filled up. I really want to see when it will run dry, but heard that's not good for FI

Not good for you either...pushing the bike to the gas station is not much fun.

Back