Is October too late to ride from GA to WA?

Got a friend in WA who wants me to visit. She offered a plane ticket but if I can ride, I'd like to. Is October too late or should I just take the plane ticket? I was kind of hoping to use it as a dry run for my big trip starting in the spring.

Other than some rain Washington is fine for riding in October. My sister lives in Athens GA and I had been thinking of riding that way, but flew instead. That is a very aggressive plan for a ride! Should be fine just don't hit the highest passes...If you have any questions in particular let me know.

Are you going to be going through Montana or Idaho? Some of the mountain passes may start getting icy, even eastern Washington. (33 years of living and traveling that area)

Stay as far south as you can. I just spent some time in Aspen & we drove thru snow on Independence Pass. Granted it wasn't much but it was still cold & wet enough to where I was happy NOT to be on the bike.

The passes up in Eastern Wa and Id will probably be getting snow or will be cold as heck. A little frost will most likely be covering the roads in the morning or late night. Lived there for 4 years just left in August.

It's funny, all this advice and no body said "Get a plane ticket!!" I guess I better make some more heated gear.

Watch the weather channel and plan your route carefully. I am still seeing really warm temperatures across most of the southern states. The coast can be very cool if you run right along it going north. Like others have said avoid the higher elevation passes, and go soon, or a plane ride back might be in your future:eek5:.

Get the damn plane ticket!@# You'll be there in ~4-5 hrs and get to spend an extra 8-10 days with your lady friend :) vs riding back through the different elements.

:chat::chat::chat:

She's my best friend and I haven't seen her since I got out of the hospital and wasn't quite myself. She's had two kids since then! I think I'm just going to accept the ticket and beat myself up for not thinking about going to see her earlier in the summer. I didn't need to mod the bike!

Take the ticket now and the epic ride next spring! October weather is iffy in the northwest...it can be amazing, and it can be awful. Get a good visit in with your friend (rent a bike for a day if you must) and enjoy your time with her.

Back