Ireland 2014

If you get nice weather you'll have a ball. And if you don't you'll have a ball anyway.

The scenery on the west coast is amazing. West Cork, Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo etc. You could take the Tarbert/Killimer ferry across the Shannon estuary to Kilrush if you want to stay coastal.

Hopefully it won't rain too much :)

Dry Season?

Plans are made to tour the coastal lines of Ireland next June 2014

Is June in the "Dry" season, or do they even have such a thing? We lucked out for most of our trip to England, but still had a few soggy days.

I look forward to your pictures and video of the trip. Making your way to North America one island at a time?

no plans for the TT. Actually our bikes get shipped to Ireland by truck/boat where we'll fly to Dublin. It is a 9 day tour with 8 day riding days and a day to spend in those typical famous Dublin bars. :cheerleader:

Is June in the "Dry" season, or do they even have such a thing?

No, it rains all year round, some years are soggier than others. I'm from there and usually go back for my visits in June as it stays bright until nearly 11pm so you get the benefit of really long days.

But sometimes even June is a washout, its a total lottery. This year the summer there was pretty good.

September has been good to me

My little sister married a boy from tip and lived in county cork for close to 12 years and out of the half dozen times I journeyed over there most were in the month of September, with a st paddys day thrown in! Every trip in September was glorious weather, might have been irish luck, not sure? On thing I learned in all my trips over was to make sure to stop in Dingle and have a pint, or session, at Dick Mack's! My favorite pub of all time. Cheers and safe journeys, you will have a great time!

Getting ready for my trip to Ireland. Just put my new Heidenau K60 Scout tires on (if possible I'll opt for some local offroad sections ) This is a comfy trip: The bike will be transported by truck to Dublin, arriving next Saturday and we will fly to Dublin. So landing, exit, hop on the bike and off we go.
Our routes are displayed below (K:Short Version, L=Long Version)
21/6: 1K Dublin Airport tot Waterford 229 km
21/6: 1L Dublin Airport tot Waterford 308 km
22/6: 2K Waterford tot Cork 347 km
22/6: 2L Waterford tot Cork 428 km
23/6: 3K Cork tot Killarney 328 km
23/6: 3L Cork tot Killarney 516 km
24/6: 4K Killarney tot Limerick 323 km
24/6: 4L Killarney tot Limerick 471 km
25/6: 5K Limerick tot Sligo 404 km
25/6: 5L Limerick tot Sligo 522 km
25/6: 6K Limerick tot Sligo 108 km
26/6: 6K Sligo tot Letterkenny 316 km
26/6: 6L Sligo tot Letterkenny 373 km
27/6: 7K Letterkenny tot Belfast 292 km
27/6: 7L Letterkenny tot Belfast 385 km
28/6: 8K Belfast tot Dublin 308 km
28/6: 8L Belfast tot Dublin 407 km
29/6: Dublin city visit
If any Irish bikers along the road wanna ride along or meet, drop me a PM and I'll share my gsm#

Camera, GoPro etc are with me so will hopefully share on the route or afterwards lots of nice pics/vids..

Oflloaded the bike at the warehouse last Tuesday. That evening all the bikes will be loaded onto a specialized truck and travel to Dublin. Tomorrow we take RyanAir to Dublin from Zaventem and will be arriving/landing at Dublin around 10h local time. The bikes will by then be waiting for us.

The weather forecast kinda look allright

Tomorrow

Saturday will continue mainly dry with sunny spells. A little drizzle may develop in northern parts of Connacht and Ulster. Highest temperatures of 18 to 23 degrees, warmest in the south.

Outlook

Saturday night will stay dry with lowest temperatures of 8 to 11 degrees.

Sunday and Monday will continue dry with sunny spells and light breezes. Highest temperatures of 17 to 22 degrees, coolest in Ulster and warmest in Munster.

On Tuesday the southern half of the country will stay dry with bright or sunny spells. However it will be cloudier further north with outbreaks of light rain or drizzle possible, especially in north Connacht and Ulster. Highest temperatures of 16 to 21 degrees with light variable breezes.

Current indications suggest that a front will spread eastwards across the country on Wednesday bringing rain or drizzle to many areas for a time. From Thursday onwards it looks like there'll be a greater risk of some showers, but still a good deal of dry weather overall. Temperatures will range from around 16 to 21 degrees.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 36
trip report (as reported also on FB) Pictures and video's to follow

Day1 roadtrip Ireland from Dublin via local twisties to Comnel. Weather sunny, roads good asphalt, beautiful scenery. And now a Guinness

Day2 roadtrip Ireland. Fron Clonmel to Waterford. Running and repairing a flat fronttire in Copaquin. Whole day riding in green environment.Along the coastline south having a icecup in Cobh and ending the day in Cork

Day 3 roadtrip Ireland. Taking off from Cork to Old head via lots of twisties. Onwards having a break in Clonakilty. Following the coastline via Skibbereen, Bantry and lunch in Glengarrif. Then we ride the twisties on the Beara ring. Awesom...e nature beauty. Having a stop at Dursey Island, and drive via Ardgroom, Kenmare onto the Ring of Kerry. Taking the shortcut through even more scenic roads through forrest and hils up to Killorglin. On this section we're amazed by these views Lees meer

Day4 roadtrip Ireland. From Killarney to Limerick. First scenic route around Killarney National park, followed by technical twisties in Black Valley and Gap of Dunloe. Via Castlemaine into Dingle peninsula, with beautiful sandy stretches of... beach at Inch, Slea Head and Ballybunion. A small walk took us to the Bromore Cliffs. From the coastal narrow roads to the fast sweepers on the N69 with superb shoreviews at the Mouth of The Shannon. We stopped for a last coffee at Adare, before heading to Oxbore via the M20

Day5 roadtrip Ireland. A long route projected from Limerick up north towards Sligo. Taking off from Limerick via a short stretch along the M18 to the Cliffs of Moher via Ennis, but not without passing a few typical Irish castles (of which p...lenty are visible from the road, some used as hotel, other just ruins) The must see when visiting West Ireland are the Cliffs of Moher, a bit overrated though. Continuing via the Wild Atlantic Route we headed towards Galway. Lots of twisties on good asphalt road were passing under our wheels. Stopping for lunch at Oughterard next to Lough Corrib. We headed west towards Clifden, driving through the rough landscape of the Connemara. Visiting Kingston at coast via the Sky Road revealed again the beautiful coastline of Ireland. Then it went via the N59 Westport-Castlebar where a heavy rainshower pinned us down. Sitting the rain out we continued via Pontoon crossing Lough Cullin where the last strech towards Sligo was quickly ridden via Ballina in a drizzling rain. Hoping tomorrow towards Letterkenny the sun is with us.

Day6 roadtrip Ireland. Taking off from Sligo city with drizzling rain which will be the menu throughout the day. One has told me you haven't truly visited Ireland if not visited while raining. Via the beuatiful Glencarr waterfall we continued into Northern Ireland, passing the eastside of Lower Lough Erne, where a short but superb trackquality street rolled under the wheels. Via the Black Gap we travelled via Donegal towards Killybegs, where large trawlerships were being read...ied to sail out. A beautiful sandy beach with great rock formations at Bay Fintrach was a welcome break before heading into the rough mountains, and many hairpins in The Rosses. Following further the coast scenic route before turning right via Glenveagh National Park to arrive at Letterkenny. Tomorrow day 7 will take us again into Northern Ireland, with destination Belfast.

Day7 roadtrip Ireland. Today the route took us from Letterkenny via Londonderry (with still impressing still memories of the troubled times not so long ago) to the most northest point of the island at Malin Head. From there via the twisty c...oastal roads we took the ferry back into Northern Ireland. Soon after debarking we passed a large military complex/prison. Even further every policestation has large walls and high fences. Quite impressive though. Also the Union Jack is highly visible here. Next stop was at Joey's Bar and the memorial of both Joey and Robert Dunlop @ Ballymonney, after which we drove up north to see (yet another tourist trap) the Giant's Causeway. Not that giant though. Driving along the B15/A2 coast road with (and it does not get bored) a lot of twisties Passing the Antrim Mountains on the right and the North Channel on the left the bike and rider were smiling from ear to ear, with the sun fully present. And passing Carrickfergus castle (where King William III landed in the 17th century) we headed to our hotel at the Belfast Intl airport. Tomorrow last day heading down Dublin. Lees meer

Day8 roadtrip Ireland. Last day of riding going from Belfast via back and B-roads with destination Dublin. Riding south following Lough Neach and Lough Bech, again (this does not get bored) fun twisties. Via Aghagallon the route took us to Armagh (something special there about St Patrick) from where I continued the Armagh Road aka St Patricks trail towards Downpatrick. Next cruising the coastal road alongside the Mourne Mountains to have a walk on the beach at Kilkee. Back up... NorthWest towards Newry to round Carlingford Lough. Crossing the border was only noticable via the speedsigns at Kilcurry. Following further south via Dundalk, having a chat with some fishermen trying to repair a rusty old boat at Annagassan, riding via Clogherhead, Drogheda to exit at Balbriggan to visit the Battle of Boyne field. A last visit of the large park and grassfields at Ardgillan Demesne Castle before arriving at the final stop. It was a great week and definitely a recommendation to visit this beautiful country. Best enjoyed on two wheels

Attachments

• Irelandday3_1.jpg
    Irelandday3_1.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 33
  • Irelandday3_2.jpg
    Irelandday3_2.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 33
  • Irelandday4_1.jpg
    Irelandday4_1.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 29
  • Irelandday5_1.jpg
    Irelandday5_1.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Irelandday6-1.jpg
    Irelandday6-1.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Irelandday7-1.jpg
    Irelandday7-1.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 30
Ireland day1

From Dublin going south along the coastal road after driving through the prairies of Wicklow Mountains. A first impression of Irelands beautiful suroundings, good quality roads and the many to come twisties. Also a first ferry trip to cross at Ballyhack near Duncannon

Attachments

• DSCF0692.jpg
    DSCF0692.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0695.jpg
    DSCF0695.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 22
  • SAM_1059.jpg
    SAM_1059.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 23
  • SAM_1063.jpg
    SAM_1063.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 24
  • SAM_1088.jpg
    SAM_1088.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 25
Ireland day2

Day started in good condition, but had to stop to repair my front tire. Lucky got helped out by the other bikers. Lesson I learned was to have some tools and some spare innertube with me all times. It showed the Irish people are very friendly and helpful in lending out their tools, even on Sunday. The ride took us to Cobh, the port where the HMS Titanic took off on her maiden voyage, to never return.

Attachments

• SAM_1095.jpg
    SAM_1095.jpg
    228.8 KB · Views: 30
  • GOPR2342.jpg
    GOPR2342.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 25
  • SAM_1138.jpg
    SAM_1138.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 26
  • SAM_1097.jpg
    SAM_1097.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 27
  • SUNP0017.jpg
    SUNP0017.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 28
Ireland day3

Taking off from Cork to Old head cliffs. Onwards having a break in Clonakilty. Following the coastline via Skibbereen, Bantry and lunch in Glengarrif. Then we ride the twisties on the Beara ring. Awesome nature beauty. Having a stop at Dursey Island, and drive via Ardgroom, Kenmare onto the Ring of Kerry. Taking the shortcut through even more scenic roads through forrest and hils up to Killorglin.

Attachments

• DSCF0706.jpg
    DSCF0706.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0741.jpg
    DSCF0741.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0730.jpg
    DSCF0730.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0776.jpg
    DSCF0776.jpg