Internal Engine Mods

Just curious if anyone has done any internal engine mods.

I am in the process of doing a cam and head gasket swap, and found that when i put the bike back together the first time I hag both cams off one tooth, and the bike would only start a wot and even then would only run at wot( no idle)

tore down and corrected the cam timing hopefully tomorrow i will have it back together and get it on the dyno at work.

What cam did you put in? Were you going for more top end or mid range? The bike runs so well with the stock caming, you are the first I've heard decided to go to a cam change.

I have heard of people swapping in R1 cams but if I remember correctly the gains where not worth the expense. Good luck with the cams though I would love to see what your results are!

Just curious if anyone has done any internal engine mods.

I am in the process of doing a cam and head gasket swap, and found that when i put the bike back together the first time I hag both cams off one tooth, and the bike would only start a wot and even then would only run at wot( no idle)

tore down and corrected the cam timing hopefully tomorrow i will have it back together and get it on the dyno at work.

Well don't forget that you're going to have to modify the rev limiter in order to get the full benefit out of those R1 cams. Also the FZ1 crank is heavier than the R1 so I don't know how much you can safely rev it beyond stock rev limit. Keep us posted on your results...

I amtrying to use the 2004-06 r1 cam
checked all electrical connections, the only code thrown is the air box censor is the air box sencor which is unpluged and does not change a thing except the code goes away when pluged in.

The intake cam is the only cam you can use.

As most of you know I put an R1 intake came and head gasket on my bike.
I really don't recomend this mod as its not worth the cost to buy the parts and install them as the useable power is too high up and you lose low-end and mid-range and even the high rpm is not much better.
When my motor comes apart again im going back to the Fz cam so I can get th low-mid range back as I miss it.

Here is my dyno sheet with a slip-on,Gutted Cat,pc3,graves v-stacks,Ivan's Butterflys,Ivan's F.C.E,Airbox Mod,BMC filter,R1 intake cam,R1 head Gasket.
The blue line was the baseline not tuned.The green line is tuned at 12.9-13.0.The red line should be overlooked.
As you can see the bike is still building power at the rev-limiter I have rev-extend now so it should be 2-3hp more.
Picture002.jpg

Last edited:
I also see that you hit the spray at about 6200 there is no other way to build that kind of a power spike. how much are you running?
looks fun

Last edited:
Cam install was done early yesterday afternoon, put on Dyno last night and made 9hp over what i had. so i figure a good improvement for having not done any mapping yet. only gained 2lb ft of torque. so here are a list of mods so far,
TBR slip on, pc3, k&N, Opened airbox, Gutted cat, 2004-06 r1 intake cam and head gasket, for a total of 25 more hp than i had stock.

Back