Incredible Power-band (on a 20 minute ride).

Sactown2008

My five week old 2008 FZ1 tried to unload my poor body on my 1st ride in nine days(rain). I was doing the posted 45mph in 4th when the street light turned yellow.

Do I grab a ton of brakes to try and stop in time or gun it to beat it turning red? If I was on one of my many rented HDs I always downshifted to get thru a yellow light.

I only gave it half throttle and this thing launched. Just before I rolled off the gas on the far side of a large intersection (no cars) I was at 68mph and climbing fast.

If it was not for the rise to the passenger seat, the FZ1 would have shot out from under me at the moment of acceleration. This was a good lesson, "This bike does NOT respond like a 645 lbs V-Twin."

I am SO IMPRESSED by the engineering marvel of the 998cc Japanese in-line four. Since this is my first (running) motorcycle, I cannot imagine what a drag racer must go thru at launch.

:worship:

Well never mind at launch since that can be a little tricky and takes some practice.

Go find yourself a nice open stretch and open it up in 2nd or 3rd gear and you'll really feel the acceleration. I'm purposely not telling you to use 1st gear since you're not used to the power yet :D

Ditto, I was going to say the same thing Tony said. Frankly, the powerband of this bike is nothing to write home about till you hit 6-8k rpms.

When I am riding spiritedly, I shift anywhere between 9-12k rpms and usually in the twisties I am always on the cam running at 8-10k rpms hitting corner apexes at like 4k trail braking away.

You need to explore the performance envelope of this bike on a deserted road. It will make you a bit more comfortable and not get surprised by the power at 5k rpms :D

Ditto, I was going to say the same thing Tony said. Frankly, the powerband of this bike is nothing to write home about till you hit 6-8k rpms.

When I am riding spiritedly, I shift anywhere between 9-12k rpms and usually in the twisties I am always on the cam running at 8-10k rpms hitting corner apexes at like 4k trail braking away.

You need to explore the performance envelope of this bike on a deserted road. It will make you a bit more comfortable and not get surprised by the power at 5k rpms :D

Better yet take it to the track and really see what the bike and you are capable of, in a safe environment.

Once you get that part sorted out with tuning, you will not believe how snappy these bikes ride.

Be careful learning and enjoy the bike.

Beast

SO not used to this bike

Well never mind at launch since that can be a little tricky and takes some practice.

Go find yourself a nice open stretch and open it up in 2nd or 3rd gear and you'll really feel the acceleration. I'm purposely not telling you to use 1st gear since you're not used to the power yet :D

You said it brother. Its fun, but it requires allot of respect. My grown son says I "migtht as well have a Vespa 150 going down our street."

I knew all those rented Harleys were NOT crotch rockets, so I always took my time.

Wow. SICK RPMS

I think Infineon in Sonoma Co, CA has track day lessons for RANK beginners. I will investgate that as soon as I take the Safety Course.

Bad Back Rx

I have had all kinds of sportbikes and two Harley's and I like this by far the best for an average ride. Speed and comfort

I am awaiting an MRI approval for a "possible" laminectomy at L3-L4. When I ask my Dr. why this partial sport-bike position does not hurt like a desk chair (or crusier), he replied my "impingment is at the back-lower-right side and we have very little vertibae pain sensation in the front."

So, "Leaning forward helps."

This a a bonus to the incredible acceleration, RIGHT?

:nothing:

I remember the first time I had the FZ1 up near 8K! :eek5: Surprised was putting it mildly, and that was with me preparing myself, so I can only imagine how you felt! Haha! It's so "mild mannered" down below 4K that it lulls you to sleep, but man, you had better be holding on when the tach inches past 6K, because it wakes up like a startled lion!

The best part of the lack of mid-range.........it sure does make that top end charge feel sweet.

My last bike was a 2002 hayabusa. The power was delivered with such a broad flat spread of torque it didn't always " feel " fast.

The top end hit on the FZ1 after the weak low-mid makes it feel like you just hit the nitrous or the turbo just spooled. Such a fun hit up top.

From 7000 rpm these bikes really start to hammer.
I'm used to riding much faster Sportsbikes but not having a faring makes this bike quite a different kettle of fish.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

My five week old 2008 FZ1 tried to unload my poor body on my 1st ride in nine days(rain). I was doing the posted 45mph in 4th when the street light turned yellow.

Do I grab a ton of brakes to try and stop in time or gun it to beat it turning red? If I was on one of my many rented HDs I always downshifted to get thru a yellow light.

I only gave it half throttle and this thing launched. Just before I rolled off the gas on the far side of a large intersection (no cars) I was at 68mph and climbing fast.

If it was not for the rise to the passenger seat, the FZ1 would have shot out from under me at the moment of acceleration. This was a good lesson, "This bike does NOT respond like a 645 lbs V-Twin."

I am SO IMPRESSED by the engineering marvel of the 998cc Japanese in-line four. Since this is my first (running) motorcycle, I cannot imagine what a drag racer must go thru at launch.

Good you and blke are still in one piece! As Ballmead say's - above 7000rpm is a whole new world. One's knuckles can get quite white from there to redline so be hang on! Personally, I like the mid range - very user friendly and accelerating out of corners is predictable without too much fear of losing the back end. Heaps of power up there, just use it with respect (fast clutch use works best) It will, in the end, bring out the hooligan in you. :angel:

Good you and blke are still in one piece! As Ballmead say's - above 7000rpm is a whole new world. One's knuckles can get quite white from there to redline so be hang on! Personally, I like the mid range - very user friendly and accelerating out of corners is predictable without too much fear of losing the back end. Heaps of power up there, just use it with respect (fast clutch use works best) It will, in the end, bring out the hooligan in you. :angel:

Man, that's so true about bringing out the hooligan! I find it hard not to play in the 8k+ range because it's so fun. I can't help crushing my wife's little Ninja 250 sometimes. :spank2: She just shakes her head in disapproval :disapproval: and then we can move on. : oops:

Man, that's so true about bringing out the hooligan! I find it hard not to play in the 8k+ range because it's so fun. I can't help crushing my wife's little Ninja 250 sometimes. :spank2: She just shakes her head in disapproval :disapproval: and then we can move on. : oops:

I was riding in front of my wife's car the other day on a deserted road and popped the front end up at 60 cause I was bored. Boy did I get an earful when we got home :)

"Can you take the bike today? I might get off early."

Oh yeah! It's only a matter of time now until he's on a back road somewhere practicing his wheelies!!!!:Rockon:

What a question! I was grinning all the way to work. It rained the last two days (after the "Lets fly out from under Doug," experience Tuesday evening).

I did not want residential folks to hate me at 630am, so I ran low RPMs in 2nd thru downtown streets. Once I got on a long sweeping 45mph curve in an empty business area, it was amazing to still be in 3rd and no were near 5,000rpm.

It really CAN "Rock you to sleep below 4000rpm."

WHEELIES? WHEELIES?? My face hurts from grinning only going thru the gears to arrive at 50mph in 5th.

Back