In case you've ever wondered

What the he** is wrong with me.
About 4 months ago I was diagnosed as Bi-polar 1.
I've tossed around the idea of telling people, not that it particularly matters on the interweb.
When the diagnosis came back everyone I know (that I told) had basically the same reaction.
Completely unsurprised and "well that explains a lot"
Anyway if anyone knows anyone else who is I'd like some tips on dealing with it...
I've walked on a few jobs because of my attitude (not like they were anything worth a da** anyway)

It's great to be diagnosed. Knowledge is power :) The hardest part is explaining it to people, I bet. There's such a stigma involved with mental illness and it's completely misplaced. Thanks for sharing

I work in mental health here in BC and it's very fascinating work. One of my closest friends is also recently diagnosed with bipolar.

Are you on any medications?

It's great to be diagnosed. Knowledge is power :) The hardest part is explaining it to people, I bet. There's such a stigma involved with mental illness and it's completely misplaced. Thanks for sharing

I work in mental health here in BC and it's very fascinating work. One of my closest friends is also recently diagnosed with bipolar.

Are you on any medications?

I don't think it's really considered it a mental illness more of a mental disorder...

Yeah I take Welbutrin and Adderal. ADHD is also pretty well known to go hand in hand with bi polar.
I don't tend to get so much the euphoric end of it. (Some) but I do get the other end of the spectrum. It takes nothing for me to be ready to rip someone's head off, and usually within a matter of minutes I'm fine again. (Not like 2 but 10-20)

I always was like most people about the drugs "they're over prescribed" and "anybody can be put on them" but I'm a completely different person when I'm on them and when I'm not.

I have an immediate family member who has this as well. Without meds, a completely different person. The meds, in this case, are necessary for being able to deal with each day and maintain a steady job. It's not easy nor pleasant to deal with either the meds or the disorder but the meds definitely are the lesser of two problems.

I'm sorry you have to deal with this and I see, every day, what you have to deal with. Stay the course with the meds. You'll do fine.

Cant say I have wondered that about you. I know one person that is bi polar and it always seem that the biggest problem they have is. They take medication and feel good for so long that they think they dont need the medicine any more. Once they stop its all down hill till they get back on the medicine. I beleve its all about working with your doctor till you find what is the best for you, then stick to it. They also once told me that regular sleep helps them alot

Sleep, diet and regular exercise goes a long way in promoting healthy brain chemistry -- that's all a mental disorder is, brain chemistry. What you eat has an especially strong effect on mental health.

The medications are a pain in the ass and side effects are common but stay the course and work with the doctor to be on an little as you need to live a balanced life. :)

Last edited:
Cant say I have wondered that about you. I know one person that is bi polar and it always seem that the biggest problem they have is. They take medication and feel good for so long that they think they dont need the medicine any more. Once they stop its all down hill till they get back on the medicine. I beleve its all about working with your doctor till you find what is the best for you, then stick to it. They also once told me that regular sleep helps them alot

Yes definitely sleep helps. If I don't get my beauty rest I get pissy very easily.

Sleep, diet and regular exercise goes a long way in promoting healthy brain chemistry -- that's all a mental disorder is, brain chemistry. What you eat has an especially strong effect on mental health.

The medications are a pain in the ass and side effects are common but stay the course and work with the doctor to be on an little as you need to live a balanced life. :)

I try to maintain a regular sleep schedule. The last few months I've been exercising 3-6 times a week.

Problem seems to be if I back off sugar intake too much I get cranky too, not sure why. I don't sit around and eat ho ho's and Oreos all day but if I go for more than 2-3 days without at least enough sugar as a soda I get irritable.
I also go to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy regularly. It helps.

Last edited:
Problem seems to be if I back off sugar intake too much I get cranky too, not sure why. I don't sit around and eat ho ho's and Oreos all day but if I go for more than 2-3 days without at least enough sugar as a soda I get irritable.

That's because processed sugars have a direct effect on serotonin levels in the brain and have the same sort of withdrawal symptoms as hard drugs. Sugar is a real bitch. You would do yourself a favour cutting those things out of your life, especially high fructose corn syrup which is particularly bad.

Last edited:
That's because processed sugars have a direct effect on serotonin levels in the brain and have the same sort of withdrawal symptoms as hard drugs. Sugar is a real bitch. You would do yourself a favour cutting those things out of your life, especially high fructose corn syrup which is particularly bad.

That's a tough one to get away from, that crap is in everything. I've never been particularly prone to addiction tho. I smoked for a few years when I was younger, decided it cost too much and quit just like that. I drink occasionally but don't ever feel like I have to, but when I was in the military I did a lot of it, again backed off due to cost. A case a night gets expensive quickly.

I got Bipolar Disorder as well. I have been dealing with it for more than 10 years. Just been regular with the medication and it is fine. You can easily deal with Bipolar when you can sense your episodes of going up (Mania) or down (Depression) in advance.

I got Bipolar Disorder as well. I have been dealing with it for more than 10 years. Just been regular with the medication and it is fine. You can easily deal with Bipolar when you can sense your episodes of going up (Mania) or down (Depression) in advance.
I'm learning how to get an early jump on the mood changes.

I admire you both being open on this one. Not easy to deal with I reckon... talking about it here would hopefully helps you
I figured if stuff went wrong I'd just ditch the forum. I don't personally know any of you so it's not like I may have a strange social situation to worry about.

It's nothing to worry about. It might not be curable, but very controllable.
Just don't dwell on it.

It certainly seems to help me be able to talk about it.

Oh hell! We all get a little weird at some point or another. At least you have a reason. :noworries:

According to my girlfriend, Im "just an asshole"! :woot:

Oh hell! We all get a little weird at some point or another. At least you have a reason. :noworries:

According to my girlfriend, Im "just an asshole"! :woot:

I wish I could get a bipolar diagnosis but unfortunately I'm just an asshole myself . :D

Bipolar joke for you ...

I HATE BEING BIPOLAR !!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, IT'S AWESOME !!!!

Oh I figure if I'm not told I'm an Asshole by at least one person a day I'm not doing something right.

Don't think of it like that. Rather think of it like this -> that you are different (extraordinary), don't tell people about it, if they can see the difference in you and accept you the way you are well and good, hell with the rest and put your disorder to your advantage.

My significant other for five years has been hospitalized and diagnosed bi-polar before we met, so is my mother.

From my experiences... I don't think it matters in the grand scheme of things.

Everything is very relative and each case is different, some more manageable than others. An important aspect that I think has helped a lot is having a wall to lean on it when you need it, and to step away when it is necessary. I think I can speak for my loved ones when I say the most frustrating part of all of it is knowing some emotions but not understanding the why.

As stated above, knowledge is power. As long as one can stay motivated he or she has the potential and the tools to accomplish any goal within reason (I will probably never sprout wings and fly to the moon and back if that was my goal - but I bet I could get to the moon one day if it was that important to me).

Back