I'm looking at a 2007 FJR

Hey guys. I'm looking at a 2007 FJR at a small, friendly shop that deals in used bikes, Fuel Cycles. I just wanted some opinions about what it might be worth. I know it just had a fork seal leak that they fixed. I've taken a short ride on it with my son on the back. I guess I thought $10,250 sounded like a bit much. Kelly Blue Book puts one in excellent condition at $8,825. The shop owner has become a friend and I'd like to be fair with him and help his business, but $1,500 seems like a bit much.

IMG_1506-300x200.jpg
IMG_1505-300x200.jpg

I also like the 2006 Road Star Warrior.
IMG_1495-300x200.jpg
IMG_1494-300x200.jpg

He has it at $7,200 and Kelly Blue Book puts it at $6,865. That's a bit closer.

I don't think I'll really have the money to pick one up soon (I'm NOT selling my FZ1), but you never know, and I like to dream a bit. Any insight would be appreciated.

PS, they even have a 1986 Honda Helix for pilot8127...
IMG-20111112-00509.jpg

Last edited:
Never buy used from local non-authorized dealers or even any dealer. Always something fishy going on with the motor, forks, etc. Plus prices are ridiculous. If two of my over eager idiot friends would have asked me first they would have saved 1000-1500 by buying from a private party.

Well that FJR looks nice and it's a great sport touring bike, but it's way over priced! I don't know the mileage on it, but personally I wouldn't pay more than $8500 for it...

Thanks BDazzler! Always room for another Helix !! WoooWHooooo . .. . .! I don't have a red one :frown:

I'm a big Helix fan myself. It always puts a smile on my face and I believe it is the bike that put maxiscooters on the map.

That bike is handsome and I love the black cherry color. I tend to agree with crazybiker. I think you'd do better off of craigslist for price and quality as long as you can get a test ride and authorized Yamaha dealers should be reticent to sell a used Yamaha with known problems. But that's just one man's opinion. Go with your heart.

I'm a big Helix fan myself. It always puts a smile on my face and I believe it is the bike that put maxiscooters on the map.

That bike is handsome and I love the black cherry color. I tend to agree with crazybiker. I think you'd do better off of craigslist for price and quality as long as you can get a test ride and authorized Yamaha dealers should be reticent to sell a used Yamaha with known problems. But that's just one man's opinion. Go with your heart.

I agree with Norm and crazybiker. :+2: on this BDazzler. The Helix is a real 'smile' machine and the FJR is too as it is a great all round, sport-tourer. Heck, make them an offer well below the advertised price. You never know until you try !
I always offer them less. I hear the word NO alot too . . . :confused0024:

In fact, Billy told me no so often, (while we negotiated for weeks on the selling price of his FZ) I couldn't believe it when he finally said yes ! :woot:

The first pic below is the '95 Helix. I paid $1000. for it w/ 2300 miles on it. The second pic is the one I bought in Nov. It's a '94 model w/ 7K. miles on the clock. I paid more for it--$1,400. because it has an upgraded windscreen, throttle lock, and a quick detachable locking top box. Both were bought on craigslist from private owners and both were purchased for less than the asking price. I stay away for the stealerships if possible.

Mate, if you don't have the cash then why bother even worrying about the price the bloke has on it?? Keep the friendship and save the negotiation till you have the cash.......

Its only got 15600 miles on the clock....not too bad for a 2007 model. Thats only about 4000 per year. Maybe the asking price isn't too bad.......

Last edited:
I say never make a deal worrying about the "other guy needing to make money". YOU are the one who is trying to make a deal. The seller (especially a dealer) will more than make up for any deal you get by overcharging the next guy. My friend who sells cars (honda/toyota) told me that he "would make up for the deal I got from the next customer". And in reality, they ALWAYS make money at a dealership. That's from the mouth of a Ducati salesman (yep, another friend).

Being friends with the guy doesn't mean you are obligated to get 'screwed' by him either. Friend or not, his job is to take your money.

Last edited:
Pilot, I wish you could meet this guy Lou on my Maxi-scoot board. (Unfortunately he lives in Wisconsin). A very friendly and self confident man who put a few hundred thousand miles on 2 Gold Wings but when he got a little older and tired of their weight he went with three different maxi-scoots. His favorite is the Helix. Having put about 5000 miles on one myself I understand fully.

Pilot, I wish you could meet this guy Lou on my Maxi-scoot board. (Unfortunately he lives in Wisconsin). A very friendly and self confident man who put a few hundred thousand miles on 2 Gold Wings but when he got a little older and tired of their weight he went with three different maxi-scoots. His favorite is the Helix. Having put about 5000 miles on one myself I understand fully.

I hear you Norm. I like Lou already !!
I've also had a Burgy-650. GREAT scooter. Heavy as all get out but for cruisin' or touring under 300 miles, it's fantastic. But, the reality is that I literally ride my '95 Helix everyday. Weather permitting, (no snow or sub-thirty temps), I do-- ride it daily! I have never had a two-wheeler that was as easy to handle, service, or RIDE as a Helix. NONE. I've owned a boat-load of bikes too and the Helix is the easy winner when all the numbers are crunched.
When I'm too old to fold myself up on the FZ, or to feeble to handle the weight of the bigger boats, I'll still be seen out there puttin along at 60+mph, and gettin' a miserly 60+mpg on my Helix !! :woot:
Norm, the first pic is the Burgman. The Burgy sold easily. The second pic is my current Helix (my favorite so far). The next pic is the odometer on the Helix. THe last two pics are of my recent purchase. Yes, ,, it's for sale . . . . :confused0024:

Huh?

pilot, whats with the dead fox????

Ahh, the dead fox . . . . I bought him (or her) at a local auction a few years ago. He is a professionally made 'stole' fur, and is made to be worn around the lady's neck! I took the hook and clasp off and use him to showcase a motorcycle every now and then and, he absolutelty loves to ride on the back of the cycles!! He's 48" tip of the nose to the tip of the tail and is as soft as he looks. I can't keep him in the house tho because my little terrier growls and sulks if he's in the room with her. . . heh,heh. I paid less than 30 bucks for him and he's become a regular member of the family.

Back