Ignition Module Tuning

Hello All,
I recently just added a PCV to my bike and I am very happy with it. Makes riding the bike much more enjoyable. I am now considering getting an ignition module since I have read it helps with the mpg and the bike will run cooler. Before I make the purchase I was hoping for some people that had one to answer some questions.

How much cooler does the bike run? Will it reduce the hot seat?
How much improvement if any on MPG?

I did not see any specific maps for the ignition module do you just plug and play and the maps we load have revised ignition timing? How do you best tune it for the map I am running?

+1 For a little more than an Ignition module, you can get Ivan's ECU flash which not only has ignition changes it also gives full power in gears 1-3, fuel cut elimination, increased revs, cooler running due to ignition and thermo fans coming on earlier and generally a much smoother ride.

Sent from my Nexus 5

If I may just ask a quick question here on the subject? I'd like to know if you need a Power Commander installed in order to have the ECU Flashed, or does the Flash work all on it's own? Forgive me as I know almost nothing about the second generation computerized stuff. Thanks.

If I may just ask a quick question here on the subject? I'd like to know if you need a Power Commander installed in order to have the ECU Flashed, or does the Flash work all on it's own? Forgive me as I know almost nothing about the second generation computerized stuff. Thanks.

Ivans flash requires a power commander. Some of the less popular flashes from other places do not require a power commander.

Good question Billy! I have many times thought of upgrading to a gen 2 and have thought I could just get a reflash and that would b it. Since my gen 1 is so sexy I think I will just hav to wait for the gen 3!

Thanks guys! I was always reading the ECU posts but I don't think it was ever addressed, or at least I never saw it written. I had figured that if I just needed a Flash, it might have been something I would consider but not if I also have to buy the PC as well. Just not in the budget.

Hi Guys,
THanks for the suggestions to get the ECU reflash. I would like ot do the flash but the concern is that I am currently in Japan. Sending the ECU back even by express will be a few weeks turnaround. I cant be without a bike that long :(

I figured the iginition module may be a good compromise until I get another ECU and send a replacement to Ivan to reflash.
So has anyone had any expreience with the ignition module?

Ivans flash requires a power commander. Some of the less popular flashes from other places do not require a power commander.

Is Ivan's flash the most popular? Really? How do you know? Unless you have sales data that is not an accurate statement. The only information you have is anecdotal information from the web.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Is Ivan's flash the most popular? Really? How do you know? Unless you have sales data that is not an accurate statement. The only information you have is anecdotal information from the web.

How about we narrow the focus of his statement to the 2 forums?

LOL, no I don't have sales data............. but members posting on this and the other forum stating they have a flash from Ivan out number the others by a vast amount. I'd say at least 8 to 1. So I'll correct my statement . Ivan's flash appears to be the most popular on the two FZ1 forums I visit ( from member feedback).

Last edited:
Well, my intentions were certainly not meant to start a big debate about who's Flash is better than the other, but only to find out about flashing without have a Power Commander installed. Not to mention that I didn't want to highjack Chiech65's thread so let's just forget about who's Flash is better and leave that for another day, shall we? Thanks.

I just noticed in your sig, you're in the Bronx. You could take a ride up to his shop. I had him work on both my FZ1 and my Raider. Its a hike for me but well worth it.

I just noticed in your sig, you're in the Bronx. You could take a ride up to his shop. I had him work on both my FZ1 and my Raider. Its a hike for me but well worth it.

Yep, Ivan has done work on both the GenI and the YZF. He's about 30 minutes from me. I've been up there a few times before. He has jetted both my prior bikes for me. I wouldn't take my bikes to anyone else.

Yep, Ivan has done work on both the GenI and the YZF. He's about 30 minutes from me. I've been up there a few times before. He has jetted both my prior bikes for me. I wouldn't take my bikes to anyone else.

Considering your so close to Ivan and like his past work, I'd really consider his flash and the power commander. If budget is the issue you could always get the PCV now and add the flash later. I've come to value the opinions of a few guys on the forums after a few years you get an idea of who the sharp cookies are. 2 of those guys have Ivans flash and have nothing but praise for it.

Back