Ignition Module Tuning

Hello All,
I recently just added a PCV to my bike and I am very happy with it. Makes riding the bike much more enjoyable. I am now considering getting an ignition module since I have read it helps with the mpg and the bike will run cooler. Before I make the purchase I was hoping for some people that had one to answer some questions.

How much cooler does the bike run? Will it reduce the hot seat?
How much improvement if any on MPG?

I did not see any specific maps for the ignition module do you just plug and play and the maps we load have revised ignition timing? How do you best tune it for the map I am running?

The ign module did not help my hot seat issue at all, bike does run a little cooler, maybe 10F. Your better off trying to insulate the under seat/tank area for the hot seat issue.

No noticeable increase in mileage ( but I don't record mileage ) Doubt you're going to see more than a 2 or 3 mpg increase if any.

The bike does run a tad smoother and it added a little grunt and throttle response.

Honestly if I was not using the Ign Module as a kill for my quick-shifter I would say its not worth it.

I'll be adding Ivans Flash at some point, just being lazy

Call him. I can't speak specifically for the FZ1 but if you don't need a fuel manager now, I'm not sure why you'd need one after the flash.

Okay Ken, gonna make the call now and report back.

Update: Yes, you do need the PCIII or 5 for Ivan's Flash. Just for everyone's information.

Last edited:
Call him. I can't speak specifically for the FZ1 but if you don't need a fuel manager now, I'm not sure why you'd need one after the flash.

Ivans flash changes the ignition timing and opening rate of the secondary butterflies , among other things. The fueling has to match those changes and that is done with the power commander. Opening the flies at different times and rates will change airflow to the engine. Change the air and you have to change the fueling to match.

Just spoke to him and got a bunch of info on the subject. That's the nice thing about calling him. He never minds you picking his brain or asking questions. Well, I know what I will do in the event I decide to get it done.

Thanks for the update. Makes sense with the secondaries now. With the 1900, a tuner isn 't necessarily required-no secondaries.

Back