If not another fz1???

Fz1fighter

Hey all, My bike was stolen a 8 weeks ago and insurance has finally paid up and I'm in need of some opinions.

I was wondering, if you were in my shoes would you replace your fz1 with another or would you buy something else? Why?
Max budget of 9-11k Aussie dollars.

Here is a list of contenders-
08+ Fz1n plus mods later
CBR893/919 resto/mod project
Late 80's gsxr 1100 resto project
CBR954 thrash/learn to stunt
CBR600 f4i thrash/learn to stunt
K5-k8 GSXR1000 streetfighter
Hayabusa streetfighter (just for the torque)

Cheers

Sorry to hear your bike was stolen but at least you have the cash to go shopping now :)

For your price range I'd be looking at:

Triumph Speed Triple
KTM 950 Supermoto (regret selling mine, awesome bike!)
Aprilia Tuono
Yamaha MT09
Honda CB1000R
Suzuki B-King

So many choices!

Getting your bike stolen sux but now comes the fun part, deciding which new bike to buy.

I would buy a MT09 for the money your looking at, they wheelie plenty easy too if stunting is your thing :)

I rode an mt09 it didn't quite "fit" me. I'm 6'3, 115kg lol. And I'm not really "into" stunting as such, it would just be really nice to have a bike with some nice crash protection (proper crash cage) so that I can pretty much be as stupid as I want <80km/h and not write the bloody thing off.
The CB1000r and the speed triple apparently aren't as receptive to engine mods as the fz1, 135rwhp Max so I'm told.

I'm liking the idea of a bit of a project, so maybe a streetfighter build is the better option!!!
Mmm maybe a Big Bang r1 similar to the one in the pic. Only issue with that is the initial purchase price will consume the budget entirely

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 71
Last year I had to dump my 2009 FZ1 resulting in a decision. For me it was a bit easier but I did look at all options and nothing appealed to me or gave me that WOW factor over the FZ1... I was in a great position where they did not total the bike, it was fixable and it already was modded almost to the max. None of the important mods were hurt in the crash so it was easy for me to buy a 2013, move all the mods that were not hurt to the new bike, then fix the old one and sell it off.

I ended up making just over $2,650.00 (USD) profit from that messy situation. I had a rider on my insurance for the mods for up to $5k. If not for that, they would have totaled the bike but they did not. They paid me $6,842.00 for the repairs. (part of that was the frame had a small dent from the brake pedal hitting it so that was included in the repairs but far from necessary). I had to buy a new jacket and helmet. That was $465.00. I fixed and sold the 2009 bike for $5,200.00 after putting $400 in new parts on it. I spent $500 on replacing some mods that were damaged and I wanted back. It was not a pleasant experience, it cost me almost a month of riding in what is a very short season here but in the end, it became a new bike with stage IV mods, some new gear and a good chunk of change in my pocket.

My opinion is for you to look at what you lost and then look at your list. If one of those gives you the eye-opening WOW look, go for it, otherwise, get the FZ1 and mod it up. You cannot go wrong with any FZ1.

all depends on how you want to ride. those are all good choices for a specific purpose but all around would suck at certain things too. do you want a commuter, tourer, track bike, stunt bike, weekend warrior etc, that would be the determining factor in what i'd recommend.

08+ Fz1n plus mods later - great choice, jack of all trades, doesn't do anything great but does everything good enough.

CBR893/919 resto/mod project - old. gotta replace a lot. lotsa troubleshooting. ehhh....unless you like projects and are good at diagnosing and fixing stuff...maybe?

Late 80's gsxr 1100 resto project - pita honestly. had an 86 gsx1100es and it was fun but broke down a lot. comfortable street/touring bike.

CBR954 thrash/learn to stunt - fair enough but why not go old 6 for less $? dunno about aussi market so, dunno.

CBR600 f4i thrash/learn to stunt - better choice if stunt is what you wanna do. you're gonna break stuff

K5-k8 GSXR1000 streetfighter - depends on what you wanna do with it. k5-6 gsxr1k was top end rocket, k7-k8 gsxr1k was, for about 6 years, best out of the box bike to take racing on the market and even today is competitive at club levels. also the best looking gsxr ever made so, streetfighter would be sad. owned an 07 1k, it was amazing. pretty comfortable on the street but not the best, amazing on track.

Hayabusa streetfighter (just for the torque) - depends on your ride style. theres a LOT of plastics on that beast, getting it good looking sf is difficult, lotsa crap behind those plastics. big ass heavy bike, fun to ride for street and touring. not track.

That sucks your bike was stolen, A guy near me had his FZ1 pinched from his driveway a few years ago. He was in Mitchell Park (Near Marion). Where about in SA are you?

Peter Steven's have a brand new FZ1 in black in there showroom discounted (can't remember what down to) but if you bought that you'd have to deal with them (I haven't heard too many good stories from family and friends that have dealt with them).

I must admit, if I lost my FZ1 I'd be tempted by the new Suzuki naked 1000, but that'd be out of your price range.

I hope the lowlife who took the bike get's a nice dose of bike Karma.

Good luck with your search for new wheels.

Back