I swear, this doesn't get any better.

It wasn't caused from the ground, it was caused from the pipe rubbing the swingarm. I doubt it's done enough damage to comprimise the welds.

I have never heard of totalling something out then rebuying it?

It wasn't caused from the ground, it was caused from the pipe rubbing the swingarm. I doubt it's done enough damage to comprimise the welds.

I have never heard of totalling something out then rebuying it?

Yeah, you can buy back a total loss. I'm just not sure of how the title will read once thats done. In all honesty, my welds as you can see is exactly the same as your damage, and I have no problems at all. I did the damage myself so there is no recourse but to go buy a swingarm on my own. Your bike however was damaged by another party who in my opinion, had no right to ride the bike in the first place. In your case I would explore all my options.

I had a knock off can that was ghettoed fitted and caused rubbing in a similar fashion. I've since ditched the can and ride to this day with similar scuffs.

as everyone else said....make 'em replace it....

FWIW.....you buy back a bike that has been "totaled" by the insurance company, I think classifies it as a salvage title.....lets the buyer beware that things are not exactly "original"....

We'll see if that's an option. If so, I'll probably do it. I'm keeping the bike till it's dead, at which point, I'll give it to my wife. (Maybe a few miles before.)

Muwhahahaha.

polish it

Have them polish the whole swing arm. It would look great,, get rid of the scratches and be an easy out for them. Win Win. Aluminum is easy to make look really nice.

It's too bad that it's taking so long to get your bike back on the road but one thing to remember is once a machine has been in a crash it's never going to be absolutely the same as it was when it let the factory and anyone who says this isn't true never worked repairing vehicles. There are always unseen parts or clearance isues that go unchecked and unreapired. As for the swingarm, as I recall, you went down on the right side, correct? If so, it has to be the muffler that got shoved towards the swingarm, not the swingarm towards the muffler, that would more than likely be the case if you went down on the left side. And as far as the weld goes, if you know welding, it's the section of the weld that is below the surface that gives the weld strength, not what's above the surface, and as you said, I'm sure that can be filed and buffed back to a "can't be seen" condition. In the end, it is you who has to make the determination on whether to accept a totalled bike and take the cash and buy something else, but it will cost you more money in the end. If the bike looks good and rides well, It probably is OK. One last note: now you know what a crash really costs beyond what is seen in the degredation of the vehicle.

Back