I swear, this doesn't get any better.

Picked the bike up from the shop. Still waiting on a brake pedal, but couldn't resist the urge to ride. Road side fixed the brake pedal.

Also waiting on my new pipe, but that's no biggy.

But, today, inspecting the bike, I found this:
http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae209/Timebombaz/011.jpg

Also, it's making a horrible noise when the rear suspension is compressed. Called the shop owner, who let me add has been AWESOME to me, and let him know. He reassured me that everything is okay, and he'll fix anything that we didn't notice that was wrong. But still, RAWR. Annoying!
012.flv video by Timebombaz - Photobucket

The sound isn't great, you'll have to turn up your volume. It sounds like metal grinding against each other.

Any ideas why the centerstand would be hitting the mid pipe? What about the noise?

The centerstand is missing the rubber stopper that holds it off the exhaust...it's about an inch in diameter, and 3/4 of an inch tall... you're sure that the centerstand rubbing on the exhaust isn't the cause of the noise right?

I'll see what I can do tomorrow. It's almost a grinding noise. Freaking me the F out. Bringing it back tomorrow and we're going to throw it on the lift.

Good to know all I am missing is a rubber bumper on the center stand.

it's theoretically possible that it could be the swingarm bearings making noise... or the shock linkage.... the shock linkage is easy to isolate... hose it down with WD-40... the swingarm bearings... it's a little harder to see if that's the problem... but just out of curiosity... grab the swingarm while the bike is on the centerstand.. rock it back and forth and up and down... see if it moves in the bearings... there should be ZERO play in the swingarm bearings.

Aftermarket exhaust? The rubber stopper is moved from the center stand to a new location where the center stand will rest on the stopper but this was on the Two Bros.

Good deal 'inNH. I am getting the new can today, so he can fix that while we are doing it.

Also, while setting up my suspension, I found where the noise is coming from. It looks like the passenger peg mount thing got tweeked in a bit, the one that holds the can. It's the can rubbing against the swing arm. It's scared the swing arm up a good deal, I'll show you guys when I get down there with a camera.

Good deal 'inNH. I am getting the new can today, so he can fix that while we are doing it.

Also, while setting up my suspension, I found where the noise is coming from. It looks like the passenger peg mount thing got tweeked in a bit, the one that holds the can. It's the can rubbing against the swing arm. It's scared the swing arm up a good deal, I'll show you guys when I get down there with a camera.

It looks like they owe you a new swingarm as well then bud. It's funny you said that because I had a tip-over when I first got the bike. My son was sitting on it parked, messing around. I had my back turned away for just a moment and when I turned around, the bike is on the floor. My son was okay, but a month later, we were up on the mountain and Tony noticed the gouge in the swingarm as well which I never noticed. It was due to the same thing, the can touching the swingarm with two aboard the bike.

Here's a shot of the swingarm after the damage.

Swingarm.jpg

whew.... that shop is lucky that you didn't call your insurance company.... speaking from experience, frame damage = totalled(as far as the insurance company is concerned). Swingarm = frame.

Do you guys think I should ask for the swingarm to be replaced? I'm unsure how the shop and insurance company will react.

Here is a picture of the damage. I just went out there and pulled on the can a bit and it's not touching anymore.

001.jpg

I wouldn't worry about what the shop or insurance has to say... if it wasn't like that when you dropped it off... it gets replaced....

Structurally, it **most likely** won't make a difference.

But.. if this were my bike... you'd better believe that swingarm is getting replaced.

Are you kidding?! Thats right on the weld point! Definitely tell them to replace it. I'm surprised they missed that on the initial inspection. It's exactly the same place on mine. I'd be down there first thing. You brought them a perfect bike and you should go home with a perfect bike! End of story.

Talked to the insurance company. They have already spent 4,500 in repairs, labor, and rental. They said this might tip the edge to "Total Loss."

I DO not want this to happen if I don't have to. She is sending out an appraiser and we'll go from there.

If total loss is the only option, where do I go from there?

I'd take the total loss, have them cut a check and ask what the buy back is for the totalled machine. If it is reasonable, buy it, and then ebay or Ronayers a swingarm with the other items and put it back together.

Either that or take the money and go get a leftover Gen II for as cheap as possible.

Damned shame considering the bike when you got it... Not sure I'd be able to "get over it" at all. You're handling this a ton better than I would have.

Still sorry to see you go through this. It pains me.... for you.

Is that really that damaged?? I know it looks bad, but with a little buffing... that doesn't look structurally unsound.

It's a bummer too... but I'm just thinking, is it worth losing the bike over?? I really don't think that's hurting anything other than it's there and looks a little off...

The weld doesn't look compromised, but I'm only looking at 2-D low-res pics too.

I'm just sayin'....

Back