I Know This Will Shock Some But...........

I, myself, can hardly wait until Saturday ! I will meet up with Billy then, and get my first look at his shiny, black, masterpiece. I have followed his many, many threads (on this very forum) and read his many posts thru the last couple of years, and I got to thinking about the hundreds of man-hours he and many of his friends have invested in his 'baby'. I also began totalling up all the new and unusual parts he has so carefully installed, and, well, I still can't hardly believe it. Ooh,, , Those ANGEL EYES are killer !! The 'black' Gen-1 FZ's have a certain 'snarl' to them anyway when viewing from the front, then, to put in the halo's. Wow ! really makes a statement IMHO. I know that everytime I do my pre-ride walk-a-round, gently tickle the starter, and then carefully ease into the day's riding that, first and formost, - it will always be Billy's Bike !! Don't you worry Billy, I'll be gentle and, yes, I have a nice warm heated garage for her to rest in too.
See you Saturday.

HOME WRECKER!:jk:

Re: Sold !!

Hey Guys, I'm in fact in the door and collapsed on the floor. Here are some stats on the trip to the Bronx:
Total miles drivien: 1,625.0 (yes, it actually came out even on my Garmin GPS thingy, I even took a pic of it just for good measure)

Total trip time: 29 hours, seven minutes

Overall average speed: 56 mph (due to many areas of lane restrictions, closures,etc)

Moving time: 25 hours, 50 min.

Stopped time: 3 hours, 17 min.

Ave. MPG: 16

Ave. time spent gawking at the sights of NYC: HOURS !

WHEW !! Great time ! Great trip !! After finally getting to meet them, Billy and son Richie showed me around the place, answered all of my silly questions about NYC life, and really put my inner fears (of big city living) to rest. The FAZER looked great. After hearing it run and checking her over, they loaded the bike for me, and gave me great directions both in, and, out. They really did just make the whole process most enjoyable. Ooh, and, thanks for all the extra goodies too !
That Richie, he is one nice young man. Handsome and polite. Good to help too. In fact, I didn't have to do anything except park where they told me, hold what they said to hold, and put these together for when you leave, and that was fine with me. I was alittle tired but, I did manage to get some rest before they got home. Even met the neighbors Friday afternoon.
And that DUKE !! What a case !! What a buddy !! Duke does not know a stranger ! If I could've got him alone for a minute, I would have snuck him out the door and had him hidden in the truck with me for the long ride home . . .heh,heh
Would I do the trip again ?? You bet ! Would I buy another FZ from him ? Absolutely. In fact, I had so much fun on this trip, I'm thinking that I just might show up at his place this next weekend just to visit with him and Richie and of course Duke, and also just to hang out for the block party he is throwing!! I just love brats on the grill . . . yum, yum, yum,,,, what? I'm supposed to bring how much beer ???
PS: I sure would it appreciate it if you could send me those pics Richie took of us, thanks pal !!

I'm so glad you made it home safe and sound. We also enjoyed having you here, even if it was for only an hour or so. You have an open invitation here anytime you want to drop by buddy. Duke had a blast also as he rarely sees anyone but me and Richie. Once we got back upstairs, he was still at the door waiting for you to come upstairs! We appreciate your hospitality and can't wait to hear about your first ride and seeing some shots of your stable now with the FZ1 in the picture. As for our shots of yesterday's events, they are already posted in this thread on Page 2. Take care, get some rest, and we'll talk soon. Remember that if you have any questions you can call me any time for answers.;)

Ahhh, there are the latest pictures. Just as you said. Nice. Very, very, nice. The twins I mean. Billy and Me, ,, , we look great eh? !

Now, I'm off to surf the web in search of the elusive GoPro-HD. You see, I've got these neat, little, GP camera mounts already in place, and no GoPro. Mmhhhh.

Oh yeah, I did have on a Harley Davidson sweatshirt in the pics. It smells like old motor oil and does a nice job of wiping down the other bikes. You know, soft, faded. Like me . . . .:hook2:

Good luck with the bike Pilot, Im sure you will have lots of enjoyment. Billy was one above the rest in his maintinence.
Post up some pics of your first ride.

Oh And i loved the "Home Wrecker" comment! Classic.lol

Billy sorry she had to go. I know how much she meant to you.
It showed in how much you cared for her. It appears she is in good hands.
When your ready Im sure youll find another gem like the one you just had.

Good luck with the bike Pilot, Im sure you will have lots of enjoyment. Billy was one above the rest in his maintinence.
Post up some pics of your first ride.

Oh And i loved the "Home Wrecker" comment! Classic.lol

Billy sorry she had to go. I know how much she meant to you.
It showed in how much you cared for her. It appears she is in good hands.
When your ready Im sure youll find another gem like the one you just had.

Thanks buddy. Hey, if I wind up meeting Johnny over in Millville next Saturday for his trackday, it would be a real blast if you could show up. Please think about it even if for a couple of hours. It would be nice to see you.

Took these after arriving home about noon or so. Both the Dodge PU and the newest addition-FAZER got quite 'dusty' on the 800+ mi. overland trip today !
After unloading her I did warm up the engine, throw a leg over, and gave the ole girl a proper shakedown ride. We had FUN !! Lots of open roads out here where I live, and the traffic is always light on the weekends. The weather was perfect today too. All the better.
First impression of the ole girl: SOLID, WELL cared for in fit and finish, perhaps somewhat louder than my previous FZ (but I like note), the seat is slightly taller than previous (no problem tho), and the most notable impression is the lack of 'pin your ears back',' rip your face off', rush of mind blowing acceleration. The near normal "stock" gearing is the culprit. My previous FZ had the -1 and +3 ratio. This is a huge advantage for these bikes! My previous FZ1 would lift the wheel in the first 2-gears on demand. Just gas it and go. Wheelies in third were also possible with the slightest of tug. Care had to be taken when gassing it coming out of the corners in the twisty's as power wheelies were pretty much garranteed. I guess I got used to that and this winter I'll drop the front down one for sure and I might try the plus 1 on it now for awhile. I can go with the +3 rear later if need be. Of course that means a Speedohealer will be next ! Is there no end to the mods?? eh??
BTW, my first FZ only got 32 to 35 mpg, and it had a definite buzz at normal cruising speeds. It also only got about 3K mi out of the rear tire so there is the usual trade off with this type of gearing installed. But it sure promotes the 'brute' in them and wow , , it really wakes them up !! Also, in the last pic I'm taking a short break before pushing 'er back into her parking spot next to (do I dare say it), the HARLEY! lol !!!

I didn't know you were such an "adreneline junkie"! Haha! The good thing is that sprockets are very inexpensive. I changed the rear 1 tooth so that I could cruise through the mountains here effortlessly in third gear, yet maintain an operable RPM on the highway. Even with the tooth change I still averaged over 40mpg at normal riding. That being said, you have to tweak her a bit to make her "your own" now. I'm just really happy and hope that your satisfied with the bike. I'm glad you had time to take her for a spin and I'm curious as to whether your comfortable with the GenII handlebars or will you be picking up a GenI set to swap out?

Yeah I have always pushed the envelope. Sometimes I get carried away in the process. (ouch). . . I am going to try your +1 for a fair amount of time and see if I can adjust to it. The bike is PLENTY fast. It runs great. Power is there. Only knowing what I had in the previous bike's set-up, (already done by the prev. owner) that's what I tend to compare to. I would really rather get used to your set up. BETTER fuel mileage and probably fewer reckless riding tickets for sure. heh,heh
I really LIKE the raspier note of the YOSH pipe over what I had. It really GROWLS above 8K rpm's. Sounds mean and sounds mighty nasty !! I bet it can be heard many blocks away too. Dare I say, like the way a HARLEY's sound can travel? As for the Gen-2 bars you put on, , , , I think I LIKE them ! No plans to change them out. They are wide, solid feeling, and vibration free too. NO buzzz. Mmhhhhhhh SWEET . . . .
The tires--- I didn't get to scope them out yet. Only did a couple of passes to 120 mph or so. Straight runs with slow easy corners today. They got very warm, but not hot to the touch, and weren't sticky yet either. I'll probably like them too. Don't get me started on them Dunflops though. That's for a another day !

Yeah I have always pushed the envelope. Sometimes I get carried away in the process. (ouch). . . I am going to try your +1 for a fair amount of time and see if I can adjust to it. The bike is PLENTY fast. It runs great. Power is there. Only knowing what I had in the previous bike's set-up, (already done by the prev. owner) that's what I tend to compare to. I would really rather get used to your set up. BETTER fuel mileage and probably fewer reckless riding tickets for sure. heh,heh
I really LIKE the raspier note of the YOSH pipe over what I had. It really GROWLS above 8K rpm's. Sounds mean and sounds mighty nasty !! I bet it can be heard many blocks away too. Dare I say, like the way a HARLEY's sound can travel? As for the Gen-2 bars you put on, , , , I think I LIKE them ! No plans to change them out. They are wide, solid feeling, and vibration free too. NO buzzz. Mmhhhhhhh SWEET . . . .
The tires--- I didn't get to scope them out yet. Only did a couple of passes to 120 mph or so. Straight runs with slow easy corners today. They got very warm, but not hot to the touch, and weren't sticky yet either. I'll probably like them too. Don't get me started on them Dunflops though. That's for a another day !

Good to hear. Yeah, I don't know what tires your used to running, but I loved those 023's so far. They are quiet, track pretty darn good through the corners, and have excellent grip. I had just come off the 016's which everyone loves but I couldn't afford to be buying tires 2 or 3 times a season. That's why I went to the "sport touring" tires. If I remember correctly, that set has probably just under 1,700 miles on them now. They should last for a good while............but then again, with you riding them.......maybe not! Haha!! Ride safe my friend and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

That's most excellent to know. I have not been on the Bridgstones' before now and will be happy to try them out. I got used to the SHINKO 009's that came on my first FZ and while they were ok, , , , I wouldn't buy them as replacements. They tended to slip or sometimes the rear would step out when deep in the corner. On one ride with typo31, over in Illinois, the rear stepped out on me, typo (behind me) saw it and backed off giving me more room. I guess he was just waiting to see if I could contain it thru the corner. I backed off after that, myself. We enjoyed a hamburger at the famous Moonshine Dinner, in Moonshine, IL. pop -- 2 That's right, 2 people ! heh,heh
I tried to get typo to ride my FZ with the -1, +3 gearing while we were riding the straight, flat roads so common in Illinois. He saw how well the bike performed, and how well in launched when exiting the corners. While he declined to try it out then, I noticed that he later lowered the gearing on his Gen-2 before he sold it this spring !

I hope you took advantage of the nice weather today and got a ride in. I'm a licensed Ham and actually spoke to a station in Rushville, IN this morning on 10 meters and he told me that it was supposed to be sunny and in the upper 70's. Not sure how far you are from there but I hope you had good weather as well.

I did take advantage of the fine, fall day we have going. Rushville, IN is about 100 miles southeast of me. We have had some gorgeous weather the past 2-weeks ! I sure hope it continues. More riding time ! heh,heh,
I was wondering, do you still have to know morse code to be a ham operator these days ? I have a motorcycle/city policeman buddy that still knows his morse code ! He is always talking to someone far, far, away, but I can't remember what meter band he uses.
I sure hope you can get another motorcycle in the very near future. I know what having something with two wheels means to you.
Say, Yaknow,I've got this really nice, low mileage, Anniversary VROD I'll sell to you. It's comfort. It's noise. It's collectable. And, , , , It's you ! Yes, yes, If you buy it, I'll get some of that money back that I just handed over ?? heh,heh
Ok, I'm going out now and enjoy some more of this fine, fall weather . . .

These days the FCC did away with the "code" and made it so newly licensed Techs can get on the air quickly. I know about half the code and am always trying to learn more of it. Although I am a "no code" tech, I do believe that it keeps the same "rif-raf" that ruined the citizen's band, out of amateur radio. It sucks because the older I get, the harder I find it to learn and retain. I still use my practice keyer and have tapes to teach you but it's tough. I'd like to learn it, regardless whether it's manditory or not. Presently I'm studying for the General Class License which will get me on 20 and 40 meters where all the action is! Anyway, have fun out there and enjoy the weather!:D

That's most excellent to know. I have not been on the Bridgstones' before now and will be happy to try them out. I got used to the SHINKO 009's that came on my first FZ and while they were ok, , , , I wouldn't buy them as replacements. They tended to slip or sometimes the rear would step out when deep in the corner. On one ride with typo31, over in Illinois, the rear stepped out on me, typo (behind me) saw it and backed off giving me more room. I guess he was just waiting to see if I could contain it thru the corner. I backed off after that, myself. We enjoyed a hamburger at the famous Moonshine Dinner, in Moonshine, IL. pop -- 2 That's right, 2 people ! heh,heh
I tried to get typo to ride my FZ with the -1, +3 gearing while we were riding the straight, flat roads so common in Illinois. He saw how well the bike performed, and how well in launched when exiting the corners. While he declined to try it out then, I noticed that he later lowered the gearing on his Gen-2 before he sold it this spring !

Man, I almost went on that Moonshine diner ride....wish I had now.

Took these after arriving home about noon or so. Both the Dodge PU and the newest addition-FAZER got quite 'dusty' on the 800+ mi. overland trip today !
After unloading her I did warm up the engine, throw a leg over, and gave the ole girl a proper shakedown ride. We had FUN !! Lots of open roads out here where I live, and the traffic is always light on the weekends. The weather was perfect today too. All the better.
First impression of the ole girl: SOLID, WELL cared for in fit and finish, perhaps somewhat louder than my previous FZ (but I like note), the seat is slightly taller than previous (no problem tho), and the most notable impression is the lack of 'pin your ears back',' rip your face off', rush of mind blowing acceleration. The near normal "stock" gearing is the culprit. My previous FZ had the -1 and +3 ratio. This is a huge advantage for these bikes! My previous FZ1 would lift the wheel in the first 2-gears on demand. Just gas it and go. Wheelies in third were also possible with the slightest of tug. Care had to be taken when gassing it coming out of the corners in the twisty's as power wheelies were pretty much garranteed. I guess I got used to that and this winter I'll drop the front down one for sure and I might try the plus 1 on it now for awhile. I can go with the +3 rear later if need be. Of course that means a Speedohealer will be next ! Is there no end to the mods?? eh??
BTW, my first FZ only got 32 to 35 mpg, and it had a definite buzz at normal cruising speeds. It also only got about 3K mi out of the rear tire so there is the usual trade off with this type of gearing installed. But it sure promotes the 'brute' in them and wow , , it really wakes them up !! Also, in the last pic I'm taking a short break before pushing 'er back into her parking spot next to (do I dare say it), the HARLEY! lol !!!

Wow, great looking bike...glad your trip and transaction went well for all parties. Nice to see class act people. Hey, I have a speedo healer, some gearings, and chain, cables etc....from the previous owner of my bike...not sure of particulars...he changed them, then changed it back for the very reason you mentioned. Didn't care for the ease of front rise. Let me know if you are and I'll check and see what the stuff is in particular...

Stay safe you all.

RE: Gearing/change

Hey dhicks01 !! You bet I would be interested in those extra parts. Send me a list of the goodies please. I am addicted to the meaty powerband that the lower ratio's provide. And thanks, for the kind comments. Billy is a class act for sure. He and Richie invited me to sleep-over at their place and in hind-sight, I should have. I got caught in the I-80 construction stoppage at the 256 mile marker on the way home ! I sat there for over and hour and a half. Creeping along, stopping, creeping along, stopping and so on while some cars were driving on the emergency lane right on past us !

Back