Hump or no-Hump on jacket?

I'm looking at leather gear for primarily street riding. Some with, some without aerodynamic hump. Significant advantage, or not?

Mostly for aerodynamics vs. without it?

Or also more protection provided with hump than other?

That is, is the hump only for aerodynamics?

I ask because I have my eye on a perforated leather jacket (Dainese) that has all the protection, except there is no hump. My question really pertains to making sure I have the most protection.

I have also identified a perforated leather jacket (Alpinestars) that does have the hump. The descriptions list the hump being for better aerodynamics, and do not specify it is for protection (because there is other language for the back protector, pad etc).

I'm leaning toward the Dainese jacket, but........

Humps are for camels!!:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] Seriously, you are riding a naked bike and sitting relatively upright......the hump will not help your aero dynamics. Moreover, the humps are great for Stoner and Rossi on the race track, but for street use you will not get the benefit as you aren't riding at 200km/h (in theory).

I have one jacket with a hump and one with out and I don't notice any difference at all. only time I notice the hump is when I want to wear a back pack... then it's in the way.

Humps are for camels!!:th_smiley_rotfl2[1] Seriously, you are riding a naked bike and sitting relatively upright......the hump will not help your aero dynamics. Moreover, the humps are great for Stoner and Rossi on the race track, but for street use you will not get the benefit as you aren't riding at 200km/h (in theory).

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. But then I asked because, a guy in a store claimed that the hump was also for protection. I was surprised to hear him say that, because I had'nt heard that before or read it that way. Maybe he was trying to make a bigger sale?

I have one jacket with a hump and one with out and I don't notice any difference at all. only time I notice the hump is when I want to wear a back pack... then it's in the way.

Yeah, it was a little awkard trying on and thinking about possibility. So, there is no protective advantage as you see it?

That's along the lines of what I was thinking. But then I asked because, a guy in a store claimed that the hump was also for protection. I was surprised to hear him say that, because I had'nt heard that before or read it that way. Maybe he was trying to make a bigger sale?

A salesman will tell you WHATEVER he thinks you want to hear.

My buddy has a set of Spidi track leathers with a hump that holds a hydroback. Nice for putting ice in on hot days.

spidi_t2_wind_pro_leather_suit_black_white-5.jpg

^^^ Pretty cool huh? from what I understand I can take the foam out the hump on my Dainese's and put in a Camelback bladder. I've no idea how I'd use it however.

Yeah, it was a little awkard trying on and thinking about possibility. So, there is no protective advantage as you see it?

I'm pretty sure that it offers no added protection in a crash, well I've never herd of a hump offering more protection and since I haven't slid down the road in this jacket yet... touch wood (knocks self on skull) I can't say weather it does or does not. If I was out buying a new jacket today the only thing that would compel me to buy one with a hump would be if it had a zipper and storage room inside but other than that for street use the hump is really for "looks" and not much else.

A hump does as much good as putting carbon fiber bits on the bike .... looks cool but does nothing functionally. No bike at legal speed is going to be helped. It's just a poseur thing, get it if you like the look for the rest of the jacket. Personally I think they look odd on street rides, sometimes you can just overdo it.

Back