How have your performance mods affected your MPG?

Negatively. My MPG went down. I now only squeeze out 32/33 MPG and I ride just as aggressively as before my TB slip-on. Prior to the install I was 39-41 MPG

I like a quiet exhaust, but I also value gas mileage, so I borrowed a slip-on. Checked gas mileage over a period of time, and could not tell that it either helped or hurt the mileage. This experiment was with no other changes made.

My mileage is roughly the same as before the mods. The difference is that it is easier to ride it harder after all the mods, therefore my mileage is reflective of this. I get the same or better mileage 2-up with luggage as I did before engine mods.

My mods that effect MPG are cut air box, BMC filter, Ixil slip-on, PC3, FCE, small flies and 16 tooth front sprocket.

Last edited:
I *think* I'm getting around 35 mpg (UK)... So far that's with a micron slip-on, & pipercross air filter... very soon going to cut the air box, gut the cat and install a PC3 + o2 eliminator

a nice loud exhaust note begs me to ride it a little harder, so that's probably why I've noticed a slight drop in economy

I get no better than 35 but I don't care about mileage! :) Anything is better than the F150 pickup I had whn I bought the bike.

Agreed :tup: My truck will only get 17, less in traffic. It seems like the fuel injected FZ1 models get better mileage. On the street my 02 always gets 30-35mpg, this is with aggressive riding (as it should be :D).

Im driving 80% highway right now and with a TB slip-on, FCE, and airbox mod I'm getting about 47 mpg. Im pretty easy on the throttle tho.

Matt

About 40mpg maybe 45 on highway. I think the biggest hit is the -2/+4 sprockets. Have a slip on, air eliminator and stage 3 jet kit as well. At seventy five I sit at about 6000-6500rpm.

I'm sure with a stock gear set id easily see 50mpg but I love the acceleration too much.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

I get better mpg after I mod all my bikes.
06 got 35-40
zx14 got 51 then 58mpg with the turbo off boost and it got 4mpg on 16psi
my brothers 2012 zx14r got 35-40 before mods and it gets 50+ nfully modded.

So whats in the fuel our American cousins use to give such good mileage ?

40-45mpg (US gallon) equats to 48-54mpg (UK gallon)

I've not had my 2nd gen Fazer for long best I've had so far 43mpg (UK), I've PC3, slip on, IVAN butterflys, BMS filter, Air box mod

So whats in the fuel our American cousins use to give such good mileage ?

40-45mpg (US gallon) equats to 48-54mpg (UK gallon)

I've not had my 2nd gen Fazer for long best I've had so far 43mpg (UK), I've PC3, slip on, IVAN butterflys, BMS filter, Air box mod

What speeds are you allowed to travel? Our speed limits generally suit the best mpg per gear I've noticed.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

I've heard we have tighter emission controls in the eurozone compared to the US. Perhaps Yamaha has to play with the ECU's to achieve this? That may help explain why our MPG is down, as I thought we had higher quality fuel in the UK!

What speeds are you allowed to travel? Our speed limits generally suit the best mpg per gear I've noticed.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Here in the UK
towns 30
Town dual carriage ways (2 lanes each direction) 50

out of town single carriage way 60

Motorways 70

So not too different from the States

I've heard we have tighter emission controls in the eurozone compared to the US. Perhaps Yamaha has to play with the ECU's to achieve this? That may help explain why our MPG is down, as I thought we had higher quality fuel in the UK!

I'd had thought tighter emmission control would lead to better MPG as power would be down and with the general better quality of fuel we have theres more bang to the gallon from an energy point of view.

its a weird one ,, my fz would only make 35 mpg when i first bought her , i was very disappointed as my previous busa would return 50mpg no prob , after a good service with oem parts ,im 48 mpg most of the time :cheerleader:

Y'all need to keep in mind that a US gallon is about 3.7 liters while an imperial gallon (UK, Canada, elsewhere?) is a bit more than 4.5 liters. That makes a big difference in gas mileage calcs!

Back