holeshot header vs stanndard header

Me and my mate performanceave fz1s 06 and 07 both identical mod.
mods are pc5, plus pc 5 ignition module and quick shifter. Feul cut eliminator.ivan throttle plates.graves stacks.lars air box mod and filter. Decat.plus on mine holeshot down pipes hoping for that little edge lol.
his up first ran after set up 150.30 to the wheel plus 2 degrees advance on part throttled.
mine 147 the lower one on the graph .down every were power and grunt 73 his 77 .and would not take any timing advance.
got it home and swapped back to stanndard pipes and went for another dyno run same place same dyno.
as you see they just ran it back up and said no ajustment needed on af and was almost the same as my mates 150.26 very consist to all the mods.mine accepted ignition advance this time 2 dec lower part throttle.and 6 degrees higher up the rev range result. No gragh for that.
The bike with holeshot header needed to be revved harder and needed larger thottle opening to feel like it wanted to go.with standard pipes part throttle felt like a different bike.thats just my observation/opinion. And cost me lot time messing and money.i let u decide.
Bike now up tts performance for rotrex super charger;)

My arrow headers with micron GP slipon will be on the dyno on April 1. Can then compare it to stock and stock headers with a carbon slipon.

I would love to do this with a set of Yoshi headers. Top end might conceivably be down ( I doubt it) but the mid range is a massive improvement.

I would have gone yosh helped along by ivan, but I think you have to use there tail can , I wanted to use one that fitted the stanndard collar, lost interest now becuse as far as I can see yamaha seemed to do a fare job on the stanndard down pipe, going for guaranteed power now its tts blower time, hopfully my replacement frame will not go snap lol.

As mentioned the big gains from a quality header are not at the top end but in the mid range. Ivan's testings shows about a 10hp gain around 7.5k rpm for the Yosh full system compared to a slip on on a stock gutted header. Figure about 100hp at 7krpms compared to your buddy's bike which looks to be just a tick over 90. That's a pretty significant power gain right where the FZ is soft. Don't know about the holeshot header but the Akra and Arrow are supposedly pretty similar in performance; neither equaling the Yosh in the mid range.

Yamaha had to package the cat on the stock header and the collector pipes are too short for proper mid range performance.

Overall, you will seldom feel the benefits of a few HP at the top of the rev band. The midrange gains from the Yosh full system you can feel every time you ride . . .

Keep in mind that the lower gears on the GenII have power limited through ignition parameters. An ignition module can help some but you need to reflash to properly eliminate that part of the "castration" that Yamaha decided to build into the GenII. . . Don't know if you would have been happy if you had listened to Ivan and got the full Yosh along with his reflash and PC map, but your bike would certainly make significantly more power than your buddies, both on the dyno and in the real world . . .

Last edited:
I would have gone the yosh but as I said, you have to use there tail pipe and I had all ready spent 400 on the tail can I liked , never mind , if know one shows the dyno sheets how are you ment to know, on this set up now its runs crisp and pulls like a train.

Not sure I understand you. If you are asking to see some dyno charts showing the gains of a the full Yosh compared to a slip on on the stock header with cat gutted, I have attached one of Ivan's to this thread. Looks like the biggest difference is up to 7K rather than at 7.5k as I said earlier . . .

You could still probably sell your slipon to recoup some of the cost and go with the full system.

Overall the Yosh setup seems to be the performance choice. It is not as pretty as the Arrow headers and as you say, you can't attach a regular slip on to it. That mid range gain is hard to beat though . . . .If you think your bike runs sharp and pulls like a train now, you would be shocked at how much sharper and more powerful it would be with Ivan's full setup.

I was hoping for similar gains from the holeshots but it was not to be, and I think ivan is your man for fz1 testing going back now , I should have brought a branded more test item, never mind.
not going to spend on another set of pipes now,not worth it after fitting the charger.

I was hoping for similar gains from the holeshots but it was not to be, and I think ivan is your man for fz1 testing going back now , I should have brought a branded more test item, never mind.
not going to spend on another set of pipes now,not worth it after fitting the charger.

You say you fitted a super charger yet you haven't gone into any detail or shared any pics?? What the heck is wrong with you??:) How about sharing?

Its at tts performance near silverstone uk as we speak they have just done the head and clutch springs and made the charger housing I will put a post on very soon
should be fun.
they have pictures on there web site of it.few weeks it should be finished.

Here ya go.

Red line - Stock tune with carbon GYTR slip on and BMC airfilter
Blue line - tuned with above mods
green line - tuned for Arrow headers, Micron GP slipon and BMC airfilter.

*NOTE* Yesterday when it was on the Dyno it was 36*C air temp, less humid and less air pressure. Blue and green lines were at 21*C, more humidity and more air pressure. The Dyno said the difference between the two days was 3%, so add 3% onto the red line values to compare the red to the green and blue lines.

The arrow headers gave 5hp more top end and 1 hp more bottom end without the 3% adjustment added on. With the adjustment the bike is now over 150 hp top end.

The drop in torque between 4 - 4.5k rpm is slightly noticeable, not huge, but I can notice the difference. The gain down low below 4k is definitely noticeable, it pulls off the line like a beast now.

Attachments

• Arrow Tune.jpg
    Arrow Tune.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 108
Back