Hitting Neutral while Stopped....

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
OK, use the engine to brake when approaching a stoplight....don't think that is anything wrong. Anyway, if I'm stopped and say in 2nd, and I want to shift to neutral, so I can take my hands off the controls while waiting for the light, it will go into first and miss N.

If I try to shift up, same thing, misses neutral. Barley put any pressure to drop it back down and will not go.

Anyone got any ideas.....checked the linkage/tension on the clutch??

BroHay

('01 FZ1)

I usually also use my gearbox to decelerate. I'm not hard on it, but as I slow, I run back down through the gear range. So far I don't have any problems but I would also say that normally I'm in first when I go to neutral. I don't go second to neutral. I'm not sure how the cogs are set up in the FZ1 trans. it might not like a second to neutral transition. From time to time I'll miss a try for neutral and hit second though. Then, If I'm careful, I can tweak it into heutral with a "half" shift. I'd first make sure that when your clutch is pulled in it isn't dragging. That's about the best I can offer.

I want to shift to neutral, so I can take my hands off the controls while waiting for the light, it will go into first and miss N.

If I try to shift up, same thing, misses neutral. Barley put any pressure to drop it back down and will not go.

Anyone got any ideas.....checked the linkage/tension on the clutch??

BroHay

('01 FZ1)

I do not shift to neutral at a light. At least not till two or more cars are already stopped behind me. If you shift to neutral and hear the frightening sound of squealing tires or look in the rearview mirror and do not see the front end of the car dipping as the brakes are applied, you are helpless.
Keep it in gear.:sport12:

To clarify: I am talking about when I'm stopped at a light during the morning rush hour that will be anywhere from 1-2mins before I get to go (and I still might not make it through)

plenty of buffer from vehicles, I just don't want to sit holdin' the clutch while waiting to creep forward.

So I'm still looking for options.....

Brohay

To clarify: I am talking about when I'm stopped at a light during the morning rush hour that will be anywhere from 1-2mins before I get to go (and I still might not make it through)

plenty of buffer from vehicles, I just don't want to sit holdin' the clutch while waiting to creep forward.

So I'm still looking for options.....

Brohay

Now see there you go changing the situation on me. You are not playing fair!! :iamwithstupid: JK.
Bro, I know you have Gen I so do not know if they are the same. When I do shift into neutral i try to let out on the clutch just a bit as I do. As mentioned above it can be tricky.
What about just shutting it off? Again not always recommended, but may be an option.

sometimes it'll go right in and other times it is a PITA!! All the adjustments appear to be in spec and I'm wonderin' if I'm just seeing the signs of reachin' the end of the life for the clutch??

Not meaning to change the situation on ya.....but I got to keep ya on your toes...:poke:

Adam, I think there is an adjustment for that problem. I am going to look through my service manual right now to check. However, try rolling out the clutch just enough for it to start grabbing and then you should hit neutral. I'll get back in a few minutes. Billy.

It looks here to me that there are 11 different possible causes for difficulty finding gears, whether it be neutral or any other.

Incorrect clutch operation. (DUH)

Incorrect oil viscosity. (Did you change oils recently?)

Loose or damaged stopper arm assembly.

Loose stopper plate bolt.

Loose stopper plate and pin.

Bent shift fork shaft.

Bent or damaged shift fork(s).

Worn gear dogs or slots.

Damaged shift drum grooves.

Weak or damaged gearshift linkage springs.

Incorrect gearshift linkage installation.

There you go, take your pick. I love when these manuals are so precise and thorough. LOL being sarcastic.

I shift into nuetral all the time at lights. I have to be stopped to go from 2nd to N but alot of the time it shifts strait into 1st then I kick it up one. I does take a little clutch play to go from 2nd to N but goin up it shifts fine and takes about 1/2 the force of a normal gear shift. :sport12:

So, basically tear into it and replace everything to cover all the bases??

Oil viscosity -- use the same viscosity but it is Kawasaki brand (might that be the problem....? j/k) Due for an oil change, I'll see if things improve -- but I'm just over 2k...

Thanks for the input....I'll investigate further....

BroHay

I have a 2001 and dont have that issue, compared to my Suzuki this bike is easy to find or get into neutral....might have to run thru Billy's list sad to say.

Adam, before you go crazy and start tearing into the clutch, change the oil since you are due anyway and see how it goes. Then if your having the same issue, you can work your way down the checklist. I know that my bike does shift extremely better after I put new oil in the crankcase. By the way, how many miles do you have on that clutch?

I had an old SX650 twin that was a real pain finding neutral and I went to Golden Spectro oil. It made all the difference in the world in that department, so maybe an oil change would give you some relief. I's certainly cheaper and much easier than tearing into the clutch/trans.

My 05 was doing that "shift-to-N" motion with some difficulty until I changed oil the first time. I went with Mobil 1 synthetic 20-50 and the shifting improved vastly! I never thought that would affect shifting, but there was no question it improved immediately following the change! Good luck!
PB

My 05 was doing that "shift-to-N" motion with some difficulty until I changed oil the first time. I went with Mobil 1 synthetic 20-50 and the shifting improved vastly! I never thought that would affect shifting, but there was no question it improved immediately following the change! Good luck!
PB

I wonder if Adam is still having that issue. My opinion is that it very well may be time to change the oil. Also, check you chain tension. I just adjusted my chain two weeks ago, and while doing it, I didn't follow procedure by finding the tightest section first before making the adjustment. This resulted in a tight chain and subsequently, poor shifting. I had trouble with second gear both up and down. Last Sunday before our ride with Tony and Fred, I again cleaned and adjusted my chain, this time doing it the right way, and now the bike shifts perfectly. No problems at all in any gear.

It's definitely true that clean oil helps with shifting problems. I am just over 3,000 miles and I can tell because the shifting starts getting real notchy when riding. I'm picking up some oil today while I'm up at Ivan's shop and will change it on Saturday. That will surely clear up that notchy feel to the shifting.

I'v read in other forums about completly different bike brands and such ,but that with the change to full synthetic the transmissions shift so much smoother and finding neutral is much easier, but I'll have to lean towards the adjustment being the culprit, but hay the cable-wheel is right there, I'd say to tighten it just a scoush and see if it disengages more, enough to easily up-click into (green) neutral.

I'll add, that.... I think your experiancing a hard shift-clik because of the slightest bit of drag there, otherwise the enguagement wouldn't want to click past neutral, does it kind of click a bit harder than in the past? You know over time the inner cable streach may be just enough to not QUITE, not quite fully dissengage. You'd know that by a slight creeping forward at the stoplight with the bike in gear and holding the clutch in.

Back