Hip Pain/cramp

Hi All,
I have a 2007 Fz1 and find that i get hip cramp on almost every ride over 30 mins, and a deep exterior hip pain if riding for over an hour,
I am a flexible 5'10'' anyone got any ideas on what mods i need to stop this?
I love the bike (even if i have to keeo reminding myself to drop my elbows!) i went for the Fazer as i do alot of camping weekends but wanted track day fun... but the hip pain is taking the fun out of it..... any ideas?..

also any GOOD seat mods as my bony arse seems to get kinda tired as well!

Heh...timely post bud. Well I'm a cancer patient and have lost way too much weight so my arse is quite bony...I bought the yamaha comfort seat and an Alaskaleather buttpad. it seems to be enough...and when I'm stupid enough to pull the buttpad I realize I need it. My $.02.

:welcome: First off, glad to have you aboard! Sorry that your not too comfortable on your FZ, however, there are many things you can do to remedy the situation. A thicker padded seat to start with, and lower rearsets as well. I happen to ride a GenI but there are many people here that are on GenII's that can steer you in the right direction. They will surely be chiming in on this post in no time to help. At 5'10", your not too tall that a new seat and some lower pegs can't help.

Hi All,
I have a 2007 Fz1 and find that i get hip cramp on almost every ride over 30 mins, and a deep exterior hip pain if riding for over an hour,
I am a flexible 5'10'' anyone got any ideas on what mods i need to stop this?
I love the bike (even if i have to keeo reminding myself to drop my elbows!) i went for the Fazer as i do alot of camping weekends but wanted track day fun... but the hip pain is taking the fun out of it..... any ideas?..

also any GOOD seat mods as my bony arse seems to get kinda tired as well!

Well, is the cramp because you are too bent up? As in long legs, big for the bike? If so then a slightly taller (thicker) seat like the Yamaha gel seat; http://www.998cc.org/forum/bikes-parts-wanted/7001-gen-ii-comfort-seat.html#post24844 in combination with the FZ-6 footpeg rubbers; http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7575-mivv-gp-fjr-pegs-fz6-pads-more.html#post31004 will give you a bit more room. Also the Satan 666 highway pegs; http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-general-discussion/7671-satans-pegs.html#post31893 would help by giving you another option for positioning / stretching out on longer rides. This is at least a starting point. The dirt biker stand up and stretch works on long straights to move the joints around a bit. I have a wrecked left shoulder that was rebuilt and it can get sore after long rides. Fortunately it's the left, giving me the ability to move it around while cruising.

Last edited:
I've had 'em a few times. I just stand up on the non cramping leg, and dangle the other one around to relax/loosen it up. It usually takes me a couple goes to shake it, but then it's gone for the whole day. Hellgate's right. It could be a hydration thing.

A+

Spend some time stretching your hip out before rides. It will go a long way towards eliminating hip cramps.

Many ways to do it. Here is one....
Iliotibial Band, Lateral Hip, & Lumbar Paraspinals

Another...
YouTube- Hip Exercise : Lateral Hip Stretch

The looser you can get your hips over time the less likely they will be to cramp up.

I get the same cramp. But I have a routine to get rid of it.
No weight squats working your way to 90* between the quads and shin bent at the knee. Get your feet a bit wider than your shoulders. Do them slow and work up to about 100. If you do these every morning (5min) and then stretch as stated you will add years to your ridding. You will also see the pain decrease. As you ride start at the toes and work your way up stretching every so often. It's still kinda early in the season.

Many custom seats for the FZ1 create a more neutral riding position. In other words one's hips are not tilted as far forward. Of course, I have no idea what is causing your pain, but a position shift seems like it may be a solution.
I ride on a Corbin saddle. It's far more comfortable than stock for me. (Many people on this site like Sargent) Many custom seats also provide better weight distribution; alleviating pressure points.
That said, I'd first find out why you're having this pain. I've not heard the compliant before.:)

Last edited:
Back