Hill Country day ride - mid week

Wed (1.11.12) it's expected 72 & clear in Austin, Texas area and west/southwest looks clear and warm as well. I'm still on vacation this week.......so

I'm heading out in the morning....probably by 8 or so. I always plan to get back to my house by 5 or earlier (don't do night riding) with stops along the way. I'm going to ride some familiar roads & check out a couple new ones in the hill country...somewhat open to suggestions if anyone wants to go. I'm flexible... But, I have a route in mind too.

If interested, send PM for more details, contact :shine:

General route that I have gone multiple times before:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=TX-360+Loop+S&daddr=Bee+Cave+Rd+to:Ranch+Rd+12+to:Ranch+Rd+12+to:Farm+to+Market+Rd+2325/Ranch+Rd+2325+to:Co+Rd+181/Fischer+Store+Rd+to:County+Rd+181/Fischer+Store+Rd+to:County+Rd+181/Fischer+Store+Rd+to:China+St/Farm+to+Market+Rd+1350/Ranch+Rd+1350+to:Ranch+Rd+1350+to:Ranch+Rd+1350+to:29.940655,-99.034538+to:Farm+to+Market+480+S+to:Leakey,+TX&geocode=FdJCzgEdNUIr-g%3BFeRzzgEdaLUp-g%3BFdIOzQEdiFsn-g%3BFa7HyQEdWhYn-g%3BFQYLygEdMHgm-g%3BFfD9yQEd9Cwm-g%3BFSDSyQEdH7Il-g%3BFT61yQEdAB0l-g%3BFdrYyAEdlgsZ-g%3BFRbbyAEdC0EZ-g%3BFTjfyAEd7EYZ-g%3B%3BFfRLyAEdFhkY-g%3BFUOgxQEd2MIN-ikH1E-qLS1ZhjFNNRWfPhGVRQ&abauth=d2825758:tBfxEHlXtaHSAQ73Fy-cXGolSKE&aq=&vps=16&ei=sQ8NT9OMG5D0ygXY8-WEDQ&jsv=387c&sll=29.917447,-98.951111&sspn=0.147596,0.307274&vpsrc=0&gl=us&hl=en&mra=dvme&mrsp=11&sz=12&via=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12&num=10

So far a couple inquiries...

Fun ride. Plan is to leave from chevron at Parmer ln (734) and Lamar in N austin (just off I-35) at 8 am. Going thru Bee Cave, to Wimberly,to Comfort, Bandera. Possibly to Leakey depending on traffic/time.

Frank

Last edited:
Forecast is to drop of to 50 on Thur and staying in the low 50's until Monday into lower 60's - which may have showers Mon & Tue. So, conceivably Wed will be warmest day for a good time

Whether.........

Weather Channel is saying as high as 72 tomorrow, here in heart of the business and financial district of beautiful downtown Pipe Creek, and zero probability of rain. They can be wrong but it looks promising.

Is there an established rally point?

PM sent.

Last edited:
So far a couple inquiries...

Fun ride. Plan is to leave from chevron at Parmer ln (734) and Lamar in N austin (just off I-35) at 8 am. Going thru Bee Cave, to Wimberly,to Comfort, Bandera. Possibly to Leakey depending on traffic/time.

Frank

Was It As Good For You As It Was For Me?

FZ1yb,

How was it?

I was at the rally point early and the last 12 miles of my route were on your indicated route, but traveling in the other direction and I didn't see you. In your PM, you identified the junction and you said you thought you knew the restaurant. It's the only one there.

I got there early and parked beside the road in direct sunlight, broadside to the direction of traffic for visibility. That is exactly in front of the restaurant I described. I didn't want you to miss me.

The only bike I saw that was traveling in the direction you would be taking was some kind of adventure-tour dirt bike with road tires and I was standing by the road when he passed and he never looked in my direction. Even though he stopped for a traffic light and was right beside me for a couple of minutes.

After getting there 10 minutes early and waiting for an hour and forty-five minutes, I left and headed towards Comfort and watched for oncoming bikes but didn't see any.

Well, I'm home 3 hours later and the only excitement was having a deer which was trapped on the roadway between two game fences stampede in front of me.

How was the ride?

FZ1yb,

How was it?

I was at the rally point early and the last 12 miles of my route were on your indicated route, but traveling in the other direction and I didn't see you. In your PM, you identified the junction and you said you thought you knew the restaurant. It's the only one there.

I got there early and parked beside the road in direct sunlight, broadside to the direction of traffic for visibility. That is exactly in front of the restaurant I described. I didn't want you to miss me.

The only bike I saw that was traveling in the direction you would be taking was some kind of adventure-tour dirt bike with road tires and I was standing by the road when he passed and he never looked in my direction. Even though he stopped for a traffic light and was right beside me for a couple of minutes.

After getting there 10 minutes early and waiting for an hour and forty-five minutes, I left and headed towards Comfort and watched for oncoming bikes but didn't see any.

Well, I'm home 3 hours later and the only excitement was having a deer which was trapped on the roadway between two game fences stampede in front of me.

How was the ride?

We had a great ride. 3 other riders showed up when we departed (one being my friend on a Bandit). We ended up riding elsewhere because we wanted to check out some new roads.

Sorry you went to all that trouble, but you didn't confirm or send me your contact info. So, wasn't sure if you were just suggesting a different place since you didn't respond back to my follow-up inquiry. No number for us to call you, but you could have called the number I provided. Again, sorry you went to all that trouble, but it didn't seem you were completely committed to linking up. We did have a good time riding. :tup:

Your ride invitation posting:

Plan is to leave from chevron at Parmer ln (734) and Lamar in N austin (just off I-35) at 8 am. Going thru Bee Cave, to Wimberly,to Comfort, Bandera. Possibly to Leakey depending on traffic/time.

Your response to my query:

Sorry you went to all that trouble, but you didn't confirm or send me your contact info. So, wasn't sure if you were just suggesting a different place since you didn't respond back to my follow-up inquiry.

My to you:

Coming into Center Point from Comfort, there is a traffic light where you could go straight towards Kerrville or turn left though Center Point. There is a hamburger joint on the left, the south east quadrant of the intersection. I'll be there around 10:30. We can have coffee and discuss the route.

Your last PM sent: 8:49PM, 1/10/12 and nothing following that to indicate a change in plans.

I think I know it. I usually take 1350 from 27 W to hit 480, etc. Is this place at 27 and 480?

I confirmed the road junction rally point.

Clearly nothing I sent indicated a commitment to the ride but I received no request to confirm and no request for contact information.

Last edited:
Back