High octane gas

Fuel in the US uses a different rating (AKI) than fuel outside (most) of the US... 87 AKI here is 91-92 RON outside of here. US 93 AKI is 98 RON outside of here. Same fuel, different standards of measurement. ;)

For more info on this there is decent information on wikipedia:

Octane rating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is also a chart that compares AKI to RON for many typical fuels.

And yes, I am in the boat that use the minimum octane required. If you have a jet kit or a timing advancer and either specifies to use a higher octane fuel then it may be needed. When I'm racing or doing a spirited mountain run I go for a little higher octane. Hot spots in an old engine can develop on carbon deposits and make knock more likely, higher octane helps to prevent that.

That said, I don't think using premium will lower your power significantly or noticeably. Not any more than 2 back to back runs on the dyno would be different. Higher octane fuel burns slower and, more importantly, more consistently. Knock happens when the explosion starts somewhere other than the center of the cylinder / spark and pushes in an odd direction. The explosion has to be timed properly to push the piston and rod down with maximum force, but not so soon or off-center that it pushes them before they reach the top of their stroke.

I run 92 in my FZ1 (manual says 91) and it runs fine. I recently ran some 110 unleaded through it (all that was available) and noticed no difference. Like everyone has said, higher octane is to prevent pinging in high compression engines. Running higher octane than required doesn't seem to hurt anything

I run 92 in my FZ1 (manual says 91) and it runs fine. I recently ran some 110 unleaded through it (all that was available) and noticed no difference. Like everyone has said, higher octane is to prevent pinging in high compression engines. Running higher octane than required doesn't seem to hurt anything

Hurts the wallet...:rofl:

Reread your manual. In the octane rating system used in the US, minimum octane requirement is 87. How many different ways does this have to be said??

92 doesn't really hurt the wallet (like 20cents more)

multiply that by the millions of people out there who fall for this and you see why the oil industry is where it is....

I learned a long time ago to be picky with my money, and to try to pass that on to others. Every little penny does matter.

But that's just my $.02, and it's actually free today only! :D

Back