Help please 2001 yamaha FZS1000N

For what my bike provides, i think its a small price to pay to fill it with premium from a big fuel company. Little guys are struggling with transport, and mixing other fluids with gas is amazingly common. Has been for decades.

I use to run 89 octane when gas was cheap. My Gen 1s runs hotter (more heat off engine) with 91 octane, other wise they run fine, no better, on higher octane.

I've run 87 octane for the last 3 years, zero issues ,no pinging, and 75 cents a gallon cheaper than 89 octane in New England. If it were 10 cents different, I probably wouldn't have changed.

Let me also add that my Gen 1s get 50 mpg, no matter what I run.

The price of gas has gone up recently, currently $3.59 for 87. I know our Calif and Euro members are rolling their eyes over $3.59 thinking .....if only.

I'm willing to pay a premium for CVX, OXY and XOM stock, but that's because they come with a 4-6% dividend.

Octane does not = quality - it is just a a measure of detonation. Yamaha says the engine only needs 87 - no reason to go higher.

I would stay away from any small brand fuel and stick with the bigger names that have better quality control. Since it was running fine before you filled it up I would suggest training that tank and putting in fresh gas.

Octane does not = quality - it is just a a measure of detonation. Yamaha says the engine only needs 87 - no reason to go higher.

I would stay away from any small brand fuel and stick with the bigger names that have better quality control. Since it was running fine before you filled it up I would suggest training that tank and putting in fresh gas.
Concur with first line.

Good explanation on where the gas at all stations comes from by Exxon employee on Reddit:

"Gas stations get their gas from bulk storage facilities, typically, the closest one. These bulk storage facilities (the ones you see on the highway with the huge white tanks) get their gas from a refinery, which sends the gas by pipeline or rail car. The refinery may be owned by company x, the bulk storage facility may be owned by company y, and the gas station owned by company z. Gas stations may be owned by a gas refining company, like Shell, but frequently they are owned by another company (or individual) who has a license to use the branding of an oil company like Shell and a contract requiring the use of the the refiner’s additive. So, your Shell station may be getting gas from an Exxon refinery. It doesn’t matter, because each grade of gas—pre-additive—is the same. It’s made to a specification so it works in all cars. The only difference is the additive, which is put in at the bulk storage facility (called a terminal). Most gas stations use gas from one of the nearest refinery or pipeline/rail-line, which is not necessarily from the company whose branding and additive they use."

If additives are important to the buyer then go to a major brand.

Cylinder 1 and 4 were barley firing, we pulled the coil and had lots of spark, and it’s got tons of compression still, so we used about a can of carb clean and it seems to be running better all the cylinders are actually running now and it sounds better , the old gas had almost this scum in the bottom, it was almost oily, I drained the tank and added some new stuff and I’m gonna put some sea foam in the tank next time I ride

LOL good ol seafoam. Running higher octane without advancing timing will result in the bike running cooler. Thats been known for decades. It wont make more power. And in my case definitely starts easier.

Running higher octane without advancing timing will result in the bike running cooler. And in my case definitely starts easier.
Can you elaborate on the starts easier?

Like getting it to actually fie and run is easier on the higher octane or idle when the motor is cold is better?

How do you know the engine temp is cooler? My Gen 1 only has a light that comes on if the bike is too hot.

My old boss use to use the term from Dupont commercials "Better living through chemistry" although he was talking about drugs. Seafoam is fine, but possibly a little lazy in terms of getting the film off the bottom of tank. Don't go too much over recommended amount. I don't know which product to suggest to get that film out maybe someone else has some ideas, maybe dawn dish washing soap. The problem is you can't reach the recesses of the tank to manually remove.

You don't say how you checked spark but hopefully you pulled all plugs and cleaned each with some emery paper or at least a wire brush. Gas fouled plugs are almost as bad as oil fouled for not firing. Hopefully your AIS plumbing is removed to make spark plug removal easier.

Don't overdo the direct hose above the motor when washing your bike, especially a pressure washer. I wonder if you didn't get water in your airbox during wash, as it would be unlikely for it to be gas. .

The white smoke you were seeing was probably unburnt gas from 1/4 or water that got in the airbox or both. Does your airbox have a stock cover or is it modified with holes?

At least things are getting better.

Mines stock, it was definitely gas as I was sitting on a white stop line, the ones that are white road marking paint and when you get fuel on it it turns brown, and well it was, it also smelled like gas and the next day it rained where the bike was sitting at my house had a nice sheen from the fuel on the ground, the gas I got was still quite flammable, we pulled the plugs they were very clean and we checked the spark in the cold school way of screw driver in the spark plug boot and then place it against the block but we checked the plugs and they all looked brand new still

I would also personally assume it was fuel coming out of the pipes because it was blown head gasket amount of smoke, and after checking connections and getting all of the cyclinders to fire again it went away even with some of the old gas still in the carbs

Back