Help please 2001 yamaha FZS1000N

Hi, I have just bought my self a non running fz1 and it wont even crank over and I have no idea where to start really, they said it was the starter solenoid so i bought one and installed it but it still wont turn over, the engine is free i turned it by hand by putting the bike in 6th and turning the wheel, also the neutral light doesn't turn on even if the bike is in neutral, it dash is actin weird, when I turn the signals on the dash turns off for, also when I turn the headlight to high beams the dash shuts off then comes back , any help would be amazing as i'm a absolutes newb to repairing street bikes its a well used bike that has some minor damage but nothing that i can think of that would cause the bike not to turn over, also i checked the battery and it has a reasonable voltage and hot wired the starter and it turns normally, it just wont turn over with the button, any help would be amazing once again many thanks
Mel

Take off the left side front fairing cover (three fasteners) and check out the electrical connectors near the rectifier to see if any wire has pulled out or been severed. Take the windscreen off (six fasteners) and make sure the electrical connector on the back of the speedo is securely in place. Take some WD40 and spray a little bit into the ignition key hole then work key around to distribute it.

Do you need a service manual? I can PM a digital copy if you PM me.

The neutral light not working is interesting, have you tried pulling in the clutch lever while trying to start the bike? Also put bike on center stand and make sure side stand is retracted while trying this.

There are a couple of safety cut outs that prevent starting related to the side stand being down and not being in neutral.

Last edited:
Take off the left side front fairing cover (three fasteners) and check out the electrical connectors near the rectifier to see if any wire has pulled out or been severed. Take the windscreen off (six fasteners) and make sure the electrical connector on the back of the speedo is securely in place. Take some WD40 and spray a little bit into the ignition key hole then work key around to distribute it.

Do you need a service manual? I can PM a digital copy if you PM me.

The neutral light not working is interesting, have you tried pulling in the clutch lever while trying to start the bike? Also put bike on center stand and make sure side stand is retracted while trying this.

There are a couple of safety cut outs that prevent starting related to the side stand being down and not being in neutral.
sure ill give that a shot and let you know how it goes and I've got a pdf of the yamaha technical manual for the bike already but I appreate it

You need a good hill to get a non-running cold Gen 1 to "bump" start. I tried to do it last winter on a slight hill (where it died) and almost went down trying to make that transition from running by it to sitting on it. That was with a fully warmed up bike. Tried it again thinking landing side saddle would help but that was even worse.

If you can just push off down the hill from a sitting position it's a lot easier/safer. Luckily for me a nice lady came along with cables and "jump" started it.

You need a good hill to get a non-running cold Gen 1 to "bump" start. I tried to do it last winter on a slight hill (where it died) and almost went down trying to make that transition from running by it to sitting on it. That was with a fully warmed up bike. Tried it again thinking landing side saddle would help but that was even worse.

If you can just push off down the hill from a sitting position it's a lot easier/safer. Luckily for me a nice lady came along with cables and "jump" started it.
Good to know I’ll keep it in mind for when I try it

What gear were you in?

I would try bump starting in at least 4th gear to ensure you can still roll forward.

Another thought though - is the kickstand kill switch being activated? That could cause you to get nothing when pressing the starter button.

What gear was I in? Winter Gear. Pants with armor, jacket with armor, motorcycle specific boots. 😇

My bike rolls pretty well in neutral. Put it in gear and pull in the clutch with the motor off and it takes more effort to overcome what I guess is clutch drag.

What gear was I in? Winter Gear. Pants with armor, jacket with armor, motorcycle specific boots. 😇

My bike rolls pretty well in neutral. Put it in gear and pull in the clutch with the motor off and it takes more effort to overcome what I guess is clutch drag.
lol, I meant what transmission gear were you in, It would be really hard to bump start a bold bike in 1st or 2nd gear due to the compression drag - you want to be in 3rd or 4th.

I was trying 4th.

Low gears are a recipe for locking up the rear. I don't know why I thought it would be easy on a slight grade, That last stride when your pushing has to end up with your left foot on the left peg, unless you totally jump the shark and land cowboy style

Cowboy Story:
When I was still working I use to ride with a young engineer from my department who had a Ducati 748. On one ride he brought his girlfriend along who became his wife a year later, and his Ex a year after that (but I digress).

That Ducati was actually quite comfortable as long as the speed didn't dip below 80. Around town it was a torture rack so the three of us stopped at a State park for a few minutes to get their blood recirculating again. When it was time to go my friend and I were sitting on our running bikes and I see him turn a little and pat the rear seat. His girlfriend took three steps from behind his bike, put both hands on the tail and vaulted onto the back seat landing like gentle wind. It's the only time I ever saw a passenger board full pony express.

so update the battery was about .4 volts under the reccomend level and so that solved the issure with the bikes dash flickering, but it still wont crank over, I checked the continunity of both the clucth lever switch and the kick stand switch and they both seem to be responding correclty, the only other thing I could figure out it maybe being was the starting circit cutoff relay but the wiring diagram in the maueal has diffrent wires so im not sure how to check it of it would be a possible cause to the issue, also unreleated any good places to find crashed fz1's for parts?

Your getting there on the repair.

Ebay has been my go to. I sometimes see owners selling pieces on Craigslist but the cost of shipping is much higher for individuals than parts places that ship a lot. On some stuff it makes sense to just get it from Partshark than to pay 80% for used. An example is front fairings are $193 on partshark and they are similar money on ebay used. Don't take long to rack up $1000 in parts after a get off. Put a list of stuff you need in the classifieds here.

Also one more question there small hose that comes off the rear of the rad, or there’s supposed to be and the only hole that I can find that doesn’t have a part that goes to it is on the carbs there are 2 1/2 inch ish plastic fitting that are missing hoses, one between the first and second carb and one between the third and fourth, and I’m wondering what their purpose is and what I need to connect them, the parts diagram and the Manuel are kinds unless for it

If nothing is leaking coolant then my guess is the previous owner has disconnected the carb de-icer. It was a popular mod back in the day. If you can provide the find # for the plastic fitting on the carbs it might help. I suspect the small hose is the one coming off the back of the radiator near the filler. Sucks not having access to FZ1OA as I could probably find the thread for the mod. I don't think I ever did it.

At temps above freezing the carbs can still ice up due to the velocity of the air.

EDIT: I have done it on both my bikes. The hoses from the radiator go to the small "metal" tubes between the carbs on the front. The small plastic fittings are for the drain hoses, the hose are probaly there somewhere under the back of the carbs

Last edited:
Your getting there on the repair.

Ebay has been my go to. I sometimes see owners selling pieces on Craigslist but the cost of shipping is much higher for individuals than parts places that ship a lot. On some stuff it makes sense to just get it from Partshark than to pay 80% for used. An example is front fairings are $193 on partshark and they are similar money on ebay used. Don't take long to rack up $1000 in parts after a get off. Put a list of stuff you need in the classifieds here.
I have used eBay before - lots of specialty resellers who disassemble bikes and sell parts. I got a new Choke Cable Assembly for mine on eBay once.

It's good to know all my guesses were wrong.

Those are Vacumn Chamber Vent Hoses. With your seat off you should see two small saddle like clips on the cross rail in front of the air filter. Those hoses rest in those saddles. I guess they prevent a vacumn above the diaphram. Bike might run without them, but they really should be in place. Someone had the carbs out and didn't put them back.

It's connected to the hot wire on your battery, actually it's part of that wire. . A relay is used to switch power off and on in larger wires. The wire coming out of your ignition wouldn't be big enough to spin a stater and the engine connected to it. The relay is a switch that's activated when you turn the key. The switch acts on larger wire from battery to starter.

Back