Helmet lock for GenII?

My wife has the lock from the link in the previous post on her Buell Blast and although I do like it on her bike. I don't really want to add one to mine. I just hang my helmet over the mirror and live dangerously.

that works for you? I tried that the other night. The D-rings on my helmet barely fit around those nubs, but it hung on to it, but when I try to lock the seat, it seams like the D-rings keep the seat from locking down all the way. I was pushing down pretty hard.

Nope. I was just pointing them out. I never use them, they are too much of a Pain.

I think this method is dependent on what helmet brand you're using. Some D-rings might be slightly different from each other causing issues. And while I agree that it's not that easy to use the first time out with some practice it works fine. My Scorpion EXO 700 helmet fits on there and just sits on the rear seat perfectly while locked in place.

Simple Solution

I kept the small helmet locking cable that came with another bike. It's plastic coated and has a crimped-on loop at each end.

I just put the cable through the seat's grab handle and put one loop through the other. I slipped a nice looking carabiner through that. All you do is clip the helmet-strap d-rings with the carabiner.

I've never had a helmet stolen and I believe in speed, plus it looks like it's locked, anyway. So, I just use the carabiner, no lock. If I got nervous, I'd use a lock instead of the carabiner.

I didn't know about the plastic nubs under the passenger seat, but my tailbag rests on that seat & is a pain to remove.

The plastic coating on my little cable prevents scratches. It can hold two helmets.

There's a separate post on this, with photos.

If you don't mind doing a little filing on your bike, just remove the front seat and file down the width of one or both of the tabs until your D ring fits over it.

SDC11628.jpg

SDC11631.jpg

SDC11634.jpg

Quick and works great.

i use a combination lock to secure several helmets and jackets if required.ive known of helmet straps to be cut from helmets locked using the under seat method.very rare but has happened so i wont use the under sest method.

I've never used the helmet locks on any of my bikes that did have them. Now I have a Nolan N-43 and it doesn't even have the loops so one wouldn't do me any good if the bike did have one. I either put my gloves and helmet on the seat or take them with me. Haven't lost a helmet in my entire riding career. Maybe I'm just lucky but if a rider uses a helmet, he/she already has one and if they don't ride with a helmet, they don't want one. Helmet theft can't be that prevalent!

Now I have a Nolan N-43 and it doesn't even have the loops so one wouldn't do me any good if the bike did have one.

The easiest solution: Carry a smallish cable lock with you. Set the helmet on the rear view mirror and run the cable thru the visor opening and the forks. Easy and fast. I think it was under $10 on ebay when I got it 3 years ago. Cheap protection for a $500 Arai.

Great Helmet Lock!

These are the ones I like. They can be mounted almost anywhwere on the frame......they are keyed and most importantly you don't have to pop the seat everytime (what a hassle).

These have a screw that requires a special tool to remove (well a special tool or a lot of free time). I know all of our helmets are pricey.....but I doubt the kind of person that's looking to steal a helmet wants to mess with a lock. Most motorcyclists respect each others equipment. If someone were so inclined to steal a helmet....they're looking for a helmet that's not attached to anything...IMO.

I wouldn't hesitate leaving my helmet attached to this lock for a full day.

Motion Pro Helmet Lock - KneeDraggers.com (link)
Choppastyle

Last edited:
If anyone has hard saddlebags or tour pack you can do what I used to do and that was to open the saddle bag, slip the d rings or the clip of a nolan inside the bag and lock the bag up. Now you can cut the strap but thats about the only way to get the helmet without the key.

On the rear seat are two metal hooks at the front of the seat, I just put D ring through hook and secure seat as normal. Metal hook much stronger than plastic lugs on rear.
:tup:

Yamahas new Fazer GT has a new helmet lock on the rear passenger peg:

pic_003.jpg

pic_005zoom.jpg

Im pretty sure you can buy the helmet lock on its own.

Back