Helmet lock for GenII?

What I do is the 2 metal hooks that hold the rear seat in place, you put the d-rings of the helmet on to that then hook the seat on.

I believe that's what Yamaha intended us to do with it, even though its a major PITA.

Personally, I just take my helmet into places I just don't trust people enough.

what Geno said is spot on.
There are some aftermarket upgrades.
Google helmet locks. I AM SURE I saw Sure them at Twisted Throttle. Can't speak to the quality or convenience.....However I'm sure that I some type of apparatus that let guys secure their helmets to their backseat of their bikes and the helmet rode perfectly vertical. IDK - could have just been bungee chords! LOL.

When I was travelling this past summer I spent almost a day on a ferry crossing. Carrying my helmet and heavy leather jacket would have been a pain while onboard. Instead I took a small coiled cable, bicycle lock. It was long enough to go through the sleeves of the jacket and the helmet (in through the bottom and out the face port). The cable is vinyle coated and will fit under the rear seat deck (just behind the forward seat latches. I had it easy as I was using my custom rear seat deck with the raised rear cargo plate. The lock stowed under the deck when not using it.

Most helmet locks haven't done me any good with my Nolan helmet. I love the non D-ring system for ease and quickness, but it doesn't work with any helmet lock I know...

nolan013.JPG

I'm picking up a Shoei RF-1100 soon, but I don't think I want a $500 helmet hanging from my bike to get messed with anyway. I'm also thinking about a specific designed helmet backpack.

Yeah see that's my problem, there is no way in hell I want to pay for another $600 helmet any time soon. At the same time it is quite a pain to walk into a restaurant looking like Buzz lightyear! I've thought about the lock and coil cable but I myself can pick any lock in 2 mins flat so I'd really hate to come out and not find my helmet one of these days, why I'd just have to kill someone then.

Under the pillion seat, in the rear of the seat, is two plastic nubs/protrusions. Those are meant to hold the D ring of your helmet and with the seat locked in place, secure the helmet. Nothing more is needed. Your bike key locks and unlocks the seat so you need no other key or have to remember a combination.

I made a cable from 3/16 clear insulated cable that I bought from the local hardware store. I even spent the money to buy the crimping tool for the ferrule. The cable is about 24” long total after I made a loop at each end. One end I hard mount to a bolt under the seat. I usually just keep the cable coiled under the seat out of harm’s way. I also bought a small programmable combination lock which I set to the last four digits of my cell phone number. The cable is long enough to go through the sleeve of my jacket, out through the collar and I put the lock on the D-ring of my helmet and the other end of the cable. I lay the jacket on the seat with the attached helmet sitting on top. This has worked excellent for many years and all my helmets are in the $500+ range.

It is also imperative that you park your bike in a well lit area with a lot of foot traffic. I usually park on the sidewalk close to the entrance of Wally Mart, Target, Lowes, etc. If you are far enough away from direct foot traffic not to impose on anyone, everything is good. Even the security guards don’t seem to object.

If you stop at a Lenny’s or Coco’s, park by the front where there is lots of windows. If you park at work, the movie theater, or at a hotel, and you are going to be there for hours or overnight, take your stuff in with you. I have even been to the International Motorcycle show, jacket & helmet cable locked to the bike, spent the whole day there, came back out to the parking lot and everything was how I left it.

I don’t know of too many people that carry dikes big enough to cut through cable just on the off chance that they stop by a pharmacy and need to rip off some guy’s motorcycle jacket. :chat:

Under the pillion seat, in the rear of the seat, is two plastic nubs/protrusions. Those are meant to hold the D ring of your helmet and with the seat locked in place, secure the helmet. Nothing more is needed. Your bike key locks and unlocks the seat so you need no other key or have to remember a combination.

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Can you see it in this pic?
CaseInstall01.jpg

I'm not sure I know what you mean. Can you see it in this pic?
CaseInstall01.jpg

At the top of the tail openening (picture) are two metal rings. On the passenger seat's underside (at the narrow end) are 2 plastic nubs (for lack of a better word).When the seat is pushed down into place the "nubs" go into those metal rings. The helmets "D-ring" goes over it (the nub), then you click the passenger set down into place with the helmet sitting on top of it. It works (with practice) but is a PITA in my opinion, and would not work for a nolan ratchet type strap.:gaming:

At the top of the tail openening (picture) are two metal rings. On the passenger seat's underside (at the narrow end) are 2 plastic nubs (for lack of a better word).When the seat is pushed down into place the "nubs" go into those metal rings. The helmets "D-ring" goes over it (the nub), then you click the passenger set down into place with the helmet sitting on top of it. It works (with practice) but is a PITA in my opinion, and would not work for a nolan ratchet type strap.:gaming:

yep, yep... I now I see... I misunderstood and thought you meant the nubs were sticking up into the seat, but it's the other way around. duh
:drools:
:iamwithstupid:

Here is a picture;

passengerseattrayunderside.jpg

I'm usually good for one of these. :embarrased:

that works for you? I tried that the other night. The D-rings on my helmet barely fit around those nubs, but it hung on to it, but when I try to lock the seat, it seams like the D-rings keep the seat from locking down all the way. I was pushing down pretty hard.

that works for you? I tried that the other night. The D-rings on my helmet barely fit around those nubs, but it hung on to it, but when I try to lock the seat, it seams like the D-rings keep the seat from locking down all the way. I was pushing down pretty hard.

Nope. I was just pointing them out. I never use them, they are too much of a Pain.

Back