Helmet Law - Very Interesting

true we all take risks with cars and conditions of roads and such, but it has been said before in this thread and it is common sense that you have a much better chance of living and/or not getting a traumatic brain injury if you wear a helmet. so no need to tell people to get off their high horses, because it IS too risky to ride with out a helmet if it can reduce your chances of death or tbi.

Not riding a bike can also reduce your chances of being killed riding a bike...All i'm saying is each of us is comfortable with a certain level of risk. Other people may or may not agree with that level of risk. And there's no such thing as common sense on a forum of FZ1 riders. Nothing about a Fz1 screams common sense. We ride Fz1's because they're FAST! :)

Last edited:
Meh... personal choice is fine with me. I choose to always wear my helmet (and gear) because I feel I am smarter than those that do not. In NH, when you turn 18, it is personal choice. Under 18, the government says you cannot ride without a helmet.

Safety aside, I cannot imagine going without a helmet just based SOLELY on the crap that has hit my helmet, be it road debris, object getting dislodged from vehicles and the bugs! Why would anyone want anything like that nailing them in the face?

Personally, I do not care if someone chooses to ride without. It's not up to me to judge them or berate them for not doing so (unless you're family!) but I do reserve the right to call them idiots and that isn't being judgemental, just honest..... right? :eek5: :tup:

I see a lot of bashing here. From a bunch of riders just like me..IE riding our 165 mph massivly overpowered high acceleration super machines in normal traffic. What we do is risk. Pointing our fingers at someone else yelling "too risky" is a joke. Get off yer high horse. In my state there's no LAW requiring me to wear a helmet, but I wear one. Does there need to be a law? Do I need a law telling me to brush my teeth in the morning? No.

Hey, I got no problem with them not wearing a helmet. And if they die in a low speed totally survivable accident, that's their problem.
Just like you can choose not to brush your teeth. As long as your cool with all your teeth falling out.

sure. i agree and fzalaska even said he always wears a helmet. i just don't understand the whole "get off your high horse" comment, especially when we are all pretty much saying the same thing. we all wear helmets, we all except risks of riding. many have stated that it is too risky not to wear a helmet while riding. i don't think its what you said, i think it's the manner in which you said it. i mean, if you really wanna get down to it, you take a risk every day you get out of bed in the morning and live your life! :shaking head:

also, sometimes helmets will do nothing for certain crashes, but if you can mitigate your chances of death or injury, and you don't by not wearing a helmet, do you expect people not to call you dumb? (not directed towards anyone) i agree with the different levels of risk, i mean look at different riders, some wear full leathers, and some wear t-shirts and jeans. everyone is different, but a helmet isn't just for rash, it is for contact, which i believe makes it a little different and a personal must have for me. i barely remember what the hell i am even talking about...

Some people think I am stupid for riding a bike. I, in turn, think people that do not wear a helmet are stupid.

I really don't care if people do not wear a helmet as long as my taxes do not go towards their rehab (that is how it is done in Texas). Then again people who think I am stupid for riding a bike would probably not wan't their tax money going towards my rehab whether I wear a helmet or not. :tdown:

I suppose it is all a matter of perspective. ....and we all have one.

Well said. The biggest benefit in my eyes for a helmet law is for the passenger. How many young naive passenger get on the pillon without a helmet because 1 they can and 2 because some kid tells them nothing bad will happen. At least in a car they have to wear a seatbelt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love these clowns that ride around in shorts,flip flops,no helmet then wave at me,Guess what dick I dont wanna be in your club or associated with you in any way.

I think just on the 80 mile ride I did tonight, I collected 5 June bugs, 4034023 mosquitoes, and about 1050453023 little tiny bugs. I am all set with that on my face...

Took a bee to the part of my face shield that would have been my right eye the other day at around 75mph.. That would have left me nice and blind.

I don't care if they don't wear helmets. All I can do is take care of myself and worry about what I am personally doing. They can all go talk about their chrome and bandannas in the Starbucks parking lot while I am out enjoying the roads. And its not just them, as around here you can do what you want over 21, so tons of squids on the sport bikes do the flip flops shorts and no helmet thing. I have seen more than I can count with just shorts and flip flops, not even a t-shirt. Unreal. Then I am the one getting the strange looks when I pull up to a light with full gear. I find it amusing.

I was a cage passenger up in New Jersey/New York last week, and besides the general difference of adherence to traffic laws (at least compared to Utah, haha), my main thought of the road quality was: "These roads suck!"... Potholes and bumps everywhere, constantly...

I'm all for the right to choose to wear a helmet or not, but with the roads I experienced (and the "light" late night traffic), riding without a helmet in the city just seems like a foolish idea (I can't speak for the road/traffic conditions further away however)...

It's sad that it cost the protester his life.

Just to give an idea of what catastrophic claims cost. My Progressive policy in the state of Michigan which automatically adds MCCA (Catastropic Claims) to your auto or motorcycle to help offset these claims that injured people file that go beyond their policy limits. I carry $1000 deductable on collision and comprehensive and I'm 61 so I'm in a good age group with no points or claims, my premium is $95.00, the MCCA is $143.09 or twice what the premium is. Total cost $238.09 That's what the cost is to everyone when an accident causes long term care that the injured person can't pay for. If you put yourself in a position that may require this type of care and could have prevented or minimized it by simply using a seat belt or a helmet, then I have a right to be pissed.

I love these clowns that ride around in shorts,flip flops,no helmet then wave at me,Guess what dick I dont wanna be in your club or associated with you in any way.

I concur. I generally even wave at the Harley's even if they don't, but when I see one of these morons in shorts and flip flops they get a "your an idiot" head shake.

Just to give an idea of what catastrophic claims cost. My Progressive policy in the state of Michigan which automatically adds MCCA (Catastropic Claims) to your auto or motorcycle to help offset these claims that injured people file that go beyond their policy limits. I carry $1000 deductable on collision and comprehensive and I'm 61 so I'm in a good age group with no points or claims, my premium is $95.00, the MCCA is $143.09 or twice what the premium is. Total cost $238.09 That's what the cost is to everyone when an accident causes long term care that the injured person can't pay for. If you put yourself in a position that may require this type of care and could have prevented or minimized it by simply using a seat belt or a helmet, then I have a right to be pissed.

I must respectfully ask you to clarify your statement. How can an insurance company be responsible for paying claims that go beyond the limits? The limits are the limits, right?

Did you in fact mean to say the the state adds a surcharge collected by the insurance company to cover the states cost of un/under insured drivers?

Back