Helmet Law - Very Interesting

I have known a lot of ABATE members and they will usually tell you that they are for rider education and the protection of riders from the evil coffin drivers (who at times is me and you) but when you get right down to the meat of their existance, it's to do away with helmet laws in the U.S. wherever they may be. They have been working on Michigans' helmet law for almost as long as I can remember and even when they convinced our legislature to come up with laws doing away with mandatory helmet use, the Governor vetoed them. We have a new governor now and again the legislature has come with a new law that would allow helmetless riders again. As I understand it, they would have to carry exta insurance. I think using your helmet is a lot cheaper and a hell of a lot smarter.

So when an accident leaves you paralyzed or brain-dead, or both, that $20K of insurance will last how long - 1 day? 1 1/2 days?

Who pays the hospital bill when your insurance coverage is exhausted, your ABATE bros.?

So when an accident leaves you paralyzed or brain-dead, or both, that $20K of insurance will last how long - 1 day? 1 1/2 days?

Who pays the hospital bill when your insurance coverage is exhausted, your ABATE bros.?

$20,000 will last a few hours at best. A friend's sister has been going through cancer treatment the last 7 months and has racked up over $400,000 in bills.

Make sure you have good long term disability and most importantly, long term care insurance.

I think good insurance (disability, health, life, accident, and long term care) are important to have with the motorcycle riding activity -- even if riding ATGATT and intelligently.

--well then of course good motorcycle insurance too, but I don't deal with P&C lines.

No Need For Helmets

I've been riding for over 40 years and there is something that I can assure you of.

There is no need whatsoever to wear a helmet..............

Unless you have something valuable enough to put in it.

Back in the 70's, I was awaiting the start of a desert race and was talking with an "old guy". He asked me about my abilities and I said "I don't fall much anymore".

He replied "Son, you're just not going fast enough".

He was right.

Last edited:
I kinda want to respect the dead, but how can I respect stupid? Ehhh!! hopefully his buddies learned from his misfortune.

Accident: An unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance. (Webster 2005)

Not wearing yor helmet: A calculated act of choice. (me 2011) Oh the freedom of choice, don't we love and demand it?

I'm against it being illegal to ride without a helmet, but I am against riding without one (if that makes any sense...)

I'm against it being illegal to ride without a helmet, but I am against riding without one (if that makes any sense...)

it makes sense. i am the same way. should be your choice and if you end up dead, or braindamaged or whatever, then you have nobody to blame but yourself. like i said when this protester thing was posted before, i believe there is no reason whatsoever to not wear a helmet when you ride.

I think it is more an act of selfishness, especially to your family and friends who have to live on without you because you were too dumb and selfish to wear something as simple as a helmet. Of course, if you have no worries about leaving your wife & kids in the lurch, by all means...:retard:

They must be Harley riders, ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. Our helmet law came in on 1973 here in New Zealand. They are way behind in safety rules compared to most of the world.

Last edited:
They are way behind in safety rules compared to most of the world.

You mean the rest of the developed world right? Believe me I was born and raised in a third world country, and where I'm from, if you want to ride without one, who cares. I'm willing to be bet in non-developed countries the same holds true.

I see a lot of bashing here. From a bunch of riders just like me..IE riding our 165 mph massivly overpowered high acceleration super machines in normal traffic. What we do is risk. Pointing our fingers at someone else yelling "too risky" is a joke. Get off yer high horse. In my state there's no LAW requiring me to wear a helmet, but I wear one. Does there need to be a law? Do I need a law telling me to brush my teeth in the morning? No.

I think it is more an act of selfishness, especially to your family and friends who have to live on without you because you were too dumb and selfish to wear something as simple as a helmet. Of course, if you have no worries about leaving your wife & kids in the lurch, by all means...:retard:

So is owning and riding a high performance motorcycle on the street with cars. But you have decided that risk is acceptable.

So is owning and riding a high performance motorcycle on the street with cars. But you have decided that risk is acceptable.

true we all take risks with cars and conditions of roads and such, but it has been said before in this thread and it is common sense that you have a much better chance of living and/or not getting a traumatic brain injury if you wear a helmet. so no need to tell people to get off their high horses, because it IS too risky to ride with out a helmet if it can reduce your chances of death or tbi.

Back