Helmet holder / lock

Been searching around to find an easy way of securing my helmet to the gen 11 . Not so much an anti theft thing but a reasonably secure way of attaching it to the bike for short periods . Any way came up with this . You do have to remove both seats but no big deal really . Once the seat is refitted the top of the peg sits in the recess of the seat so the d rings cannot be wriggled out . See what you think . . It may already have been done !!

Last edited:
Yea, that works! Using the tabs on the back of the passenger seat is another option, but it's a little challenging until you get the hang of it. I've been thinking about getting one of those license plate mounts with a lock. Something like this:

attachment.php

You can take the tag lock Tony linked above and after drilling and tapping two holes, its like what Yamaha should have done - this is what my bro did on his '06 -

DSCN0632Medium.jpg

He likes the way it works -

DSCN0633Medium.jpg

That looks great Duster! I looked online for the one I saw from Yamaha on the Fazer GT, but can't find it anywhere. I'm sure it's something Yamaha is already manufacturing and you don't have to drill or tap anything...it bolts on!

attachment.php

Been searching around to find an easy way of securing my helmet to the gen 11 . Not so much an anti theft thing but a reasonably secure way of attaching it to the bike for short periods . Any way came up with this . You do have to remove both seats but no big deal really . Once the seat is refitted the top of the peg sits in the recess of the seat so the d rings cannot be wriggled out . See what you think . . It may already have been done !!

Very enterprising! I like it.

That looks great Duster! I looked online for the one I saw from Yamaha on the Fazer GT, but can't find it anywhere. I'm sure it's something Yamaha is already manufacturing and you don't have to drill or tap anything...it bolts on!

Have seen that before, some time ago on this site I believe. My parts guy can't find it either. But that would be ideal if you could find/get it. Even more ideal would be if you could then get it keyed to your ignition key so you only carry one key. That's my only criticism of my bros arrangement, the extra key.

My CBR600 and RZ350 have only a single key.

I feel your pain, I spent 3 hours on Yamaha (Japan) looking for that part. The parts list for the FZ1 GT dosen't show it. I think those parts would sell like crazy in the U.S.

Have seen that before, some time ago on this site I believe. My parts guy can't find it either. But that would be ideal if you could find/get it. Even more ideal would be if you could then get it keyed to your ignition key so you only carry one key. That's my only criticism of my bros arrangement, the extra key.

My CBR600 and RZ350 have only a single key.

Oh that wouldn't be a problem getting it rekeyed to operate with the current bike key.

I feel your pain, I spent 3 hours on Yamaha (Japan) looking for that part. The parts list for the FZ1 GT dosen't show it. I think those parts would sell like crazy in the U.S.

Oh I know what you mean...plus it's a simple bolt on part.

Does the Gen 2 not have one? My Gen 1 has one as part of the seat lock.

Correct, Yamaha in their infinite wisdom did not provide a proper helmet lock on the Gen II.

Yamaha Helmet Hanger Set

YAMAHA : HelmetHangerSet [Q5KYSK056E03]

I was buying a rear bag here and took a look to see what else they offered when I found the Yamaha helmet lock! I received it today and it is the Yamaha part, 4R8-21308-01, which doesn't seem to exist on the Yamaha Parts House site. This part is just the lock and screws however and not the plate. What I received from Webike is the complete set and is already on my FZ1. The helmet lock key is just like my FZ1 key - so when I get my inspection later this month, I'll be asking about getting the helmet lock key keyed to my ignition key.

The replacement bolts for mounting the plate that the lock mounts on are not just longer, they're security bolts - has a raised peg sticking up in the middle of the Torx head so you can't use a normal Torx bit. The one that mounts the lock to the plate is an ordinary Torx since its protected by teh lock itself.

I'd bought a set of security bits some time back to harvest A123 cells from 36v Dewalt power packs to run in my radio controlled stuff, I was pleased that I had what it took. The bit I needed was labeled a T40H. A T30 was needed for the screw mounting the locking piece to the plate. Took all of about 10min.

YAMAHA : HelmetHangerSet [Q5KYSK056E03]

I was buying a rear bag here and took a look to see what else they offered when I found the Yamaha helmet lock! I received it today and it is the Yamaha part, 4R8-21308-01, which doesn't seem to exist on the Yamaha Parts House site. This part is just the lock and screws however and not the plate. What I received from Webike is the complete set and is already on my FZ1. The helmet lock key is just like my FZ1 key - so when I get my inspection later this month, I'll be asking about getting the helmet lock key keyed to my ignition key.

The replacement bolts for mounting the plate that the lock mounts on are not just longer, they're security bolts - has a raised peg sticking up in the middle of the Torx head so you can't use a normal Torx bit. The one that mounts the lock to the plate is an ordinary Torx since its protected by teh lock itself.

I'd bought a set of security bits some time back to harvest A123 cells from 36v Dewalt power packs to run in my radio controlled stuff, I was pleased that I had what it took. The bit I needed was labeled a T40H. A T30 was needed for the screw mounting the locking piece to the plate. Took all of about 10min.

Great find!!! Not cheap, but definitely does the job easier than the nubs under the rear seat that Eric was referring to...

Tell me what is Not expensive about owning a sport bike, lol!

For me it was a no brainer - between my helmet and Sena headset I have about $700 invested and it's such a PIA to lug the helmet every time I stop. I will not be worrying about it anymore.

If you have contacts in Japan (Europe?) here is Yam parts number that was on the bag with the lock part and the three security screws - 4R8-21308-01. This number doesn't appear to be a valid number on any Yamaha parts site I've tried here. The plate it mounts on came in a separate bag and it didn't have a Yam part number. That piece had a Y's Gear p/n.

Obviously getting it from Yam in Japan may be cheaper, but not sure it that gets you the mounting bracket which you need.

I had a 500yen coupon for mine so I didn't pay full price.....

Back