could/would going up a tooth or two on the front or rear sprocket improve mpg
Up on the front / down on the back would make it higher geared thus dropping the revs ,, on a carriage way I'm sure it would work , I have heard of a guy that did this for touring ,, that said you will probably be on the loosing side when not cruising as you may need to be in a lower gear , swings and roundabouts

I havnt ridden that many bikes to know what is a good rear shock or bad but I took my first ride on my fz1 yesterday and the suspension seems fine.I am just a fairly quick road rider it was comfortable.The brakes are a vast improvement on my old St1100 and the suspension.The seat was comfy, things have moved on dramatically in the get up and go dept.It was a pleasant surprise in that I thought there would have been a lot more wind blast.Keeping to 60 65 mph I had 300 miles to a tankfull on the st on motorway riding the worst was 190 miles.I know I will be drinking more coffee with this baby.The rear view mirrors are better than I thought on the FZ1 which is a good job I think I will need them.I think I made a good choice 2007 Yamaha FZ1 .This will make a good long distance bike well done Yamaha
just come back from a short ride.Its nice to smile again to feel good

Last edited:
totally stock,apart from carrying top box and panniers.I just fuelled at Tesco.The mileage was 144.1 miles on 13.50 ltrs. at a cost of £15.78.
one bar of the fuel gauge was still lit.I now know I can get from Stockton on tees down the A1 to Peterbrough then the next tank will get me to Folkestone to jump on the Eurotunnel for France.I am not a speed merchant and my riding style involves changing up at 2500 to 3000 rpm.I do cruise at a registered 60 65 mph on the clock on duel carraigeways..I have an hgv class one license and try to have as much fun as poss beneath the national speed limit in England.But once in France I try to enjoy myself a little more.I think in France I will be looking to 140 miles and look for fuel.Sorry In France I make sure I enjoy myself more.

Last edited:
Hello ,
just got back from a trip to France,1000 miles three days .I found myself pulling in for petrol every two and a bit hours .There was still fuel left in the tank but for fear of running out I was aiming for 130 miles max per tankfull.In England I was ever mindfull of the pace I was traveling at in France I just kept up with the flow on the motorways.In Frances rural beautiful twistiness it was fun fun fun.I found the suspension was brilliant for my style of riding ,the front brake was very good and the postage stamp seat more comfortable than I thought it could be.. I am 59 years young and had been away from biking for a number of years and found the FZ1 to be a very quick comfortable tourer the tank range meant more cups of coffee but hey ho I was on holiday.
https://dogslow.smugmug.com/Yamaha-FZ1-Arras-France/

Well its Hello and Goodbye,FZ1 I enjoyed you, your postage stamp seat was comfy my biggest day was nearly 700 miles.The downer was tank range and aching knee's apart from that I liked the front brake the engine was sublime it just proved to be the wrong bike for my type of travel.Hey Ho welcome 2015 Kawasaki Versys 1000 a gentlemans high speed tourer .Have fun and keep safe

Back