Healtech Mounting and wire routing???

Phil_RC_1

To Anyone using the Healtech Speedohealer, Are you having any surging issues with it? If not, Where did you mount it and where did you route your wiring? Do you have the Top Speed recall button wired in? Pics would be great too :)

I am experiencing a fairly pronounced surging in fourth gear. I've been through all the surging threads here and on the other sight, tried the typical "surging" fixes. Still no go. I disconnect the SH and the problem goes away. Healtech replaced the unit and the wiring harness under warranty, got the new one in,,,same issue. So, by process of elimination, it must be the position that I have it mounted or my wiring route, or my particular bike just don't like it :eek: .

Any ideas?

Phil

BTW: The manual does say not to route wiring near the ECU or ECU wire harness. From that statement in themanual, I assume that either the SH can be susceptible to interference or it can cause interference. Not sure which.

I just read about someone on this forum who was having surging problems after fitting a speedometer error fix but I'm not sure what type of unit he had. It might have been Billy but I really can't remember.

I have the V4 version mine is laying in the tray underneath the tool kit as for the top speed recall button I just have it coiled up and in the tool tray as well wires are routed up the right side of the bike.never had any surging problems

I have the V4 also. I know there's a lot of FZ1 owners that have not had any issues, that's why I want to maybe copy, exactly, someones wire routing and placement. Since this is the second unit doing the same thing, I think It has to be my wire route or placement of the SH.

I had the unit under the bridge between the front and rear seat, then moved it to under the front of the front seat, no difference. I have my wires routed to the right side of the frame under the tank since that keeps them as far away as possible from the ECU main harness (which is what the SH instruction said to do).

I'm at a loss except to duplicate someone elses setup.

I think it was Eric, here is the thread you were thinking of probably:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-garage-tech-help/11700-very-strange-problem-my-gen-ii.html

Yes, I took another look and I see it was Eric who was having some problems but I'm not sure if the problems occured just after fitting the instrument or he noticed it sometime after. In any event, any device that is intended to intercept data, masage it, them send it on to correct a problem may be sensitive to interference from other electro-magnetic problems. When I look at the wiring confined under the tank/seat area of the FZ1, I can see how there must be signals all over the place emanating from the main harness. Rule of thumb when trying to eliminate interference is to keep wires that you don't want to "pass" information between each other from running parallel and close.

I think it was Eric, here is the thread you were thinking of probably:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-garage-tech-help/11700-very-strange-problem-my-gen-ii.html

Sounds like Eric's problem is similar but surges in other gears and mostly in 2nd gear, in a certain RPM range. Once mine is warmed up, I have no surging in any other gear (4th only). He has a different type Speedo correcter so that may explain that. I'll be watching that thread to see how his works out for him.

I have thought about shielding the SH signal wire harness. Something I will try if rerouting doesn't help.

Meanwhile, Tomorrow I'm out of town on business until Thursday next week so mine will have to wait. Today I rode it in, still surges in 4th, I just don't hang-out in 4th too much.

Last edited:
Problem solved,,,, kinda!

First I have to give HealTech Electronics compliments for being courteous, very helpful and easy to work with. I have exchanged several e-mails with them and they have quickly replied with concise responses. They replaced my first unit under warranty and included a new wire harness with the replacement. :tup:

Today I received an e-mail from Norbert giving me a few suggestions to try.
Copied from the e-mail:

Hi Phil,

Sorry to hear that the problem persists.

1) Please try what happens when the SH memory is clear:
Press SEL+SET until "E" is shown.

2) If the problem does not show up with zero calibration, please try e.g.
-5.0%

Step 1 & 2 resulted in no surging, so I tried -8.0 which worked as well. -8.0 is almost exactly the error of my speedo, so I wanted something around -7.0 to allow some margin for error. Any -7.X number had some surging, the closer I got to -7.0, the more surging. Anyway, I can use -8, it is close but still very slightly under the actual error of my speedo.

I have an e-mail in to Healtech telling them my results and to see if they have a solution, but if not, I will use -8.0 and be happy with it.

Phil

Thanks for the heads-up in my thread Phil. :tup:

My next step is to undo the SpeedoDRD unit and see if the problem goes away before I do any other work on the bike. I'm still going to do all that work regardless but it would be nice to know if the healer is good or bad ahead of time. I hope to lift the tank tomorrow.

Got my response from healtech today. They said there has been similar reported issues with other model bikes but this is the first FZ1 to have this issue. But basically they said to just find a value that is compatible and go with it. I guess I expected more but that's fine too. It's set at -8. Went for a short ride last night it seemed OK. I won't be able to do a longer test until next weekend cause I'm outta town this week. I may still try to reroute the wire harness but I'm not too hopeful.

Back