Got to ride both bikes today abck to back!

my new stance is gonna be I hate everybody that has stuff I want,I hate u Krispy!!! maybe i will like u again if i can fondle the R1 for awhile!!

Upright bars on a new R1?

If one puts a higher standard bar conversion kit on a new R1 will the sitting position be anything like an FZ1? I do not know anything about R1s. Just wondering.

A local dealer parts clerk is on his 3rd FZ1, "The best bike I have ever owned and I have owned two GSXR1000s." He thinks the 2012 only looks like the 2011 because Yamaha is fazing out this 998, because they want folks to buy the FZ8, "The FZ1 is a comfortable/cheap 2006 R1. Why should they sell them for $10k, when they want to you to buy a $14k R1 or a new FZ8?"

Any thoughts? I did not sit on an R1 at the dealer. I do not like low clip on bars. A younger showroom clerk said he doubts that claim, "I have an older GSXR1000. The 2012 FZ1 is my next bike."

BTW: My wife rode on the back my 08 for the 1st time on Friday for about 5 miles in rush hour traffic. She said her knees WERE NOT up in her armpits like other sport bikes, "No, the ride was fine." But the passenger foot peg holders on the R1 seem much shorter, so higher.

Honestly the riding position doesn't bother me very much. The pegs feel MUCH higher than the pegs on the FZ1 but I have not really looked at them side by side or took measurements to verify. There are several bar options and I have only really looked at the helibar trackstars. There are other options that would require me to modify the front fairing and that is not an option because I like the way the bike looks to much to cut it up. I have never ridden a GSXR 1000 but I did own a 07 GSXR600. The GSXR600 actually fit me better than the R1. I love this R1 though, the FZ1 was my first liter bike and it's the best all around bike I have ever owned this R1 is just so much quiker and faster.

I took my girlfriend to Laguna Seca, a 400 mile trip (one way) and she thought my FZ was more comfortable then my buddys FJR! Yes, I was surprised to hear red say that, but....my bike has a Russell day long saddle, including the rear seat + an Ohlin! I didn't even attempt to ride my other buddy's R6.....with my wrist and back I wouldn't lastl long on a trip. BTW....I'm 56 and my cutie GF is 51!

I took my girlfriend to Laguna Seca, a 400 mile trip (one way) and she thought my FZ was more comfortable then my buddys FJR! Yes, I was surprised to hear red say that, but....my bike has a Russell day long saddle, including the rear seat + an Ohlin! I didn't even attempt to ride my other buddy's R6.....with my wrist and back I wouldn't lastl long on a trip. BTW....I'm 56 and my cutie GF is 51!

I think the only reason I can get by with the riding position on the R1 is because most of the time I am hanging off the side and not upright on it.

Thats interesting to hear you say that the pegs are a different height between the two bikes...
I always thought there was nothing in the difference there... although my only comparison was my bike to a mates 02 R1... oh and my memory of my old YZF1000R.

I really like your statement:
feels like a big block muscle car compared to the R1
Can't wait to get my new Akrapovic fitted then! :D

It's deceptive because I changed the gearing on the FZ and not on the R1. The R1 has some very tall gearing but it spins up quicker than the FZ1 so I actually feel it is quicker. The FZ1 feels very punchy though and is always fun to ride!

Very close

Great day for you Krisp! I have to say that looking at the last picture, they both look very similar to each other. Slap some clip-ons onto the FZ1 and shorten the wheelbase and they pretty much look the same from the rear at least.

I agree. Looking at the both bike"s passenger footpegs, I am "relieved" my wife said her first ride on my 08 FZ1 was fine. I noticed the R1 passenger pegs do not have the drop like the FZ1.

WHEW! :unworthy:

Back