Got my first FZ1 yesterday - Texas

Greetings from Texas.

I've been looking for something for short local rides when the mood takes me or friends come calling. I spotted and bought a nice '02, mostly stock with Scorpion slip-on, just shy of 15K miles on the clock.

I'm an older rider (early 50's) that has been a Yamaha fan since that fun little RD350 I had back during college. I took a sabbatical from street bikes about 18 months ago after a couple of pretty scary close calls on my '07 FJR (folks pulling out or turning in front of me) and a friend getting clipped rather badly. Before the FJR, I had an '01 Triumph 955i Tiger that was fun to ride, but a bit qwerky to wrench on.

So far, I really like the FZ1. It has the same sort of power I had enjoyed with the FJR in a lighter, more manueverable package. The throttle response is also smoother with the carbed FZ1 than with the injected FJR (the '07s had a bit too radical of a throttle cam, toned down in later years).

Within 24 hours of getting the bike, I've changed oil/filter, cleaned/lubed the chain, and pulled the air filter to check its condition. Once time allows, I'll jump farther in to check valve clearances and maybe shim the carb needles to richen the low end a bit (I can feel the lean surge). I'll probably also figure out a way to mount some brake strobes and stuff a Stebel horn in place of the pathetic stock one.

Welcome and congrats! Just remember that you don't have to worry about valve clearances until you hit 26,000 miles on the clock on the GenI so your good to go for a while. Post up some pics when you have time.

Just remember that you don't have to worry about valve clearances until you hit 26,000 miles on the clock on the GenI so your good to go for a while. Post up some pics when you have time.

Thanks Billy. I'll put that task on the back burner for now.

Plenty of other things to do -like ride it.:cowboy:

Welcome - You picked up a great bike. Lot's of Gen 1 riders on these boards so you will find plenty of info on just about any subject you can think of.
How about posting some pics of your new ride.
Also - just be forewarned......these bikes are incredibly addicting to modify. LOL In fact - some folk put as much money in mods as the bike is worth. HAHAHA I SWORE I would NEVER do that.....then I caught the MOD FEVER. (HEY MODS - That would be a cool Smiley to have "Mod Fever"

Welcome from another 50 year old Texan. Enjoy the FZ, I'm love'n mine. I got on my Triumph Speed Four today just to blow the cob webs out and thought to myself, "where's the power"?!

Welcome!

Hope you're close enough to ride the hill country on it! that's when these bikes really shine. 400 miles in a day and it'll just snort and whine and ask for more twisties.

Hi there I am a: Texan, seasoned rider, got my FZ 1 last Saturday, one of my previous bikes was a 2007 FJR. Now thats just too weird, I think we need to get together just to make sure you're not my long lost twin.:eek5:

Looks like I found myself an instant FZ1 Texans family:cheers:

Do any of y'all go on the Two Wheel Texan forums on on any of the Pie Runs? I used to ride (and will again) fairly often with the TWT East Texas sub-group (Tyler, Longview, Nacogdoches, Palestine).

2008 Gen 2 Owner #3

Welcome from another newbie. No plans on mods (Owner #1 did 98% of them). You will love the bike. I have never had so much fun riding to work, "Hmm, whats the long way home?"

:bowdown:

Looks like I found myself an instant FZ1 Texans family:cheers:

Do any of y'all go on the Two Wheel Texan forums on on any of the Pie Runs? I used to ride (and will again) fairly often with the TWT East Texas sub-group (Tyler, Longview, Nacogdoches, Palestine).

I am a member of TWT so is my bro in-law. I have not participated in many organized rides there but I could. I once lived in Tyler nice riding area, now in Montgomery on Lake Conroe.

:welcome: DaJudge and congrats on the FZ1!

You'll find a great group of Texan's here and the rest of us ain't so bad either. ;) Ride a lot and ride safe!

Some pics I just took of the new steed.

P1010608s.jpg

P1010607s.jpg

P1010606s.jpg

P1010605s.jpg

I did my first "mod" on it yesterday. Replaced the pathetic stock buzzer with a Wolo BadBoy air horn I picked up at Northern Tool. Loud as heck. It just barely fit in the same area (via a homemade bracket) from where I removed the stock horn.

Back