GoPro Hero HD (More Video added)

Ok, so here is a non-converted raw MP4 from the camera today. I had just a short while to throw the camera on the helmet and make one short video. This is on the full 1080p setting again. It was starting to get dark so the video isn't as good as it could be.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DldGUMWjzkQ]YouTube - GoPro HD on a helmet[/ame]

Okay Eric! YOU SOLD ME!!! That video is outstanding. Did you use the built-in microphone or external? Also, if it was the internal mic, did you have it on "hi" or "low"? I think I'm definitely getting this one. You don't get that "fish-eye" view like you get with mine so if your riding 5 feet from the rear of the bike in front of you, it will seem like 5 feet and not 20 feet. Nice job. I can't wait to see a daytime onboard video. That one looked great even at dusk!

Okay Eric! YOU SOLD ME!!! That video is outstanding. Did you use the built-in microphone or external? Also, if it was the internal mic, did you have it on \"hi\" or \"low\"? I think I'm definitely getting this one. You don't get that \"fish-eye\" view like you get with mine so if your riding 5 feet from the rear of the bike in front of you, it will seem like 5 feet and not 20 feet. Nice job. I can't wait to see a daytime onboard video. That one looked great even at dusk!

Hi Billy. That was the internal mic and I forgot to put on the non-waterproof door which is supposed to be better for under 100 mph. Not a lot of fisheye... you can barely catch it on the edges as you pass straight items like a telephone pole.

I have three other videos but will only be putting two of them up. I put a mount on the left radiator shroud and one just in front of the left chain adjustment on the swingarm.

So far, here's my gripes.

• Clip-on mounts are NOT tight. As you'll see in the other videos.
  • With the waterproof case, I am not seeing HOW we can use a remote mic or USB charger.
  • all inputs are on the side of the camera and the clear case prevents any of them from being used.
  • No way to mount the camers without that clear case
  • Need a larger SD card!

I'm going to write some notes to GoPro and find out what the plan is because I do not see how to make these items work and I'm not impressed with the clip mounts. They all have a small amount of slop/play in them. The camera itself is very tight inside the case so it isn't that. I can wiggle the whole mount where it clips to the adhesive mounts and you can clearly hear it rattle in the videos except on the top of the helmet or on the suction cup mount.

I suppose I could try some electrical tape and see if that stops it from rattling. I'll try some under the clip as it doesn't seem to be side to side movement but more of a slight rocking movement in the clip.

I'll upload at least the swingarm video right now... Hang tight!

Hi Billy. That was the internal mic and I forgot to put on the non-waterproof door which is supposed to be better for under 100 mph. Not a lot of fisheye... you can barely catch it on the edges as you pass straight items like a telephone pole.

I have three other videos but will only be putting two of them up. I put a mount on the left radiator shroud and one just in front of the left chain adjustment on the swingarm.

So far, here's my gripes.

• Clip-on mounts are NOT tight. As you'll see in the other videos.
  • With the waterproof case, I am not seeing HOW we can use a remote mic or USB charger.
  • all inputs are on the side of the camera and the clear case prevents any of them from being used.
  • No way to mount the camers without that clear case
  • Need a larger SD card!

I'm going to write some notes to GoPro and find out what the plan is because I do not see how to make these items work and I'm not impressed with the clip mounts. They all have a small amount of slop/play in them. The camera itself is very tight inside the case so it isn't that. I can wiggle the whole mount where it clips to the adhesive mounts and you can clearly hear it rattle in the videos except on the top of the helmet or on the suction cup mount.

I suppose I could try some electrical tape and see if that stops it from rattling. I'll try some under the clip as it doesn't seem to be side to side movement but more of a slight rocking movement in the clip.

I'll upload at least the swingarm video right now... Hang tight!

What is it with companies! Don't they do any R&D anymore??? My camera is the exact opposite. All my mounts are tight as hell but the camera had some vibration within the clear case. I remedied that with two strips of black tape wrapped around the housing of the camera itself. That stopped the noise completely. If I were you I would pick up the "Bag-o-parts" that they sell for the GoPro Wide. They are well built and do not move at all. It costs 19 bucks for the lot. It comes with two different low profile mounts, the turn screw handles, and 4 or 5 stick-on mounts, some curved and some flat. That may help remedy your situation. Regardless, the video is outstanding to say the least.

I am going to have a talk with them and send them the videos, if needed, to prove my point. I'm going to let them fix it for me. I can mod it and make it work... but that isn't the point.

I uploaded the swingarm video which is actually kind of cool when the camera doesn't rattle around. You can see the tire, chain and sprocket. :D If I can get the rattling to stop, I think it's going to be a sweet spot for catching some cool video! It's ready but still may improve.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvm4zTSL4E0]YouTube - GoPro HD on a 2009 FZ1 swingarm[/ame]

Last edited:
You'd think that since YouTube is primarily a video site, that they could process the video better than Facebook. Facebook allows more minutes and takes less processing time. Not to mention that the video looks much sharper than Youtube ever does. Check out the vids from our ride yesterday on Facebook and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, I love that angle. I've done that one. The one that I want but still haven't been able to figure out is the one directly under the tail section, forward of the rear tire. I've tried and tried, but I can't get enough clearance when the suspension is compressed on large bumps. I WILL figure it out though, "mark my words"!!

I'd like to see one under the tail!

I'm going for a shot with the camera aimed directly backwards looking at the rear tire. I want to see the tire working as well as all the lean I am getting to work on that smidge of a chicken strip on both sides. :D

I sent a support case to GoPro so I should hear from them in the next couple days. I also asked just how they plan on allowing us to run the camera from a charging adapter because this housing isn't going to allow it at all. I'll let you know what I find out.

Also, they didn't tell the whole truth regarding 8 hrs of video on a 32 GB SD card... That is now 8 hrs of 720p, not 1080p video. 4 hrs 21 minutes of 1080p is what will fit on a 32 GB card. :rant:

Still, very happy with this for the price! These things can be overlooked or fixed in some way. The camera and video quality is incredible for the price!

I know what you mean about YouTube. I'll upload the same two to FB and see what they look like there. ;) Watch for them!

Ok... YouTube released the Helmet one with the HD available. So, don't watch this embedded video. Click the title of the video to go to the YouTube version and then click the HD button.

The swingarm video is still processing for HD content. :(

Got a call today. My new Go Pro HD will be in the store on Friday and delivered early next week. Woohoo! Didn't have to wait as long as I feared I would.:)

You'd think that since YouTube is primarily a video site, that they could process the video better than Facebook. Facebook allows more minutes and takes less processing time. Not to mention that the video looks much sharper than Youtube ever does. Check out the vids from our ride yesterday on Facebook and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah, I love that angle. I've done that one. The one that I want but still haven't been able to figure out is the one directly under the tail section, forward of the rear tire. I've tried and tried, but I can't get enough clearance when the suspension is compressed on large bumps. I WILL figure it out though, \"mark my words\"!!

Good to know regarding YT vs. FB. I'll try FB next time as YT leaves much to be desired.

Also, they didn't tell the whole truth regarding 8 hrs of video on a 32 GB SD card... That is now 8 hrs of 720p, not 1080p video. 4 hrs 21 minutes of 1080p is what will fit on a 32 GB card. :rant:

I cannot wait to get one of these. Are any of your shots so far at 720p @ 60 fps? I personally think that 720p at 60fps will look much nicer than 1080p at 30 fps.

Last edited:
I cannot wait to get one of these. Are any of your shots so far at 720p @ 60 fps? I personally think that 720p at 60fps will look much nicer than 1080p at 30 fps.

Thats a great point Brad. I'd almost always rather have a higher FPS than resloution. I don't think that you'd see a big difference between the 1080 and 720 unless you were putting it to play on a very large screen. The 60fps would be much more fluid, especially on Youtube and FBook.

But at 720p 60 FPS, you're going to see that fisheye effect you so do not adore. ;)

Nope, none at anything outside of 1080p yet. Been too cold and too busy to do the full range of tests... :D

Back