GoPro Hero HD (More Video added)

The mail man came! The camera is HERE! It is charging right now and it looks like Saturday before I'll be able to get out on the bike with it. Very solid little device! Rechargeable battery pack is nice. I am thinking about getting a spare battery and always take two with me. Is that a good idea Billy? ;)

The camera has 5 video settings with two being super wide (170 degrees) and two normal wide, then one Tall Wide and one which is the 1080p 16:9 at 127 degrees.

Plenty of mount options! This is going to be FUN!

show us

Come on don't tease. Let's see a picture of the goodies(the camera)! Then I can add it to my wife's shopping list for Christmas.:shine:

Ok... Here it is!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Come on Eric!! I need to see a shot of the backside of the camera, mainly the viewing screen. Yes, rechargeable batteries are definitely the way to go!:banghead:

LOL! The remote LCD is an add-on, not included with the camera. It's not being released until around Christmas. :D

And Pete? Yes, I'll have footage on Monday. :tup: I did mount it to the drivers side window of the truck this morning and rode to work. Flawless (but boring video of a highway ride) picture and great performance! I'm trying to hack out a small piece to upload. ;)

$49.99 and you can see the accessories here: Buy Now: GoPro Hero Accessories & Expansion Kits | PashnitMoto.com

Scroll up and down to see them.

I have to play with the device because under 100 MPH, they recommend the non-waterproof door for better sound.

Thats not bad at 50 bucks. Too bad it doesn't apply to the regular wide camera.
On my camera I have the waterproof lens cover off and my microphone set to "low". That seems to work good for me. I did however apply a strip of black tape around the camera before inserting it into the case. I found out that without it, theres alot of vibration noise that works it's way into the video. With the tape on, it makes the camera fit snug inside the case and allows no movement at all, cleaning up the vibration noise. The car is a much smoother ride so it wouldn't be an issue but on the bike there is a lot of vibration which finds it's way to the microphone.

I can't wait to see a clip from it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would set it up as follows:

It would probably take half a day to systematically work through the settings.

1- Find a nice stretch of road to use that will give you privacy. Ideally with some twisty sections, a higher speed straight section, and a section that is not so smooth.

2- I would bring a small pad along and keep a record of each setting you use on each test.

3- Start with your normal camera setting, for example, Camera without waterproof door, mic on high. Write it down as test #1. Keep the videos to about 3 minutes each and then pull over and stop the camera.

4- Go back to the original starting point and start test#2. Camera without the waterproof door and mic on low. Write it down and make your run.

5- At the original starting point, test #3 waterproof door installed and mic on high. Write it down.

You get the picture. Then when you get home and you download maybe 10 or 12 videos of the exact same run, you can then go through each one and find the best result, look at what number test it was, and then you'll have the perfect all around setting. I wished I would have done that first as it would have saved me weeks of trial and error, wasting time needlessly.

Also very important! The best video seems to be when the Sun is at it's highest point in the sky or slightly to either side. If you saw my botched video, you can plainly see that we were riding with the sun very low and directly at us and its very hard to even see Tony's bike. I should have taken the video when we were on our way there instead of when we came back. My best videos were between 11am and 2pm. Just some friendly advice for you bud. Enjoy it!

Thanks for the tips Billy! This camera actually allows a remote mic too. I have one that has a 6' cord on it and will clip into the helmet so I can comment on video as I run and avoid the wind noise. :D

I uploaded the second half of my drive to work today to Youtube. It is processing but I have to add this:
  • It is NOT the original video
  • Converted to AVI from MP4
  • Split into two pieces
  • Youtube takes away a lot of the quality
  • I am replacing the audio track because wind is boring
  • I used the waterproof door and it states to use the non-waterproof door for under 100 mph if the weather is good

I am also uploading the first half of the commute to FB to see what THEY do to the video but it is still the converted piece.

I CAN say that the original video is AWESOME! 1080p on the 55" TV is PERFECT! This will make GREAT DVD videos. I'll toy with settings as well as the doors and remote mic this weekend provided we're not waiting in the delivery room for our 1st grandchild to pop out! ;)

Hey Eric, P.M. me your "youtube name" so I can save it. Also, why did the video convert to AVI? Was that a "Youtube thing"? because that never happened to me before. Or maybe you use Movie Maker to edit the video?

You Tube does do some funny things to video. I've had the same problem where it looks great on the PC but not very good on YT.

With all of the new options I think I need to add one of these to my Christmas list.

I'm looking forward to seeing some vids Eric.

I converted it to AVI and chunked it. I need a good video editing program. Not finding what I want with the free stuff. Here's the test vid and I also put one up in FB in the FZ1 Forum page.

The MP4 that was on the card was too big to send to either Youtube OR FB. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0Q54aYnwE]YouTube - VideoOut.001.avi[/ame]

I really wish there was a way to get the ACTUAL video posted for viewing because neither site along with the AVI chunking can do this justice. Incredible video in the raw format!

I converted it to AVI and chunked it. I need a good video editing program. Not finding what I want with the free stuff. Here's the test vid and I also put one up in FB in the FZ1 Forum page.

The MP4 that was on the card was too big to send to either Youtube OR FB. ;)

YouTube - VideoOut.001.avi

Are you friggin kidding me! If thats AVI then I am the Pope! Even converted to AVI, it still looks clearer than mine on MP4. Also not sure what setting you were using on the lens because the picture didn't look all that wide. Not much of a "fisheye" look to it.

Are you friggin kidding me! If thats AVI then I am the Pope! Even converted to AVI, it still looks clearer than mine on MP4. Also not sure what setting you were using on the lens because the picture didn't look all that wide. Not much of a \"fisheye\" look to it.

:D Billy, you'd die seeing the actual video then. It's amazing! I HOPE to get out this weekend and get some short runs mounted in various methods on the bike and helmet. I've got some interesting ideas for different video. ;)

The setting I used is the full 1080p for that video which is the 127 degrees. This weekend, I'll be trying each video mode at one mount point but only 1080p at all the other mount points. :Rockon:

Back