Go pro Mounting Ahead of Windshield

WABBMW

I have designed a mount for my GoPro that is quite steady, does not have vibration noises, and the camera is mounted ahead of the windshield, thereby avoiding the distortion of the windshield. It is made from some aluminum sheet metal. The fixture mounts under the two bolts that hold the right side rear view mirror onto the fairing. Since the mirror also mounts to the metal framework under the fairing, it is quite rigid. Also the rubber on the mirror base help to further dampen any vibrations.

I did have the camera mounted to the center section of my handle bars. The video was surprisingly steady, but the audio was not good - the high frequency vibrations that occur at some RPMs in the handlebars, although not bad, would still create a resonance in the camera housing that made an irritating buzzing noise. Also the distortion of the windshield. On the plus side - it was nice being able to see the speedometer and tachometer.

Here are some photos:

Yes, video and YouTube profile links please. I just purchased a GoPro Hero 2 Motorsport package, but haven't played with it yet. I love your mount, but I would also really miss the speedo and tach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good on you! I would paint it so it blends better when the camera is not in use. What is the wind noise like?

I have thought about picking up another windscreen and cutting out a hole for the camera and using the provided adheasive mounts to position it properly. I really need to get a RAM ball with a 10mm bolt to replace a brake caliper bolt.

Good job!

One of the benefits of not being able to see the speedo, is that you can't be implicated for going too fast in a school zone (or any other "over the posted limit" infractions... for that matter)! :angel:

Good job!

One of the benefits of not being able to see the speedo, is that you can't be implicated for going too fast in a school zone (or any other "over the posted limit" infractions... for that matter)! :angel:

Just claim it was set to kph. It's hard to prove who was driving and if it was actually your bike. The should be lots of reasonable doubt, but I understand if someone doesn't want to risk it. :spank2:

I still get way more enjoyment from videos that include speedo and tach in frame. So many senses are lost on video that it helps me understand how hard the rider is pushing. That said, I still enjoy almost all motorcycle vlogs and videos, especially FZ1 videos! Keep 'em coming. I hope to join in soon.

Last edited:
Here is a video, although after getting home and watching the video, I noticed a "fuzzy" spot in the center. Went and looked at the camera housing, and sure enough - bug juice right in the middle of the lens.

Anyway, this was taken while doing some very slow parade laps at GSS, near Alvin, Texas. I hope to take some others this weekend.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbaeBbbLH9w]Parade Laps at GSS on 7/28/12 - Bevo's Noob Ride - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video, although after getting home and watching the video, I noticed a "fuzzy" spot in the center. Went and looked at the camera housing, and sure enough - bug juice right in the middle of the lens.

Anyway, this was taken while doing some very slow parade laps at GSS, near Alvin, Texas. I hope to take some others this weekend.

It's only in 480p :( I was hoping for at least 720p 30fps, or maybe 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps. I haven't uploaded much to YouTube, so I don't know what the limitations are and how they change it.

Thanks for the upload. I like the position.

Edit: Was this taken with the waterproof or "skeleton" rear door? I just know they recommend the skeleton door for under 100mph (and dry) for better sound.

Last edited:

Parade Laps at GSS on 7/28/12 - Bevo's Noob Ride - YouTube

Bevo is a good guy!

BDazzler:
It was taken with the "skeleton" rear door, and the "r1" setting on the GoPro. I'll try the other door, and need to experiment with the various settings. I have experienced the playback having "skips" about every second, due to the video card not being fast enough. The card has a speed rating of 10, with 32 gig of storage, but is some off-brand from who-knows-where, so the rating is probably not accurate. More videos to follow.

Anybody going up to Texas World Speedway on Labor Day? I will probably go to observe, and possibly do the parade laps.

mounting the bike somehow gives me the headache when doing the reviews..

i mounted mine on the top of my helmet. full view of the meters and roads. :D

but at the expense of some headshakes at high speeds..:rmwl:

alrite, the quick release buckle broke off during 1 of the removal, and it was a clean break with no stress marks on the plastics..

emailed GoPro and they sent 1 replacement FOC the next day. excellent aftersales customer service i would say. :tup::tup:

I also had one of the ears to break off my quick release piece upon removal. There were two supplied with the unit. The second one did the same thing. Made me wonder if I had done something wrong. GoPro replaced them, but wanted a photo of the broken piece and what caused it to break. Fair enough, but the design is not quite right or something.

Back